When will purchasing Events be activated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fuesar, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Fuesar

Fuesar Footpad

Very excited for our 3rd Gary Con!

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'm ansty, too. I've got my grid of events to consider half-filled.

Nobody knows, though, because it's predicated on when events are fully processed.

My guess would be that it ends up being the weekend of the 2nd or 9th.

Whatever is chosen, there'll be lead time for studying the list.
    But we're getting close enough that I'd recommend people who want to maximize their preparations be checking in daily by now.

3. lige

lige Level 0 Character

So February?

4. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

I am really hoping that it's not the 2nd, that's Superbowl Sunday. Internet traffic is bound to be heavy and I recall serious lag last year. Not to mention that I am traveling that day :cry:

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Ah - good point. Hadn't thought of that.

Probably. End of January isn't totally out of the question yet, but seems unlikely to me.

Based on the Super Bowl, I think I'm moving all my chips over to weekend of the 9th.

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

We are working on the details of when the start of Event Registration begins. We will make the announcement once the date is finalized. Currently we are getting all the VIP events submitted and last minute DM/GM's are sending them in.

7. Blackthicket

Blackthicket Level 0 Character

Can anyone give a little insight as to how event registration works? Is it a mad rush with waiting and refreshing because so many people are trying to get the same event? I assume the VIP events go fast, but for others...is it generally pretty easy to get an event you want? Thanks in advance.

8. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Mad rush for VIP events - some fill up in 60-90 seconds. Other game fill speeds are really random, but at least a few will likely fill up by the end of the evening. For best results, I would recommend attempting to sign up within the first five minutes. That's my experience, at least.

Remember though, there is a ton of off-grid gaming that happens. Many people I know will go for three days and only sign up for 1-2 formal events and fill in the rest with pick-up games.

9. capitalbill

capitalbill Level 0 Character

Nah, I would recommend everybody else waiting a good 20-30 minutes for me to first sign up for the games that I want. Then you all can sign up for the ones you want.
    :twisted:

10. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Hahah! Yes, I meant to say "For best results, wait until the following day."

11. Blackthicket

Blackthicket Level 0 Character

You guys are all heart! Thanks for the advice...I think.

12. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Level 0 Character

Even if your desired event fills up, always check in at the registration desk during the con. Some people may have a change of plans, and be unable to make a game or even the entire con. As a matter of fact, I sat in on a game or two as Chainsaw last year. Thanks, Chainsaw! :)

13. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Haha! You rapscallion, you. :lol:

I did have to cancel at the last minute last year and that freed up slots, so he's definitely right. If you can't get in on something during initial online event registration and still have an open slot at game time, check out the game that was full. You might be able to replace a no show/cancellation and sometimes a super friendly GM will accept an additional person.

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

Also, don't forget that events will be submitted after Event Registration closes. There will be many cool games to play when you get to Gary Con.

The nice thing we do is the self-marshaling at the tables. If you walk around and see a "green sign" the table is still accepting new players to join. So, just come to GC ready to play as many games as your body & mind will allow.

15. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Oh, I'll be ready! I will probably end up playing in more games than my body & mind will allow, but I'll catch up on sleep when the Con is over. :D

16. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

I'm working on my list of games I want to play, and I'm torn as to which way I want to go. On the one hand, I can fill my schedule with as many games as I can fit in. On the other hand, I think I might leave spaces, hoping to find something that gets submitted after registration or something in the open gaming area. I would actually be surprised if I register and don't change at least one game, due to something I wanted to play that was full opening up or finding a time to play in a game with people I know. Either way, I'm going to end up playing a lot of fun games and meeting many cool people!

17. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

There's a great game called "Steal Dale's Coffee" that only makes the weekend that much more enjoyable -- if your name isn't Dale. :twisted:

18. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Sounds fun. I'm in!

19. Dale

Dale Administrator

I like the game called "Kick Jon in the Baby Nuts." It's fun to play in those social sessions between gaming events. :D

20. Dale

Dale Administrator

My coffee is sacred. I'd be reduced to weeping in the fetal position without it.

Coffee = Happy Dale ;)