Well Done GaryCon!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fuesar, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Totan-

That puts a damper on your con experience. Sorry you had an issue. I spoke to your better half about that Sunday, but you had already corrected the problem. I brought this issue up to both Dale and Donal to see how we can avoid it going forward.

Luke

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

My impression is that the new management is a more professional and competent bunch, so I'm fairly confident that the combined efforts of Con and Hotel staff will get things worked out. I mostly mentioned it because it wouldn't surprise me if a number of people didn't notice the extra charges and I don't want anyone to get shorted.

3. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

Other than having a racist homophobe (GC guest) want to punch me in the face I had a great time. :D Things calmed down a bit after flashing a photo of my GF, perhaps the ruffled shirts give the wrong impression. However this is the 21st century, thought we could leave all that nonsense behind.

Anyway, great con and always my favorite. Looking forward to next year. I have some new ideas for costumes and adventures.

Michael

4. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I would have thought that the negative attention would have gone to Luke - in the BRIGHT ORANGE RUFFLED HALF SHIRT. Yeah, I saw you two!

BTW, I loved the KISS/Gene costume - Dressed To Kill was a great choice for keeping it simple; I was quite the KISS fan as a kid.

5. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

Michael,

My sister, who visited on Saturday, spotted you across the room as we entered from the VIP room and said, "That guy looks like Brother Maynard." She loved it when I told her it *was* Brother Maynard and the game was based on "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

Michael, I am sorry this happened. This is not cool- or acceptable at our gathering. Gary Con is open and accepting of everyone- you just can't be toolbag.

If this occurs at any future Gary Con, please find a Staff member or Volunteer. We will personally deal with the issue directly. Play well with others- or have your badge taken and asked to leave. We have booked the entire Resort, so this is a private event.

We want this to be a fun and safe time for all.

7. tellion

tellion Footpad

Best Con Ever!!! And Dale personally accepted the challenge to top it next year. I can't wait to see what the GC staff has planned, but one thing is for certain: I will be there to see it. Maybe they will even dial in another week of beautiful weather so we can run some of the games outside on the new patio, assuming we return to the Lodge... okay, I won't expect too much, but the bar has been set high, weather not withstanding.

cheers

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Errr... that was an interesting evening. Night. Morning. Whatever. As you said at one point, stupid can't be taught... or somesuch. I won't quote it. I think next year, all the gamers should get ruffled shirts and call everyone "cool" and say "man" every other word.

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Perhaps the encounter can mostly be blamed on the "wonders" of excess alcohol - you know, but combined with ignorance. Last year I think the big almost fight was the locals that couldn't seem to get their pants above their thighs causing trouble - ignorance is a guarantee there.

10. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

LOL, I believe the quote is "You can't fight stupid". :D

11. johnabbottnet

johnabbottnet Level 0 Character

I had a blast!

I have a "best of pics" that I'd like to share.
    Is there a gallery attached to the BB, or do I have to link images that are hosted on another page?

12. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Pic Gallery is still on the To Do List. Best bet would be to host them in a publicly available (no account needed to view) space and link to it. Maybe start a new thread GC IV Pics...

13. go0gleplex

go0gleplex Level 0 Character

The wife and I had a complete blast at GCIV, our first time attending. We're already trying to figure out how to afford a return for next year...and hopefully this time around my voice won't be sounding like death warmed over. :roll: Thanks for the enjoyable weekend guys. :)

14. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Yeah, definitely not cool.
    Upon brief reflection, "security" as such isn't something this particular con lacks - leastwise in number, aptitude, and will.
    Thankfully a bunch of good, peace-loving folk, too, there to have fun. But also handy for quickly..."shutting down" someone whilst awaiting Lake Geneva's finest. :ugeek:
    (also, a relatively good scenario for the would-be offending party, at that)
    :cool:

15. ogrevampire

ogrevampire Level 0 Character

This March was my first Foray (You guys need to advertise in Chicago!!)

I met many great people, reminisced with folks I haven't seen in 25 years, and overall had the time of my life, playing in not One but 2 Frank Mentzer games.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Ogrevampire. All of the GC staff, volunteers and GMs put a lot of effort into making Gary Con a special event. I am glad you joined us for our celebration. We usually post up flyers on the site that you can print out and post in your local hobby shop. Maybe you can help spread the word.

Luke