Where to fly into?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clangador, Aug 12, 2009.

1. clangador

clangador Footpad

So if I was to fly to Garycon, where is the nearest airport to do that?

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

First of all, welcome to the Garycon forums. Secondly, if your flying in I would suggest Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Travel time by auto is around 50 minutes, depending on time of day, traffic, etc. Second choice would be O'Hare Airport in Chicago, Illinois, but travel time is about 1 hour & 20 minutes & there is always highway construction to take into account. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

I always fly into Milwaukee.

//And, welcome to the Forums!

4. clangador

clangador Footpad

Is there a bus or anything that runs from the airport?

5. Pierce Inverarity

Pierce Inverarity Level 0 Character

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Limo service is likely the best bet. Maybe you out-of-towners can pool your resources & hitch a ride together. Rent a car or whatever. (Just a thought.) You must realize though, Wisconsin is like the Hotel California; You can check out anytime you want, but, we're never gonna let you leave! :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

7. wcw43921

wcw43921 Footpad

If you had a seaplane, you could put down on Lake Geneva. :mrgreen:

Of course, this might arouse the ire of the FAA, the FBI and other agencies with the power to make arrests--

:x "Don't move, you terroristic seaplaners! Caught you red-handed!"

:shock: "Who---us?!?!?!?"

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I have friends I stayed with who live outside of Chicago and they recommended Milwaukee. From what I've seen, it's a much nicer airport and the tickets were a bit cheaper.

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I tried the Greyhound site and it didn't seem to recognize Lake Geneva as a destination.

Surprises me.

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

The nearest bus stop is in Kenosha & there hasn't been a train depot in Lake Geneva for over thirty years. Like I said earlier, limo service or rent a car is about the only options I know of. I wonder if the hotel has a pick up sevice? Might be somethig to check out.

11. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

If I am not living in Germany by then, I intend to go. I will be flying into Milwaukee and renting a car. I am sure I could pile a few fellow nerds in if we can all figure out a way to meet up. PM me here if you are interested. I'm not gonna share a hotel room, though! I snore and the room will be full of Hooters girls :lol: ;) I hope my wife doesn't see this!

12. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Hi there!

I'm looking for a cheap way to be there on the next GaryCon, I'm quite disoriented since it is going to be my first trip in the US and I'm looking for as much as possible info like those of this thread.

I know for sure that my driving license is not valid in the US so I'm looking for a lift and I accept tips in order to rent a room/bed, the cheapest should probably be best choice... :roll:

13. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

If you're not renting a car and relying on ridesharing and taxis, then you probably don't want to be far from the convention.
    I don't really see any discount hotel locations near the convention. Lots of individual places, but I have no idea what they're like or the cost - you'd have to research them one by one.

The Lodge price isn't as cheap as you can find, but it's not bad at all for the location.
    Room sharing there may be easiest.

14. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Flying halfway around the world to game with the Old Guard. Now that is a serious gamer gentlemen!

Luca-

If you come all the way from Italy for Gary Con, I will find you a place to sleep. It will be a room share or floor space (worst-case), but I won't let someone that dedicated sleep in the cold. If you let me know what flight you are coming in on, I will see what I can do to get you a ride to Lake Geneva.

Luke

15. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

WOW! :eek:

Luke, I do not know what to say: thanks a lot!

I have to tell you that I involved a pair of friends of mine, so if you prefer to think twice it's ok ;)
    May I ask you the time to have a clear answer from them before refuse your kind offering?

Another thing: I'll not able to guess where the prices of the Lodge are showed, it is a useful info to get that answer from my friends, on the main page is reported "2 days at only 239$", is it the same during the CON? I tried to send an email at http://www.genevaridge.com/resort/contact_us.cfm but I received nothing back.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Well if you are bringing a couple friends, getting a room will be more affordable. If you call the Lodge at Geneva Ridge (800-225-5558) and tell them you are with Gary Con, the rate for a standard room (2 beds) is $88.00 a night. The room has a refrigerator and microwave- so you can buy food and save on meal costs too. There are 40 rooms available at that price- so far 21 people have reserved rooms- so 19 are left right now. I bet I can get more rooms if needed, but you should reserve by January at the latest.

I am willing to help you find a ride from the airport if I can. I imagine that fellow gamers will give you a ride if you arrive close to the same time. A taxi is 130.00 from Chicago Ohare to Lake Geneva. A limousine is also 130.00. A rental car may be cheaper for transport if you must drive yourself. Let me know what your schedule is and we will see what we can do to help out.

Luke

17. qstor

qstor Level 0 Character

I'm flying into Milwaukee. I wouldn't mind a non snoring/non smoking roomate.

Mike

18. Dale

Dale Administrator

I am flying into Milwaukee (I just booked my flight $237 round-trip).

The time to book your flights should be soon. The closer to the event date- the more expensive it will be.

Hope to see everyone in March!

19. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

What airline are you flying with? I gotta get my ticket soon!

20. Dale

Dale Administrator

I went with Continental. There are probably cheaper flights, but I had a voucher to use.

Is it March yet? ;)