DM Preparations for GaryCon!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chgowiz, Jan 18, 2017.

1. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

What are you all doing to prepare to DM your games at GaryCon?

That date on the calendar is getting closer, and my lead pile that says "For games at GaryCon" is getting smaller! I'm busy painting up miniatures and assembling Hirst Arts projects for my wargames at GC this year! I thought I'd share a couple of WIP with you all. These are all for games based out my campaign world that I run.

A set of ruins... wonder what's going to be lurking in there?
    [​IMG]

The beginnings of the Gates to the city of Shallam.
    [​IMG]

Troops being prepared for battle
    [​IMG]

Axemen ready to do battle
    [​IMG]

An Orc General, looking for humans
    [​IMG]

Did someone say battering rams and catapults?
    [​IMG]

I've got about a dozen humans left to paint, and the walls to finish, flags to mount, trees to build, a building to paint... can't wait to unleash all this!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Tell me about it. Since I'm running the Circus Maximus Finals I need 8 more teams. I ordered them last week or so. They should be here any day now. Then I need to paint and mount them.

I still have plenty of time, right? ;-)

Poindexter likes this.
  3. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

8 weeks or so... that's a team a week. :)

4. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I've been painting almost every day for like 3 months now and I still have probably a month of work left. Some build & play testing pics...

Eaters of the Dead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aliens:

[​IMG]

Conan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boss Monster:

[​IMG]

mark, jonsnod, Navar and 4 others like this.
  5. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

The DGS Battletech Tournament prizes have arrived from Iron Wind Metals, the mechs have been chosen for the teams, and I'm getting the battle maps prepared tomorrow :)

dndgeek likes this.
  6. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Wait... wait... I have to prepare for the games I'm running? WTF?

Navar and red wizard like this.
  7. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

Gotta finish my pregens and find portraits for them. And decide on a mutation table.

8. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Only thing left to do is create content for my events (adventure ideas, maps, keys, etc and pregens). Hoping I have some time on the flight. ;)

Navar, Ancalagon and Poindexter like this.
  9. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I did manage to get a seat at your Friday Eaters of the Dead game. Looking forward to it!

mark likes this.
  10. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

No miniatures!?! ;)

chainsaw and Poindexter like this.
  11. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

Pretty cool! Iron Wind has a lot going on at GaryCon between Chaos Wars games and Battletech minis!

red wizard likes this.
  12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Awesome! It's always a fun time.

Navar likes this.
  13. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Finished with first cut of pre-gen characters and layout of miscellaneous thingies in the adventure I am helping another run. Should finish them up this coming weekend.

Will be brushing up on the rules for the other four games I am running.

14. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

The City Gates/Towers are coming together!
    [​IMG]

More troops
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

grodog, mark, dndgeek and 1 other person like this.
  15. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Tokens for drawing team order for Circus Maximus.

I really need to finish painting the miniatures and getting them on their mounts.

team_order_tokens-smaller-800px.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  16. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

My earlier joking aside, I actually finished ALL my prep last week (apart from maybe adding some more flavor text to the Ghostbusters adventure). This is the earliest I've been finished... ever.

It helped that one of my regular players was out sick the last two game sessions, so I used that time to prep and test my adventures. She felt really guilty about missing two games in a row, but the break was tremendously helpful to me.

Poindexter likes this.
  17. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Made a new set of boards for my "normal" Circus Maximus events. These should be about half the weight or less than the ones I made last year. Made them a little bigger, too. All the boards together are over 9 feet long.

Looking forward to another round of races and running the finals for the first time.

all-boards.png

dndgeek, JediSoth and Poindexter like this.
  18. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

It may be a little late to incorporate, but it's interesting to note that D&D Beyond just went open beta.

This will be a fantastic resource for any D&D 5E Dungeon Master, as you can quickly bring up spell descriptions and monster stat blocks on your mobile device or laptop. An excellent way to reduce interruptions to your narrative.

dndgeek likes this.
  19. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Finished prepping my games. Ready to drink some Spotted Cow, roll some dice and have a good time. :cool:

Poindexter likes this.
  20. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

I think I've done all this in the wrong order.

dndgeek and chainsaw like this.