Who is going to Gencon?

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by mark, Aug 3, 2010.

1. mark

mark Spellbinder

How bout it? :)

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Yep

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

Could not swing it this year. I had to choose. It was Vegas...

Maybe next year. :p

4. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Alas no, not this year. Probably next year.

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I wish I was there this year. First time I've missed since 2007 which was my first GenCon. I was really hoping to be there at least for the auctions this year but it just didn't happen.

For those that are at GenCon.....I hope you're having a blast.

6. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Gencon was great this year, it marked the maiden voyage of the Dead Games Society at that particular convention and I think we did well.

Highlight was getting to sit in on the Roll For Initiative podcast interview with Frank Mentzer, he remembered me from GaryconII when I played in his monk advanture--which was very cool! Check out that podcast at http://rfipodcast.com/show/2010/08/12/i ... k-mentzer/ he makes good mention of Garycon.

Of the six games I ran, I'm fortunate to say that I had a blast in all of them, and I think my players did as well, but there are some particularly stand out moments amongst those games. I won't say that this is a definitive list by any means, these are just a few moments that currently come to mind.

1. Going through an entire stick-em book during the course of my Top Secret game. This was a game set in post WWII East Berlin, and had the players assuming roles often within the ranks of the Stassi, CIA, MI6 and West German BND. Add to this that several of them were either double agents and lets just say suspicions ran high and no one trusted anyone else. At the end, we spent ten minutes doing a "who-was-really-working-for-who" unveiling and there was a lot of surprised players laughing and congratulating each other on how well they could carry off a deception! As well as how close the head Stassi player came to tumbling this precarious house of cards.

2. In my Amber Diceless Roleplay Game, "Reflections of Amber", two girls, obviously best friends, suddenly became the most bitter rivals as they assumed the roles of sisters, Florimel and Fiona (two sisters known in Roger Zelazny's famous book series, for their long-standing feud). Then the game ended, and they were best friends again. Roleplay is so cool!

3. The time when, Knuckles, one of my players in the Gangbusters game, slammed the door on Elliot Ness, halfway through his monologue.

"Did they just slam the door in my face?"
    "Yes sir, I believe they did."
    "Get 'em, boys!"

4. Watching my Boot Hill player posse accept to meet the head of the Aces High Gang as he emerged from his hide-out to talk a truce. Then plug the dude, right between the eyes! The posters did say, "Wanted, DEAD or alive..."

5. The moment in my Cthulhu 5th edition game, when the germophobic doctor, whose obsessive compulsive disorder had everyone guessing him responsible for the "accidents" occurring onboard the Hindenburg, freaked out at the sight of a vivisected body in his once sterile steamer trunk. His subsequent freak out resulted in him being locked away in his room where he finally completely lost it as he sat alone, listening to the insanely cheery tune whistled from the next cabin over, by the actual killer, as that player had his character calmly cleaning the blood from the scalpel he had stolen from the previously mentioned doctor. Priceless!

6. Pretty much all the interplay in the Villains and Vigilantes game stood out, so no use pulling anything individual there. It was extremely fun seeing how the players assuming the roles of Frankie Ray, a.k.a. Nova and Gladiator interacted with one another, seeing as one was the herald of Galactus and the other was the Praetor of the Shi'ar Guard, responsible for protecting many of the very worlds Nova was leading her master to devour. They handled it great and their dialogue would have made Stan Lee shout, "Excelsior!" And who doesn't like hearing Thor say at least once, "I say thee, nay!" or the Surfer, go off spouting philosphic on the evils of Nova's current path in life, serving the Planet Devourer, only to be told to take a hike.

Thinking I'll take it a bit easier on event submission at Garycon, just submitting two games, a Top Secret and 1st Edition AD&D game. But then there should be at least 3 or 4 other DGS runners submitting games as well ;)

7. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Sounds like fun. You may (or may not, depending on your Dead Games perspective) be happy to note that the original authors of V&V just got rights back and published a 2.1 edition, so it is no longer dead.