TSR Belt Buckle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by LordTennyson, Aug 19, 2010.

1. LordTennyson

LordTennyson Level 0 Character

3 years ago I was at Gencon and missed out on bidding on a pair of TSR belt buckles. Does anyone know if I can get these?

LT

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

They are long out of production so you're best bet is eBay, but they pop up only seldomly. There are 3 different kinds I believe; a lizard man logo, moon wizard logo (see my avatar) and a color one which I forget the design of. They average about $100 on eBay, but I've seen them go for as much ad $250 and as little as $15 (which I missed...d'oh).

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

If I wore belt buckles that would be sweet.

If you get one, can you post a photo in here? Thanks, and good luck.

4. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I think the colored buckle I was thinking of was a Planescape, but there are apparently more than three, including two versions of both a Planescape and a Dark Sun. Could be there were three early ones (lizard, moonwizard & RPGA I'd guess) and more later. Coulda sworn I had some more pics (the single lizard man & moon wizard), but here's two that I can find:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I find more, I'll post em.

5. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

There's....a....Planescape....belt buckle? :eek:

6. grodog

grodog Troubadour

There are at least 3 versions of RPGA belt buckles, too, which I'm sure Frank can enumerate. All of TSR's early buckles were cast by the same company, but I'm blanking on the name. Frank? :D

7. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Bergamot Brass. They got bigger:
    http://www.bergamot.net/

That looks like a pretty worn version of the Copper version of the standard RPGA buckle (more often found in brass). We also did 'exec' versions of that and the TSR buckle, both with colored enamel fills in red or blue. Some of the latter are extraordinarily rare (tho the double-lizard buckle qualifies for that category too, imho).

8. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

That's pretty awesome, Frank. And a great idea, to boot! What made you guys decide to do belt buckles? It seems like an odd choice in this day and age. Maybe the 70's and 80's were all about the belt buckle? ;) It's very retro-cool.

9. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Prolly the fact that there were Lizard buckles about here and there, and our contacts at Bergamot were still there, and they were nearby, in Delavan.

There were indeed a lot of belt buckles, an expression of individuality, in the late '60s and throughout the '70s.

10. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Is it possible to still acquire an old TSR belt buckle, short of hitting up eBay? I checked the Bergamot website and the fantasy-themed belt buckles are all generic. If you have one that you would be willing to part with, I'd happily buy it from you for whatever you think is a reasonable price! I plan on attending Totalcon and GC3, so maybe we could transact at one of those shows? :mrgreen:

11. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Pretty sure I have no spares to part with. :/

(They're in a box somewhere, else I'd check.
    Most of my life is in a box somewhere...)

12. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I know the feeling. My house has been up for sale for about 3 or 4 months now and I have most of my life packed away awaiting the big move. However, I have shamelessly pulled the totes that hold my extensive D&D collection off the shelves and they are mostly open with books stacked everywhere, lol.

13. LordTennyson

LordTennyson Level 0 Character

I wonder what it would cost for a GaryCon Belt Buckle to be made?

LT

14. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I'd buy one.

15. bbarsh

bbarsh Level 0 Character

Your best bet is going to be ebay.
    They do get noted on the Acaeum's Interesting Auctions thread when they do pop up.
    Alternatively, go the Acaeum and post a want item on the classified page.
    acaeum.com

Good Luck!

16. spades1013

spades1013 Level 0 Character

I have one of the Dark Sun belt buckles.

[​IMG]

Also pictured are the WoTC 5 and 10 year anniversary tie/lapel pins.

Yes, I know it's a poor picture.

17. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Wow! Still an awesome pic!

18. smokin

smokin Chevalier

I personally would not go outta my way to buy one but wow, they would be OUTSTANDING prizes.

19. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Feel free to mail me those cool belt buckles so I can take some good pics for the general masses ;-)

20. smokin

smokin Chevalier

You guys with the belt buckles have inspired me to create my next AD&D character. Fighter type with his initials on his belt buckle and his brass knuckles. T.S.R ....now the name, hmmmm...any suggestions. Kaskoid's given first name for the T, Duke's surname for the S, hmmm...R ?.....anyone famous in gaming histories last name ending in R?