Zagig's Summer Cooler

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScottyG, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Here's a drink recipe Gary came up with some years ago:
    Zagig's Summer Cooler

1 tall 10 ounce glass
    fill glass one-quarter with ice, add
    3 oz. vodka
    1 oz. triple sec
    stir gently
    fill remainder of glass with cold orange juice
    garnish with a sprig of mint

There's also a Zagyg's Summer Cooler, which is the same, except substitute vodka with gin.

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

You had my eyebrows raised when i read the recipe. I was about to call BS until I saw the Zagyg cooler with gin vice vodka. Dad rarely touched vodka. He drank gin martinis and sometimes gin and tonic or if a good gin- just gin straight up.

3. francisca

francisca Troubadour

The recipe is authentic. I remember him posting it on ENWorld.

4. Melf

I remember him talking about it at some point- but I didn't recall the vodka. So I wasn't trying to call his integru=ity into question. My apologies if it appeared so.... :oops:

I remember him making faces when I asked if he wanted vodka in a martini once. He scolded me for even suggesting it. So I am surprised to see the vodka in the recipe.

5. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

I hate vodka too. Yesterday, I was in a store with my wife who wanted me to get this vodka in a glass "skull" bottle and I was like, "Who's going to drink it?" Now if it was whiskey, rum, gin, or a liquer I'd even buy it in a glass "toilet bowl" bottle... ;)

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I didn't think you were at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

7. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

When he posted the recipe, he posted the Zagyg's Summer Cooler (the gin version) first, and listed Zagig's Summer Cooler (the vodka drink) as the alternative, but I saved it the other way around since I prefer vodka in this kind of drink.

8. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Me and Gary had many 'spirit'ed discussions, which is how I knew about his fondness for Bombay Sapphire. I prefer gin too, but I like Tangueray, which Gary would bash, along with Riesling, whenever I would mention it. I also like Plymouth Gin when I can find it.

9. Dale

Dale Administrator

This thread is making me thirsty... maybe I can get the drink prepared for me during my Vegas trip in a few days. :D

10. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I thought this post was going to be about a Beer Cooler of Protection From Thirst or some such.

11. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Me too. If I happen to have triple sec, it's on.

12. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Ahhh, one Zagyg's Summer Cooler, minus the mint sprig.

13. Melf

You should grow some mint in your yard or even in a pot. It grows easily and tastes great in drinks. My wife makes Moroccan tea (Gunpowder Tea, lots of mint and sugar). It is delicious. And it is also tasty in mohito's and Zagyg coolers!

14. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

I have been considering dabbling into the dark art of horticulture since I bought a house with a workable yard, but first I need to finish unpacking.

15. ghul

ghul Chevalier

Hah hah, Luke I once had this crazy exchange of emails with your dad while we in the midst of a project. It all started with me mentioning a vodka martini that I'd had the day before. He started to lay into me that I had no idea what I was talking about, that there was no such thing as a vodka martini. I told him, sure there is, and lots of people drink them! He refused to acknowledge them, telling me people who use vodka and call it a martini are misguided. I think I went on to tell him he was a crazy old man. It went back and forth like that for a few days. Neither one of us gave in, as I recall. Your dad was the best. :)