What is Everyone Running at GaryCon IX this time around?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmillard, Sep 25, 2016.

1. grodog

grodog Troubadour

I'm running 3 sessions of my version of Castle Greyhawk on-grid (assuming that GaryCon approves the events at the times I requested):

Event Name: grodog's Castle Greyhawk
    Preferred Start Time: 1) Thursday night 6pm-midnight, 2) Friday night 6pm-midnight, 3) Saturday afternoon (Noon-6pm)
    Duration: 6 hours
    Max Tickets: 8
    Game Title: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition
    Pregens: Yes
    Level of Characters: 7th-10th
    World/Setting: Greyhawk
    Short Description: Seek the fabled Ring of Gaxx in the Iounic Caverns level of grodog's Castle Greyhawk; or plumb the depths of the Black Reservoir for sunken treasure; or fight for the Jacinth of Inestimable Beauty in Diamonds in the Rough. Bring your graph paper, dice, and a healthy dose of paranoid courage! 7th-10th level pregen PCs will be provided.

For those of you who've played my levels in the past (I ran Iounic Caverns and Black Reservoir last in 2012), I have a new one on the table, my "Diamonds in the Rough" level. Iounic Caverns I'm offering to run in support of its publication (to be completed in time to be available for GaryCon!), and the Black Reservoir to support RJK's new DVD archive (my map is significantly different from Rob's original, being purely based on EGG's short story, and my own extrapolations therefrom).

I'm planning to play in Donovan's Foolsgrave on Saturday night, and to play some Moebius Maximus as time works out!

See you all there!

2. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I'm running 3 AS&SH events. The first two are reworkings of my Trouble in Vikland adventures set in Hyperborea, and the 3rd is set in Lankhmar, using AS&SH as the ruleset.

3. tacojohn4547

tacojohn4547 Level 0 Character

I'm running two AD&D 1st Ed games...same scenario both times, just on two different nights:

Thursday Night - 6:00 pm to 12:00 midnight (6 hours, 8 players max)
    Saturday Night - 6:00 pm to 12:00 midnight (6 hours, 8 players max)

Caverns of Thracia - Going Deeper!
    For over a thousand years the things that lurk beneath the waters, skulk in the darkness and lie hungrily in dank crypts have been patient, while all around them men and monsters bicker amongst themselves, bold enough to traverse the dark caverns' depths, but afraid or perhaps wise enough to leave the forgotten vaults and hidden passages alone. And still, they wait, undisturbed. They are waiting for you!

Explore the middle-levels of this classic Judges Guild adventure: admire the Garden of the Thracian King, Agamemnos....dare to approach the Palace of the Minotaur King.....or seek the Grotto of the Shaman, rumored to host the Fountain of the Gods and it's life preserving waters!!

The party will given a player map of cavern levels 1 & 2 with entrances to the next lower level(s) hinted at.

Characters of levels 5-6 will be provided.

4. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

Things Best Forgotten
    (Th/F/Sat 10 AM - 2 PM)

The ancient map depicting the Hool Marshes region was an oddity among the treasures taken from the moathouse dungeon near Hommlet. Why is there an 'X' where no settlement exists? And why was this area of interest to Lareth the Beautiful? Perhaps he sought to expand his treasure hoard. Your party has traveled far into the Hool Marshes in search of lost riches. Should be simple enough..... right?

Things Best Forgotten is an AD&D 1st Edition game for 3rd - 4th level PCs. Characters will be provided.

5. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

Reservoir Orcs
    Friday: 2-6PM
    AD&D 1e - levels 4/5 pregens provided
    Description: Reservoir Dogs ala AD&D. What more needs to be said! Note: PvP (AKA Orc v Orc) *may* possibly happen in this game.

Tegel Manor
    Sat 10AM - 6PM
    1e AD&D - levels 4-6 pregens provided
    Description: A deep dive into the Judges Guild classic funhouse! Will the group survive?

Squad Leader - Stalingrad
    Sun 10AM - 2PM
    Description: Stalingrad, the nastiest, ugliest, costliest campaign in military history. The Germans called it Rattenkrieg, or War of the Rats. That about sums it up.
    Play either of the two classic Stalingrad scenarios from Avalon Hill's Squad Leader. Multiple copies will be available for as many people who wish to play. No experience necessary, as the session will start with a short walk through of the rules to bring new and experienced players up to speed.

Scott M., Scott308, dndgeek and 2 others like this.
  6. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

DGS Presents: Denizens of the Forgotten City, a 1st Edition AD&D adventure -- The wise tell of a city built deep within the heart of the northern wastes. Long abandoned by the powers that once reigned from its splendid palaces, legend claims its treasures yet remain. And so, after trekking forgotten roads, your party stands at the foot of a great plateau atop which, stabbing upwards at the baking sun, are the ruined spires of what can only be: The Forsaken City!

