What to run, what to run...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffery st. clair, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Hey all, I could use some input.

For the last two years, I've run two sessions of AD&D and one of Star Frontiers. Last year, all three sessions filled up - Star Frontiers was very quick to fill, as mine was the only SF game at GaryCon. So here's what I'm pondering:

I definitely feel the need to add another Star Frontiers session or two, and I'm also thinking of running a Mazes and Minotaurs game, just because. But what about AD&D? It seems like there is already a plethora of AD&D games at GaryCon, so I'm not sure I should take up time or a table running AD&D games next March. What do you guys think?

2. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

I'm of the opinion that you can never have enough D&D, so if you go that route, that's great! However, I love the old school, oddball games you can't seem to find anyplace else. Gen Con is fairly horrid for old school goodness like Star Frontiers, and those kinds of games at smaller local cons never attract players, so they never run them and opt for Pathfinder, 4e, and -- I dunno -- Magic The Obsession or something. So Gary Con is the locale where I look for and play in those "can't find 'em elsewhere" RPGs.

The crowd Gary Con attracts not only is aware of these games, but actively seeks out and plays/runs in them. (I played in your Star Frontier game, in fact.) I encourage you to run one (or more) of those more obscure games as there will be takers and, honestly, how often to you get to run something like "Mazes and Minotaurs" for a group of folks who WANT to play Mazes and Minotaurs? This is one of the reasons I'm planning on going crazy-obscure on two of the games I'm running. (It Came From The Late, Late, Late Show and Ralph Bakshi's Wizards!)

3. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Agreed.

D&D is something almost everyone can find a group for on their own.
    GenCon has everything that's hot and new.
    GaryCon is the best place for old and/or obscure.

4. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I am not so sure of this. I see plenty of people resorting to Google+/Skype etc for old school D&D games because they can't find old school players locally. For example, I live in a town of 1MM+, post everywhere, do meetups and visit local gamestores. In three years, I have found three or four people in total. Just because D&D is more common at Gary Con, the mecca of old school gaming, I would not assume that is true elsewhere. Plus, even if guys may have groups at home, it's still cool to play D&D with your online pals you only see once or twice a year.

Anyway, I do think having some more obscure games is cool and a great feature of Gary Con, but more because there is so much time to game there than because it's easy to find D&D players. Honestly, I would argue that it's much easier to find people to play non-D&D stuff locally, as friends and family are less likely to have any preconceptions about the obscure stuff and will be more willing to give it a try. YMMV and all that.

JCS, I would offer what you have fun DM'ing.

5. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

And that's it in a nutshell, really.

6. jeffery st. clair

That's about where our Lake Geneva group started. But instead of looking for existing AD&D players, I invited any curious folks to come give it a try, and taught them as we went along. Now there is a solid Lake Geneva contingent of AD&D (and Star Frontiers!) players. If you check out the Wednesday Night AD&D thread, about ten of the folks in the pictures were new to AD&D and there are at least four more recruits who aren't in any of the pictures.

Okay, then. AD&D, Star Frontiers, and Mazes and Minotaurs it is. I'm gonna have to figure out exactly when I'll have time to play....

7. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I love reading stories like this one. :cool:

8. francisca

francisca Troubadour

There is plenty of D&D and "wannabee" D&D being played, so people should be able to get their dungeon delving fix in at other tables. So my suggestion is to run more SF, take a year off from running AD&D, then re-evaluate.

Personally, I'm planning on running an Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperboria game, probably some AD&D Open and/or Living Adventure sessions (depending on what Donal needs) and a few off-grid games. This is going to be a heavy DM-ing con for me.

9. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I say run what you enjoy. This year I am doing more 1st ed. AD&D then I usually do, but it's what I feel like doing this year. I am stoked to run multiple sessions of Oriental Adventures this year along with one segment of the DGS 1st Edition AD&D tournament. But I may still run a session of Top Secret. ;)

10. smokin

smokin Chevalier

I am bringing the next rendition of SpellsnStuff. The castle diorama isnt there, but it has been playtested and recieved very well. For those who played in The Chaos Towers of Blood at GCIII, and new ones, you will find yourselves below in the dungeouns...."Under the Chaos Towers of Blood". Warhammer Fantasy/Home Rules.
    I also want to bring my favorite 2nd Edition module. It is a shame the module has the 2e branded across it, some will be turned off to it just because of that, but, it really is a great one. Kaskoid has seen it a couple of times and has commented and can attest to how unique it is.
    My question to the group here, should I list the module just once? Is there usually an over abundance of games already?
    What I would like to see happen....one slot in a normal convention format slot, another slot for new players/kids and one slot for late night party in open gaming.

11. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Under the Chaos Towers of Blood runs all day Saturday!!!
    Does the module "His Majesty's Retainers" AD&D 2nd Edition (Friday 2pm) count as DGS?
    Still kicking myself for not getting the KISS rings. Dont want to miss out on any more of the zaniness that DGS brings.

12. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

It most certainly would seeing as 2nd edition AD&D is an edition no longer supported :)

13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I'm with Rich, swap out for more sci-fi and other games, then re-evaluate. I don't think there's ever enough D&D at the con, as I *may* run one AD&D slot meself, yet I know I'm adding another slot of Cyberpunk for some other kind of fun. Plus, I always dig your games, Ken.

14. jeffery st. clair

Thanks, Jon. I've submitted one AD&D slot, one Mazes & Minotaurs slot, and four Star Frontiers slots - two re-running last year's scenario, and two running my scenario from GC III. The AD&D game is a rerun, too, so that I only have to write one new Mazes & Minotaurs adventure for this year's Con.

15. smokin

smokin Chevalier

I have no idea who ran it at Garycon 3. But....is the crap table game..."Soul craps" running again?
    Was looking forward to seeing how the game finally polished. We/you should move it to the bar.