Where to fly into?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clangador, Aug 12, 2009.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

How did you get a ticket so cheap? I've been looking and looking. The lowest price I can find is around $400 round-trip so I may end up taking the bus even though it will take me about ten times longer.

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Craziness. I leave on the 18th at 0645 out of Dulles Airport, Continental has a flight for $187, layover in Cleveland... Rental car for another $118 (I could have gone cheaper but I like my toilet paper quilted ;-) ). I'm looking forward to meeting all the Grogs and playing some awesome games. See y'all in March!

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

Have you tried Expedia, Travelocity, etc.?

4. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Geekpreacher, a quick Expedia check has several flights on Friday the 18th from Nashville (one nonstop for $237!) for $197 with a layover.

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Using Kayak.com, I found plenty of Tenn-Mil roundtrips in the 230s (and Tenn - Chi in the 180s!)

6. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

That is CRAZY! I live 40 minutes from Memphis and the cost for flying out of Memphis is about $200 more than it is for flying out of Nashville and the flight CONNECTS in Memphis. UnbeFRAKKINlievable.

So, let's see, I drive about 2 hours to Nashville for a 4 1/2 hour flight to Wisconsin to save $200 bucks. Sounds like a good deal but it's only a 10 hour bus trip to Chicago on a bus w/ Wi-Fi. If I go that route I will save anywhere from $200 to $350. Of course, only problem w/ the bus trip is the amount of time it takes and I don't think they offer a return on Sunday.

What a quandary! I just think the whole connecting in Memphis thing is crazy. Wish there was some way to get a cheaper ticket out of Memphis. If you find anything, shoot me a message. Lowest flight I've found out of Memphis (at the time I need) is from Kayak.com and it's $390.

Oh, and just so you guys know, I'm living on Thursday so I can get there bright and early on the 18th. It also gives me some time to hang out with a friend Thursday before the Con. Already booked my room.

Of course, if I'm able to leave out on the 16th on a bus then I may even get to hang out a bit more. Will have to see how things are working. Last year, I went during the middle of finals and that was a bit of an experience. ;)

Derek

7. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I'll keep checking around for ya', but you might start considering a 2 hour drive to Nashville... You also might consider calling the airline and see if they will cut you some slack. Either way, I'll be in Lake Geneva by around 10 or 11 am on the 18th. As the time gets closer, I'll PM some of y'all my cell phone # and maybe we can get together for dinner and/or drinks the evening before the Con starts?...

-Charley

8. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Can't you just buy the Nashville ticket and board in Memphis?

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Logically speaking, you would think so.

Don't try it without getting definite approval from the airline first, though. Who knows what wacky security procedures may be in place.
    They might not let you on if you're logged as a no-show in Nashville. Or they might have already sold the seat to someone on stand-by.

10. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Definitely call the airline to get permission for that. They most certainly will sell your seat to a stand-by of you are not there.

11. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I got a flight from San Jose to Milwaukee for under 250 bucks. So there should be reasonable airfare if you look around.

12. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've decided to take things easy in the Spring so I'm going to probably grab a bus and give myself a bit of a vacation. The megabus line is really good and you just can't beat $60 to $70 along with free wi-fi on the trip. I may leave on Wednesday if that's cool with my friend and stay with him a day or two before the Con. He's a pretty good guy and let me stay w/ him last year. (Though I'll be staying at the motel during the con this year.)

One other reason I'm thinking of taking the bus is so I can bring a pretty huge duffel bag. I've got a few things I'm going to donate for the auction and it would be hard to bring them on a plane. Of course, if I get someone to go w/ me I may just drive up and have a nice little tour of the country. After this semester, I'm going to need a bit of a spring break.

13. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I would love to do this. I have been talking it up to my wife for a couple of years now. I suppose after munchkin #2 has some years under his belt I will start the full court press for a 3 or 4 week drive across the country and back.

See you in March Geek! I'm sure a road trip will be quite fun.

14. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Just as long as it doesn't rain ALL WEEKEND LONG!!! I swear, Geek Preacher & I were almost water logged from taking our smoke breaks at last years gathering. I'd rather had snow. HEY! There's an idea. Everyone gets to the convention safetly & then we get two feet of snow & everyone's stuck here for a week!! It's March. It's Wisconsin. It could happen! :roll:

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

So... I got an email from the airline yesterday saying one of my flights had been cancelled (the return leg from Mliwaukee to Chicago). Curious why I would get this email so far in advance, I called them and it turns out I inadvertantly booked my trip for December 18th -22nd... :eek: :eek: :eek: :!: :!: :!:

Normally there is a $150 change fee (about the price of the freaking ticket) but since a leg of the trip had been cancelled, United let me rebook my trip on the correct dates and I only had to pay the difference in ticket price (thankfully only $50). Oddly enough, that was the only leg of the trip that was on a United plane. Everything else there and back was booked on a Continental flight. Now it's all United... Strange how the airlines work, but I am counting my lucky stars...

And Enterprise didn't charge me for missing my rental pick up either. I am thankful that my stupidity didn't cost me anything more than what I would have paid anyway... :idea:

16. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

I can understand wanting to get to the con early, Druvas, but that far ahead is just a little ridiculous <g>

Andy

17. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

:lol: :lol: :lol: .......Now that I've picked myself up off the floor, all I can say is, "Only you, Druvas! Only you!" Are you sure your safe for that trip out to the garbage cans?!!!! :lol: :lol:
    Glad everything worked out okay.

18. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

You're not kidding. Plus, I didn't want to bother my ride so I had to walk down to the convenience store and buy some cigarillos. I think I had a cough for two weeks afterwards and it wasn't due to the smoking.

UGH!!

I'd love to have some snow but then, if I drive, I'm going to need some snow tires. Of course, if I drive then I could have a pile of collectibles in the back of my care. :)

19. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Har har... :) I'd forget my a$$ if it weren't attached. I guess the 60's were a little rough on me. :D

20. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

If I've done my math correctly, & I normally do, you were born in '73. :?
    (OH! THAT'S RIGHT!! YOUR A$$ FORGOT!)
    Now, if the sixties were 'rough' on anyone, I'am your man, & let's not even mention the seventies!!