Wednesday?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottmaruna, Jan 4, 2020.

1. scottmaruna

scottmaruna Level 0 Character

Hi all...looking for some honest advice/information...This will be my fourth Gary Con, but I have never been there for a Wednesday for the pre-con activities...Can anyone tell me what all goes on at the Grand Geneva on a Wednesday, is it worth an extra hotel night to be there? If I had to chose to be there Wednesday evening vs. Sunday morning, which would you choose? Thanks!

2. jim

jim Level 0 Character

At XI, there was badge pickup, a screening of Zardoz, hanging out in the bar, meeting people, and a generally high level of excitement about being at the con. Presumably several pickup games happened as well.

Sunday morning was a lot more low-key by comparison, which isn’t a bad thing.

Mitch the Bard likes this.
  3. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Ahh Wednesday night. It's when you get your Sunday morning hangover started.

Several things occur on Wednesday night. One - drinks in the bar. come on by and I'll buy you a drink. Second, the reconnect with friends. GaryCon is the genesis of so many great friendships and we often spend the first portion of Wednesday night drinking and catching up. Third, at some point people start saying things like "I came to game, motherf$%!*er - 3d6 in order!" The next thing you know, games have started; and not all of them are drinking games!

Sunday does tend to be a nursing of hangovers, grabbing the last moments of gaming, saying goodbye...etc. Unless, of course, one stays until Monday....

4. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Stay through til Monday? What dumbass does that since GCIII?

jim skach likes this.
  5. jim

jim Level 0 Character

This dumbass. I was worried about making it to MKE for a mid-day flight, so I stayed an extra day. Turns out, I wouldn't have missed anything leaving before noon on Sunday, so that's what I'll do at XII.

6. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

We would miss out on the Sunday Night game. Separated temporally from the masses...

Ancalagon and sir jon like this.
  7. Yeah, it's kind of weird staying until Monday. By then everything has been put away and it's like the Con never happened.

8. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Wednesday night is just good clean fun. No stress of getting to your next game, or setting up your next game. It’s way better than hangover Sunday. :)

Mitch the Bard and SoulCatcher78 like this.
  9. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I disagree, rizgard. It's the best...it's like it used to be at the Ridge when there were only like 250 of us. Just. Gaming.

10. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

You get an extra hour of sleep since time moves forward on March 8 instead of during GaryCon.

scottmaruna likes this.
  11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Yeah, this dumbass too. I wonder who started that tradition?

Poindexter likes this.
  12. dekelia

dekelia Level 0 Character

GCIII was when we started staying Sunday too. I think the Ridge gave a big discount for an extra day for some reason.

13. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

Wednesday is great!! There is energy and excitement in the air.

Some of my favorite Garycon memories are helping to play test and finalize a game or two.

It’s a great opportunity to run just about any pickup game. So bring something to play.

scottmaruna and sir jon like this.
  14. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

dinner with Skach happens Wednesday.

15. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

The first year at the Grand I ended up with food poisoning from it!

16. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Diaglo is great at finding lost charge cards.

17. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Wednesday used to be FrankenParty, ended last year. They did a Pizza Party with Spotted cow beer / it was pretty good (the beer, the pizza was crap).

We usually arrive at 3 AM and nap somewhere, then go roam around lake Geneva and take pics, head to the Rivieria ... Maybe hit Bittners, a Diner for some breakfast

We catch up with people and offer to help carry stuff for friends into the dealer room. Lunch in the Grand Geneva

It is a time to catch up with people you may not game with but want to see in a relaxed time... We also did a simple card game.

I do make a list of anything I need to do or people to see before I go so I can make sure I have things to get signed, pictures I want with people and what I need to accomplish for the weekend

Mitch the Bard likes this.
  18. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Wednesday: arrive, unload, drive to Bruno's for discounted liquor
    Sunday: finish off the discounted liquor

Both nights involve hanging with people I generally only see at Gary Con, some for a dozen years now.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  19. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Bruno's!!!

20. Mitch the Bard

Mitch the Bard Level 0 Character

Thank you everybody - on your recommendations, I am now coming in on Wednesday :)

sir jon likes this.