Any good way to see all remaining open events?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DSG, Feb 1, 2016.

1. DSG

DSG Level 0 Character

Hi! This is my first Garycon, and I've been to a few Gencons.

I was a bit disappointed with the level of communication regarding event registration. It's mostly my fault because I was perfectly capable of looking up the dates. I had a cart overfilling with events, and I knew I would have to pick over them for what I was most interested in. My delay made this task more painful, but easier. I just wish I had received some actual emailed reminders. I was surprised that there wasn't at least that. For something like this, it seems to make more sense than asking people to pay attention to a forum.

So now I'm in a position of having few of the events I wanted still in my cart, and pages and pages of full listings that I only find out if they are full or not by clicking on them.

Is there a way of getting a listing of JUST the events that aren't sold out?

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

No, there really isn't at the moment (that I know of). I made a request of a forumite who may be able to do something about that.

Either way, I'm also going to do some skimming and post some personal suggestions re still-open events that I personally recommend - maybe late tonight or tomorrow(?)

3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Brute force method right now. May gizmomathboy can work his magic.

4. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Navigation on the event catalog sucks. We know this, but couldn't get to it in time this year. I love the export to .csv function because then I can cut it any way I like, but I know that's not for everyone.

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Can you add remaining tickets as part of the .csv file that can be exported. This way people can sort and filter to see what remains?

Jarlaxle likes this.
  6. BIglehart

BIglehart Level 0 Character

And how about date and time as a single sortable field?

7. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

updated the db for my web app (with last night's data). Rescraping now to get latest data. Might do daily updates until the staff can get a csv file with that data in it.

8. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

We're actually still fully engaged on fixing registration's back-end so we can get you guys signing up again. Everything mostly looks correct for you now, but we still need to make it go again. Once we're over that hurdle, the catalog fix is next in line.

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Well, on second thought - now that an event list with seats remaining is available...there's way more still open that I thought. Far too much to list - Frank Mentzer events, Tim Kask events, Ernie Gygax, Peter Adkison, Mike Carr, David Wesley...it goes on and on.

10. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

If Wesley's Braunstein is open, take it. I was privileged to host one at a private place during GenCon about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was a blast...and a very interesting look into prototypical role playing...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  11. DSG

DSG Level 0 Character

Is it too late to ask for a refund? After this past weekend, I scrapped together a new cart with some interesting things, and without notice in the past 24 hours, many of my selections have been removed. I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but it's made me a bit nauseous.

12. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

There seem to still be plenty of VIP events left (not sure what you are looking for). Check the latest entries of this thread for data you can use to find those events.

http://garycon.com/community/index.php?threads/some-gary-con-viii-stats.1373/

13. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

For those of you who have asked (and, obviously, for everyone else), I spent some time away from customer service issues last night and added a checkbox at the top of the Event Listing search. Labelled "Only Events that Have Tickets?", I think it will serve your needs.

14. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

Things that I want to add to the banner on the Event list, time permitting:
    • Compact View: View events like a table, with more events appearing per web page.
    • Filter by VIP: Only VIP events would be listed.
    • Sort by Cost
    • Remaining tickets display and Add to Cart button on main listing.
    All of those are in my personal queue.

Poindexter, DSG and Handy Haversack like this.