Will there be vendors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by finarvyn, Jul 25, 2009.

1. finarvyn

finarvyn Level 0 Character

I'm in the Chicago area and am hoping to attend GaryCon.

Does anyone know if there will be vendors or just gaming? My sister was thinking of coming along, but her favorite part of conventions is looking at the dice and stuff for sale.

I wasn't sure how big this convention was going to be, so I thought I'd ask. :)

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

As far as I know, there will be 3-5, (probably 4) vendors at Garycon 2. It's more about gamers & gaming then the 'almighty buck'. If your near Lake Geneva during the last weekend of September there will be another mini-con called Gaming Hoopla going on. This convention draws about 150 people. You can check it out at www.gaminghoopla.com. No vendors at this one as all proceeds go to the American Cancer Society. It's still a great time! :D

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

finarvyn,

There will be vendors at this year's event. Luke is working on the details. I think he mentioned there was room for 8 tables (but don't quote me).

Lake Geneva is missing any game store or used book store with any used gaming products. I hope there will be at least one vendor with used stuff, and new items.

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I tried talking with Aaron, at Noble Knights, but he wasn't sure, & really didn't sound interrested. If anyone on the forums got a little pull with him maybe they could mention GC2.

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

There's The Last Square in Madison (not sure what they carry)
    A new guy who's been doing Chicago-area Concentric cons, but can't think of his name

Actually, the most appealing vendor for this demographic might be the Brothers Burntwire out of Indy, if they could be induced. (eBay resellers and Acaeum members who bring quite a stash to GenCon)

6. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Yes. I am going to have vendors- but very few. Last year folks wanted to have someone there to buy dice and essentials from. I am considering a few other vendors, but I want to keep the focus on gaming and not commercial interests.

Gary Con is a small con. attendance is limited to 250 pre-registered and no more than 350 total.

If you know a good vendor- like the one mordrin mentioned- send me the contact info and I'll give em a call.

7. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

The main vending someone like myself looks for is the old stuff. It's hard to find when trying to complete one's collection and it would be nice to see some of those products around. Personally, I'm not interested in any "new stuff" other than maybe picking up some dice or something of that nature.

But, honestly vendors won't mean that much if we have another kewl auction like last year. I may have missed the post but was wondering if that would happen again at GCII? If so, let me know if you'd like some donations as I've got one or two duplicates I might be willing to donate.

8. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The auction was a well-planned event last year (I think Frank suggested it Saturday morning :eek: and we cobbled togehter a good show- i think).

Yes. I will do an auction again this year with proceeds going toward the monument funding assuming it get s approved by the LG city council. Please bring in your items that you are willing to donate.

9. Contrarian

Contrarian Level 0 Character

So, can anybody remember what kinds of items were auctioned last year? Any crazy-rare collectibles, or was is more "get this extra stuff out of my game closet" material?

10. CyndiSculpts

CyndiSculpts Level 0 Character

I want to memorialize Gary for your group!
    I am a sculptor living in Peoria, IL. I grew up in Lake Geneva and went to school with Cindy Gygax.
    I don’t know how your group would feel about handmade ceramic Gary Steins or hand carved porcelain Gary medallions. However, I will donate a piece of my artwork, Gary themed of course, to your fundraising cause. If your group would like original Gary themed art, send me a vendor’s application! I would be happy to attend!
    Oh, and when it comes time to make the memorial, keep me in mind! I do cast bronze, aluminum, ceramic (indoors and out) etc… It would be a dream come true to do an art piece to outshine that creepy Andy Gump sculpture in the park!
    :roll: Let me know where to send the donation piece!
    Quote from Cindy Gygax about the first medallion I did of her father;"Cyndi, I'm sure my Dad would have been flattered, although I think you gave him too much hair on the top! ;D He would have liked that too!"
    I am working on the hair issue ;)

11. qstor

qstor Level 0 Character

12. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

His website's pretty kewl. Seeing as he's located in Naperville, Il, it wouldn't be to far of a drive for him.

13. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I auctioned #1 of 5 signed copy of adventure written for GaryCon; I think Frank auctioned a photo-copy of Vampire Queen.

14. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Mr. Kask is correct on the photo copy "edition" of The Palace of the Vampire Queen (I figured it was the only way I could get one without burning a serious hole in my pocket and not have my wife burn me at the stake :) ).

Let's see if my memory serves me correctly here - Jolly Blackburn offered up his artistic talents; there were some RPG items sold; and I do recall there being a limited edition GaryCon t-shirt being sold as well. There was a piece of artwork sold too, but I can't recall exactly what it was. I just remember it being associated with Gary in some way.

If I recall anything else, I'll post it.