high level schedule

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scot bailey, Aug 11, 2016.

1. scot bailey

scot bailey Level 0 Character

What are the hours of operation? I am trying to figure out if i should book a hotel starting on March 22 or 23 and if i am departing March 26 or 27. So i am not asking for any details on events--i just want to know when on the 23rd this starts and when on the 26th it ends.

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Official gaming starts 8am Thursday and the last official event on Sunday ends maybe 6ish.

However, there are people that arrive early and there is pickup gaming to be found Wednesday night, if you want it.
    Sunday is the lightest day and most people clear out by 2 or so.

3. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

mordrin has it right.

4. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

I was really surprised last year how much gaming is happening on Sunday. The first 5 were almost ghost towns on Sunday, Last year, almost everything was still going full speed until about noon. and then things started to dwindle down.

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

That's 'cause cool people like me don't leave until Monday and now people are starting to figure that out. :p

6. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Shall I post pictures of GaryCon II (or III maybe?) where my kids and I were playing warship battles well into Sunday afternoon?

Nah...probably not cool enough...

mark likes this.
  7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

The Sunday Civilization game goes quite late.

8. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

"I will not be the Minoans." - Connor Skach

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I have wanted them the past three years and keep getting stuck in Asia.

jim skach likes this.
  10. scottmaruna

scottmaruna Level 0 Character

IX will be my first Gary Con. Have done and run games at lots of other local cons and Gen Con way back in the Wisconsin days. Looking forward to this...some questions then, if people will indulge me:
    1) Do they really allow double scheduling (scheduling oneself for two events in the same slot)
    2) Is it a bad idea to run a game on Sunday (for the first time, let's say)?
    3) Are games run in pre-set slots (e.g. all games must run 4 hours, etc) or is there flexibility to the game length and time starting?
    Thanks!

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

From the Mind of Johnson:

1) It has occurred in the past.
    2) No, but expect no-shows.
    3) It has differed in the past, but event length is typically flexibobble.

Expect more official views eventually.

Welcome to GaryCon!

12. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

1) Did last year, but largely because of system issues. Feedback on double scheduling was fairly negative. This year's registration has been outsourced to a 3rd party system. Unknown how it works for sure in that regard.
    2) As noted, it's a rough day for no-shows. If your game has lots of setup/teardown time, I'd aim elsewhere. Games which run well with a wide range of number of players are best, games which require a full boat to play well are less desirable.
    3) Yeah, any start time and length in hourly increments.

13. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

14. scottmaruna

scottmaruna Level 0 Character

Glad to hear that :)