The world might soon lose another gamer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by LumpyCheeseman, Aug 31, 2009.

1. LumpyCheeseman

LumpyCheeseman Level 0 Character

I just got off the phone with my ex-wife. Our eldest son, 5 years old, has been dealing with cancer most of his life, and has relapsed once again. Each relapse has gotten progressively worse, and this time looks to be terminal. He has tumors growing on the covering of the brain, and around T5 on his spine, which if allowed to grow will interfere with his heart and lungs. Everything is inoperable, and it is uncertain if chemo and the other treatments will work.

If they don't work, it is estimated he has less than 6 months to live.

I'm a freaking wreck right now....I've got less than a 5th of vodka...it isn't near enough right now....

I just......I don't know what to do anymore.....I wanted to get my son into gaming as he got older, and now there is a really strong chance that will never happen....

2. amalric

amalric Level 0 Character

Wow. I feel for you, man, though I can't begin to imagine what you're going through right now. You're in my thoughts.

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Lumpy,

You're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry to hear about it. Wish I could give you some easy words of comfort but during a time like this there is never anything easy to say.

Just know that my family and I will be thinking about you and yours.

Blessings,

Derek

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Wow. That's a rough one, for sure.

Best wishes to you.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

Lumpy,

It times like these when one has more questions than answers towards God. Sometimes it makes no damn sense. The good ones seem to go first.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hey Lumpy, First of all I want you to understand that there are 'NO' answers in in that bottle. Your a very intelligent man & should know that's a fact. Secondly, all answers will come in God's good time. There is a reason for everything. I understand what you are going through. I lost both my parents, not that long ago , to cancer. I was next to my Mother's deathbed when she passed. To know & accept that she was no longer in pain was a blessing in itself.
    If you'd like, stop by this friday after 5:00. We can chat, or play a game, or just stare at the boob tube.
    Your in our prayers. Hang in there.
    Deekin, Dale & Rich

7. LumpyCheeseman

I'm at the hospital right now. He's in good spirits after having a port placed and a bone marrow biopsy. The results of everything, including the scans aren't the best, but the doctor has hope due to his responsiveness in meds during his last relapse. I'm spending the night here with him, and he is so happy to have me here. I get the urge to cry here and there because it has been so long since I last saw him, due to problems between me and his mother. But he still knows who I am and has said loudly how much he missed me. I will post pictures upon my return home.

8. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

You have my thoughts and prayers as well.

9. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

This so heartbreaking. I hope things go well for your Son. I know that dealing with this is hard, especially when it is happening to a 5 year old. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I will pray for you and your family.

I lost my Step Father last October 2nd to metasticized kidney cancer. It had spread to his spinal cord between two different vertibrae. The doctors recommended surgery to remove the tumors which we agreed to. In hind sight, we could probably would have had more time with him if we had just went with chemo. I'm not giving you any recommendations as these are very personal decisions and every case is different, but for a 67 year old man (in otherwise good physical condition), I would not recommend the surgery.

Again, I hope and pray that your son recovers from this and grows to be a strong, gifted man (and gamer).

10. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I just lost my Dad to cancer this month. He fought off lymphoma once, 10 years ago, and it came back. He also had lung cancer this time, and artery blockages. He took all 3 on and beat 2.

All I know is that I was there with him through it and those are lessons and good things. The only answer I can give you is love to the fullest, concentrate on his comfort and make sure that whatever happens, good or bad, he knows you love him. That's what I did for Dad and it helped us both, all the way through.

Wishing your son and your family the best in prayers and support,
    Michael

11. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

12. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I honestly don't know what to say. It is a terribly unfair and heart wrenching situation. I wish you and your son the best. I pray that he grows into a great gamer and that you get to share many hours around the table together.

Luke

13. LumpyCheeseman

Hey everyone, sorry to not respond for so long. Long story short I was in jail for a month..... it sucked

14. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Glad to see your out. :D When you get a chance you will have to stop by. We are starting a new rpg, on the 17th, & you need to develop a new character. Sorry you missed Hoopla, it was a great time & everyone was asking where you were at. I told them you were hunting polar bears in Africa but, thet didn't seem to believe me? :? Anyhover, hope everything is going better.

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

What did I tell you about going to "training seminars in Somalia"? Bad idea, and look what happened. Sheesh, no one ever listens to the Druvas. He knows best, you know. Why is he speaking about himself in the 3rd person?

Seriously, hope everything is all worked out.

16. LumpyCheeseman

Yesterday I was told that my oldest son was just given 3-4 months left to live. He is 5, almost 6 years old and has been battling cancer most of his life. This is his third relapse, and they have found tumors in the lining of his brain, in his spine, in his kidneys, and I can't remember where else. Me and my ex-wife had the longest talk ever (since our divorce) about what to do. He originally went back to the ER to have a shunt placed in his head because he had fluid building up, which would have cause hemoraging and have killed him already.

I went up to Children's in Milwaukee to see him last night. He says he wants to "fight the bad guy's" and not give up. The only problem is me and the ex don't want to subject him to even more treatments if nothing is going to happen of it.

We have 3 choices.
    1) Let him live the rest of his life without the med's, so he can at least stay at home with his brother and keep going to school for a litle while
    2) Low dose chemo (non-radiation I think it was), single treatment. It won't extend his life any, but it may or may not help. It might even make him worse
    3) Some other med they tried once before that he rejected. They think it might help some this time, but will only extend his life for a couple more months.

So long story short, one way or another my kid might not see his 6th birthday this year.

F*** my f***ing life....

17. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Lumpy,

I wish I had words for you at a time like this but I don't. I just want you to know that someone is thinking about you and your son and the decision you and your ex-wife have to make.

Peace & Mercy,

Derek

18. forgemeister

forgemeister Footpad

Nobody should have to go throught this dude. It is an abberation of nature when children preceed their parents - its just not supposed to happen that way.

I know that does not change a damned thing.

Cherish, and use to its fullest, the time that you have. Life is the only game we all lose, and where wining or losing is far less important than how you play.

We'll be hoping for you out here.
    XXOOCC

19. Dale

Dale Administrator

My heart is with you man. So many things don't make sense in the world-- and this is one that is high on that list.

Prayers & thoughts are with you & your family.

20. LumpyCheeseman

He's back home and happy according to the ex. I'm hoping to maybe see him this weekend.