What to do with all this extra silver???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erik Olsen, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

I can barely pay for myself, although I never thought to ask strangers to fund my trip to a con.

2. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I'm a world-famous novelist, sitting on top of my dog house with my typewriter.

"It was a dark, and stormy night..."

Scott308 and Erik Olsen like this.
  3. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

LOVE IT! LOL What is some of your work, I'd love to know :D I've been so knee deep into my dissertation I cant tell you the last thing I've read for pleasure.....

Tink333 likes this.
  4. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

You COULD just click the link in my signature, but in the interest of not being an anti-social curmudgeon, I'll be more verbose. :D

I have two series out currently, and one that I'm working on.
    Zack Jackson - a sci-fi series intended for younger audiences (though it has plenty of adult fans) that is best described as a sort of Harry Potter in space. Zack Jackson is a 12 year old from 43rd century Wyoming who goes off to school at Cytherean Academy, where his reckless enthusiasm curiosity often gets him into trouble. I've tried to make it fairly hard sci-fi, and I put a lot of research into each book so the science is as accurate as I can understand it (apart from humanoid aliens and FTL, but I do give lip service to time dialation). There are three books in this series so far: Zack Jackson & The Cult of Athos, Zack Jackson & The Cytherean Academy, and Zack Jackson & The Hives of Valtra. There are more books planned. Maybe 3-4.

The Foundation of Drak-Anor - A two-novel series, Wings of Twilight and Iron Fist of the Oroqs, follows a clan of "monsters" as they work to repel outside invaders and find recognition for their sovereignty in a world that just wants to kill them and take their stuff. These were my first novels and are mostly from the point of view of minotaurs and draks (think kobolds). People describe them as a "reverse dungeon" crawl. They take place in my original fantasy world of Calliome.

Scars of the Sundering - My latest series follows a few of the characters from The Foundation of Drak-Anor when they learn that being accepted in the world means they have to answer for their actions and take responsibility for what they do. Malediction is the first in the series and when Pancras the minotaur necromancer and the drak twins get snowed in in a human city, they inadvertently get involved in a political struggle that will have long lasting repercussions for the nation of Etrunia. Lament is the second novel and is currently in editing. Salvation is book three and is waiting for editing (I've written the first draft).

The first fantasy series can be summed up as "Acceptance" and the second is "Responsibility." They're categorized in epic fantasy, but the stories are more about the characters than what's going on in the world. Events that occur serve as a catalyst to explore the characters. I'm working on a short story set in the same world, too.

I also have two sci-fi short stories published in Fear the Boot's Sojourn Anthologies. They're dark and gonzo with technomancers, elf-like galactic oppressors who keep humans as cattle, and lingering existential threats.

5. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

My apologies, I had no idea we could click on the profiles like that. We learn new things every day! And thank you for your patience, I'm new to the forums :D I'll check your work out!

PBurke likes this.
  6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Didn't someone fly in from China last year?

7. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Are we talking about Luca, or the guy that wanted to do some sort of documentary or podcast or something?

8. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

The Aussie who started a gofundme so that people can pay for his trip to GaryCon. I'll not comment any further on the propriety of such a thing.