The great outdoors.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greg, Aug 11, 2010.

1. greg

greg Level 0 Character

Hi Guys -- This will be my first Gary Con. I'm guessing it gets pretty cold down there in March. Does the lodge happen to have any outdoor heaters if someone, such as myself, wanted to step out for an hour long cigar? I'm from Sanfran where it hardly ever drops below 60 or gets above 70.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I don't think there are heaters - Lake Geneva is not San Fran :)

I think I just wore a t-shirt outside last year, but I also seem to recall having to scrape slush of my vehicle before packing to leave, so I suppose it is was cold by San Fran standards.

3. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I live in Monterey so I am familiar with your weather. Chances are it will be cold and rainy. We had good weather last year. One day was warm and sunny (long sleeve shirt was comfortable) and one slushy cold day (30's or so). There are not any outdoor patio heaters as far as I know. You'll have to suck it up and embrace the weather if you want to smoke a big stogie. Or of course you could just smoke in the bar- as it is WI and they don't have all those pesky smoking rules. :D

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

YES!!! We do, Luke. The laws were just changed in July. No more smoking in restaurants or bars!
    DO worry Greg, we get enough smokers at Garycon so if we have to we'll huddle together & put you in the middle. :lol:

5. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I will no doubt be visiting the defacto smoking lounge, wheresoever it may sprout forth. Should I bring dice?
    XXOOCC

6. greg

greg Level 0 Character

Well guess I better bring a flask to keep warm :D

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Puts a new meaning to the term, "Smokin' dice."

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Better be a two-gallon flask, we drink here too! :D

9. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Never you fear, I'll be out there too, with a nice Macanudo and my flask of Belvedere. ;)

10. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Macanudo? Oh, man, you are now one of my favorite people. I absolutely fell in love with that cigar when a friend bought me some for Christmas a few years ago. Absolutely awesome.

Maybe I'll pick up a few to bring with me and join you.

I have to say I will miss not smoking in the bar. We even brought some boardgames (Red Dragon Inn) up there and played while having drinks and smokes. It was a lot of fun. Maybe if it's warm enough we'll be able to do so outside.

11. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Ditto. I will come armed with stogies and scotch. Of course, I like my scotch to be a bit more smoky flavored than my cigars. :mrgreen:

12. greg

greg Level 0 Character

Would anyone be interested in an outdoor AD&D / cigar sampler event? I was thinking it might be a good combo. I would bring half a box of each of my favorites to share with everyone, and then if you want you can bring 1-2 extra of your favorite sticks to share with others, if we stay away from double coronas we could probably sample 2-3 cigars in a 4-6 hour session. I'll figure out how to rent some outdoor heaters if there was interest and GaryCon approves the event. I would bring enough HC Colorado Churchills and Artuto Fuente Hemingway Classic Cameroon Perfectos for everyone. If the law permits it I would also bring a handle of black label and Hennessy VSOP but if your preference is for something less dry, bring it.

13. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Now this idea has merit. I might even offer to run an adventure in this venue...

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I'm with you guys. I wouldn't mind trying this out myself. There is a really good cigar shop in Memphis and I'm willing to be he would put together a really nice sampler box for me. This an is a connoisseur and has a beautiful walk in humidor.

If you get this on the schedule, please let us know because I'd like to sign up for it.

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I would totally be down for this. I'll even donate a bottle of scotch for the session. Don't worry, it won't be the cheap stuff. I like my scotch like I like my wimmin: smokey, spicy (with a taste of peat), and gives you a kick in the tail at the end. ;)

16. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

I smoke pipes, and LOTZ of cigarettes.. but have little appreciation for a fine cigar. I know - I'm greatly unwashed in that regard.
    XXOOCC