Troll Con

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Jul 6, 2010.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

So, is anyone here going to Troll Con? Looks like I'm going to get some vacation this summer and so the family and I are taking a trip over to Little Rock. We're going to get there a bit early so we can do some family things and then go over to the Con for a bit of gaming.

Feel free to look me up or let me know ahead of time if you're coming. I know that the Trolls are big friends of GaryCon and look forward to see those guys again.

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

I am not, but I wish I was.

If you go, make sure you talk to Davis and tell him he needs to come to GC III. Don't allow him to give you any excuses. :D

Have fun, and let us know how it went!

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Definitely! I'll be wearing my GaryCon shirts and when anybody asks I'll make sure to tell them about it.

It will be good to see Davis again. I haven't seen him since last GenCon and he's always fun to talk to.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I have not made it to Troll Con yet, but I have spent time with the Trolls at Gen Con, Dundracon and Gary Con (just Steve there). It is always a good time. I have to get down there next year.

Luke

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

It's a good part of the country. I think you'd enjoy the Con plus there are a lot of things to do in and around Little Rock for the whole family. (That's the nice part....family vacation with a bit of gaming thrown in.)

If you're ever able to make it down, let me know and I'll buy you lunch.

Derek

6. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Derek, I'm going!! Just decided about 5 days ago. Glad you'll be there and I look forward to seeing you again. Hopefully, we can get in some gaming!!

See ya in 2 (days) . . should be arriving Friday afternoon with Morty (who was at GaryCON with us).

Safe journeys!

:D

7. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Great to hear! We'll be arriving tomorrow after we get things squared away here. We've got a "house sitter" coming in and we're trying to get all that taken care of then we're going to have some family time & hopefully they'll also want to game some.

8. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hope all have a great time. Roll some dice for me!!!!! :D

9. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I had a great time at TrollCon this last weekend. Took the family and have to say they enjoyed it as well. There was a ton of RPG's going on and while most of it was C&C there were some sessions of Traveller and other games that were talked about.

It's a small Con in Little Rock, Arkansas but was a load of fun. Larry Elmore was the main guest and he was very accessible and it was great seeing his work displayed so well.

My daughter got to play in an intro game ran by Steve Chenault and she had a great time. He did a wonderful job and it showed me how very family friendly this Con can be. In the future, if you attend, I'd say there are a LOT of great things for the whole family in the area. We arrived a day early and I took the wife and kids to Hot Springs where we got to see some great sites and even picked up some pretty kewl looking quartz items.

The major thing I liked about the Con is that most of the activities didn't start until after 10AM. This gives you plenty of time to sleep in and that is really great when you've got family. You're able to get the kids fed and then mosey on down to the Con and get into some activities. I also like the way that most things ended around midnight. It allows you to get the family off to bed and then if you'd like to come hang out with those willing, you're able to do so.

If there is any complaint it would be that they need a bigger room! It was packed out in the game area and the dealers were also in the same area. While this was great for the gamers, it did make shopping a bit difficult and it was hard to maneuver the stroller around with our son in it. However, with that said, everyone was friendly and didn't even mind hearing the baby fuss a little now and then.

So, if you get a chance, stop by TrollCon in the future. If you still like a bit of the d20 mechanic along with an old school flavor, I highly recommend the C&C engine. The books are not expensive and it's quick and easy to jump into the game.

In the future, I hope to get some "geekpreacher" interviews with the Trolls. I think it would be interesting to hear some of their stories.

10. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Great report, Derek. Great to see ya and meet your family. I'm only sorry we didn't have more time to chat and/or drink a beer.

Concurring . . a fantastic CON and a fabulous weekend. I will always attend GaryCON and now I've added TrollCON to the "always" list!

:p

11. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Maybe next year. I still don't have this place set up properly and being an old fart working alone, it's slow going. Never made a TrollCon, but I've been onboard with C&C nearly from the beginning. Made SoonerCon in 2006, that's as close as I got.