DGS Presents: Reactor 4, a 5th edition Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green adventure -- In 1986 the world suffered it's worst nuclear disaster when the Chernobyl nuclear power plant underwent a catastrophic meltdown. Now, thirty years later, your team has been tasked with reentering the radioactive ruin of Reactor 4.

DGS Presents: Fortunes of War, a 2nd edition Fasa Battletech Tournament -- Join the DGS as we celebrate FASA's classic game of armored combat in an all-day tournament of second edition Battletech. Whether you fight under the banner of the Draconis Combine's elite, Sword of Light regiment; the famed Wolf's Dragoons; Hansen's Roughriders; or the Eridani Lighthorse, honor and fame await. This will be a multi-round/event team-based tournament to take place on Saturday and prizes will be awarded.

chainsaw, sir jon and dndgeek like this.
  7. welleran

welleran Footpad

Desert Shrine of the Sightless Sisters (AD&D 1E) - In the desert city, your party heard talk of an ancient ziggurat that guards a dark secret. Knowing that such places also guard great treasures, your stalwart band has hired a local guide to lead you to the haunted place where it is said a strange sisterhood of women stand guard. Characters will be provided.

The Witch Mounds (AD&D 1E) - Deep in the Northlands lies a collection of ancient barrows known by locals as “The Witch Mounds.” They claim the area is haunted by the unquiet dead, and that the Northmen interred there were once demon worshippers. Though they say the place is best left undisturbed, a stalwart band of adventurers has chosen to investigate in search of answers, and more importantly, loot! Characters provided.

Jutland (Avalon Hill, with miniatures) - Avalon Hill's Jutland, played with miniatures. Come try the classic game of war at sea. Will Britain remain master of the North Sea? Or will the German Empire overcome the odds to break the blockade and change the course of the Great War? Rules will be taught.

chainsaw, sir jon and dndgeek like this.
  8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

This. All times subject to change at present.

Thursday: 10 am, GaryCon Tournament Round 1 (Currently unknown adventure, untitled, etc.) AD&D 1e to all information I've gotten.
    2 pm, No Really, Take What You Can (An Alan Ruske Memorial Event) - All Thieves adventure using AD&D 1e, year 4.
    6 pm, DGS Presents: A Constellation of Reasons - a Dead Games Society sponsored, 21 and up age event using the Mercs, Spies and Private Eyes rules and having a very Monty Python theme.

Friday: 8 am, GaryCon Tournament Round 1 (second team).
    12 pm, Taxes? We Don't Need no Stinking Taxes! (Or, Death? We Don't Need no Stinking Death!) - running a portion of Zach Glazer's Death and Taxes boxed set, using AD&D 1e.

Saturday: 10 am, GaryCon Tournament Round 2.
    6 pm, Goin' Dark - Cyberpunk 2020 continuing adventure, year 8.

red wizard likes this.
  9. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

HYPERBOREA: Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes: Beneath the Sand (asked for Thu., 12-4)
    In the depths of Diamond Desert, skeletal remains of the legendary Viking longship Ymir’s Serpent are stranded on the dunes. Beneath the haunted ship, an ancient diamond mine stirs with sinister activity. Your band of cutthroats, warriors, and fanatics, hired by the mysterious wizard Vul Kovtu, has crossed the desert in search of legendary green diamonds, and now the prize awaits you, if you dare claim it. For legends of madness and power surround the green diamonds, and Vul Kovtu keeps his own counsel even as he sends you into danger
    ---
    Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes is an adventure by Jeffrey P. Talanian for Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea for characters level 2-4. In this session, players will delve into the culmination of the adventure beneath the Diamond Desert. No experience with AS&SH is necessary, and pregenerated characters will be provided.
    HYPERBOREA: The Meal of Oshregaal (asked for Sun., 12-4)
    Most have heard of Oshregaal, the chaos sorcerer who created the armies of tusk people that threaten the land. He lives underground, his opulent mansion set in the wall of a great cavern. But few possess an invitation to dine in his lair, an invitation scribed on a sheet of living blood, an invitation that has launched you on a secret mission to sorcerer's lair under the war-torn land. Be calm, stay cool, and come hungry. Those blood homunculi aren't going to eat themselves! Unless . . .
    ---
    Players will sit down for The Meal of Oshregaal, by Arnold K. of Goblin Punch. We will use the Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea rules for this adventure, and lvl. 1 characters will be provided.

PBurke, dndgeek and chainsaw like this.
  10. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

Join the DGS as we celebrate FASA's classic game of armored combat in a 2nd edition FASA Battletech tournament. Whether you fight in a House Regiment under the banner of the Draconis Combine's elite, 5th Sword of Light, or the Federated Sun's 7th Crucis Lancers; or as a Mercenary in the famed Wolf's Dragoons, or the Eridani Light Horse, fortune, honor and fame await.

This is a Friday and Saturday tournament event featuring FASA's 2nd edition rules for BattleTech, and will be set in the 3rd Succession War. Four teams, or Lances, will compete in two 6 hour rounds of Lance versus Lance combat wherein at the end of round 2 on the following Saturday, we will be recognizing the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finalists! Prizes will be awarded!

red wizard and sir jon like this.
  11. Friday at 12 Noon. 8 hours session, probably a break in between.
    DAY OF THE DESTROYER!

I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds! With these words. Dr Destroyer, the greatest evil mind in the world today, announced his return, along with his most destructive scheme ever. Nine out of every ten humans on this planet will die in 72 hours. Only earth's superheroes have a chance stop the massacre, but first they must find him! A 4th edition Champions adventure for up to 6 players

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    sir jon likes this.
  12. Steven Kreft

Steven Kreft Level 0 Character

Basic D&D: Keep on the Borderlands.
    Using alternate classes from the Complete B/X adventurer.

Gamma World First Edition:
    The adventurers sent to battle the Legion of Gold have not returned and The Legion has marched and burned Horn to the ground. You know of an old military base, perhaps you will find weapons powerful enough to battle The Legion there.

Marvel Super Heroes: The Day of the Octopus.
    Doc Ock has plans for New York, can your band of new heroes stop him and his diabolical machinations?

13. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

It has come to my attention that HMGS-Midwest will be running "The 300" Legends of Wargaming event so, in light of that, I'm going to shelve our "300: The Battle of Thermopylae" event for Gary Con IX and run the Conan the Despot event instead:

CONAN THE DESPOT • DUNGEONS DEEP (DUNGEONS DEEP DESIGNS)
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 • NOON - 4PM
    A savage foreigner has usurped King Numedides, strangling him to death on his own throne. Though some Aquilonians welcomed the barbarian as a liberator, most see him as a red-handed assassin, including the Rebel Four, who are strategizing their own coup d’etat. This Dungeons Deep miniatures event recounts the events of the first Conan tale, “The Phoenix on the Sword”. Play as Volmana, the dwarfish Count of Karaban or Gromel, the stubborn, giant Bossonian commander of the Black Legion or Ascalante, the former Count of Thune or Thoth-Amon, the Stygian sorcerer-in-hiding, and coordinate your efforts to remove Conan of Cimmeria from the throne of Aquilonia. Miniatures and models will be provided. No experience is necessary.

Thanks to Kevin Cabai and Leo Sullivan IV for the info.

-JmC

14. Thomas Tullis

Thomas Tullis Level 0 Character

Come play James M. Ward's new alternate-history wargame World War Tesla, where Nicola Tesla's more radical ideas such as death rays and force fields have come to fruition, changing the face of World War I. Giant walking tanks, soldiers with rocket-packs, and biplanes armed with death rays rule the battlefield. Game will be run by Fat Dragon Games' staff members. No prior experience necessary.

Thursday at 6:00 PM 4 hours Maple Lawn A
    Saturday at 10:00 AM 4 hours Maple Lawn A
    Saturday at 2:00 PM 4 hours Maple Lawn A

[​IMG]

JediSoth and dndgeek like this.
  15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

306 events submitted so far, 26 board games, 33 miniatures events, 222 RPG events and 25 seminars/workshops if I counted correctly…

Attached Files:

16. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Is there a "download csv file" button or option? I didn't see one the other day when I looked. I even asked JT about it. He said there is an API for that in the works but it isn't public yet. He said to bug the Gary Con folks (which I haven't done yet).

17. Steven Kreft

Steven Kreft Level 0 Character

You Warriors are pretty good.

The best...

18. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I didn't see one. I just copied and pasted the text for now.

19. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I'm planning to run several sessions of Dungeon World, but I'm struggling with event descriptions. DW strongly supports improvisational play based on input from the players. There is normally not a need to have a prepared adventure in advance of play, although you certainly can do that. I'm not sure whether to establish a loose outline for an adventure for each session and advertise it in the event description or leave things more free form. I'm afraid an event description without a strong hook identifying the adventure to be played will not attract players. Stuff to ponder.

20. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

306 that have been scheduled so far. Submitted is something more since the report ends at 748.