Night of the Walking Wet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tavis, Nov 15, 2011.

1. tavis

tavis Footpad

I am trying to solve two problems with this year's return to Krakesborough Swamp. Both are good problems to have!

1) I want to keep this one-session-a-year campaign running right up until the Roleplaying Retirement Home. I also want to demo the Adventurer Conqueror King system. There isn't enough time in the day to do both of these separately, even if said day lasts until 4 the next morning.

2) I want to share the goodness of the Walking Wet but our band of 13 is already unwieldy in size.

On #1, the fact that we have high-level characters makes Walking Wet a great showcase for the ACKS rules. I don't think we need to change much of anything about the way we resolve things at the table, but I would love to use ACKS to answer questions like "how big are the strongholds these guys are leaving behind" and "if you wanted to hire an army of mercenaries to clean out the ghoul town, how much would it cost and how would we dice it out?"

If people are interested in this, I can hook you up with the relevant sections of the ACKS system and you can come to the table with a fully fleshed-out and baronied-up version of your brave adventurer. If not, the ACKS underpinnings will stay behind my side of the screen; just viewing things through this lens has given me new insights into the scenario!

For #2, I would love to open up our Saturday night tradition to new players by opening up the campaign to additional DMs. The adventure we're playing is part of a sandbox that includes all the other early Dungeoneer locations. I could maintain the central mysteries of Castle Krake but still share the details on these other dungeons with folks who wanted to referee some of these other expeditions.

My email is [email protected] if you want to request files and such.

2. welleran

welleran Footpad

Tavis, I'm happy to try ACKS for year 3 of The Walking Wet -- it was the first time I'd ever played OD&D, so if I can handle that, I can handle ACKS!

3. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

You're the GM Tavis ol' buddy! Whatever you want to try... If we don't like it we can always go to bed at 3:30 AM ;-P

On the dice I think you should buy like 50,000 dice so you can still use your system in large scale encounters. Donal, Melf, Dale - Tavis is going to need 20 or so tables to roll and stack his dice on Saturday night...

4. mark

mark Spellbinder

Do as you like but if you're running ACK the rest of the weekend, you might enjoy the break for one slot.

5. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

What if we already have the ACKS rules? :D

Whatever you need to do to make it easier and more enjoyable for you. If you want to use ACKS, use it. If you want to have multiple GM's, I'm I and others would be happy to help out.

It does remind me that I need to dig out my GaryCon folder and find that character...

6. tavis

tavis Footpad

Your faith in me is gratifying, guys!

Yes, do bust out your PCs, maybe we could scan 'em and post 'em online. (I have Chronopsis, and used him as an NPC in my home campaign. His death there can become part of his backstory if you like, "what I did on my summer vacation," or that could have been an imposter who just happened to have the same stats.)

No, I probably won't be running other ACKS events but maybe I will find the time.

I will bring ACKS stuff for those who don't have it, or you could preorder at http://www.autarch.co/ which is awesome because it helps cover the costs of having 'em ready to buy at Gary Con if you'd rather do that!

7. howandwhy99

howandwhy99 Level 0 Character

We're still on for a Saturday red eye session, right?
    I'm trying to figure out what days to register and run games.
    I think we start at 8pm IIRC, but I wouldn't mind 6. I could be misremembering.
    And any and all ACKs action you wish is OK by me.

8. mark

mark Spellbinder

8pm might be better to allow for Sat night dinner plans.

9. mark

mark Spellbinder

Hiya Tavis!

So have we nailed down a time for our Saturday revelries and will we be treated to an ACK version of Walking Wet this year? Plus, this is separate from the official schedule, right? (Just sorting out my own schedule.)

10. tellion

tellion Footpad

Tavis, I didn't see any sessions being run by you in the event catalog. Please tell me you just didn't get them submitted on time and that you will still be attending this year. I'm already bummed that Allan cannot make it, and I'm so looking forward to year 3 of the Walking Wet regardless of system employed. The company and the entertainment are just too good to pass up. Hopefully it will remain a Saturday night (Sunday morning) tradition.

cheers

11. tavis

tavis Footpad

I submitted events this morning, hopefully they will be available for pre-registration but if not y'all are of course welcome if you have faithfully kept your Saturday night free to play (and your Sunday morning free to recuperate).

The good news is that my Autarch collaborators and gaming buddies Alex Macris and Greg Tito are joining me in running the event this year, and will lead groups to parts of Jaquays' sandbox which haven't been explored in past years. So if you have friends who've been wanting to play but have been dissuaded by the fact that there are 14 of us already, now we will have three Judges available to take on more players. Note that this will not actually affect how crowded each table is or the DM/player ratio - strangely, there will always be 14 people in each grouping - it's just that there will be two more groupings. (Unless of course you look at them all at once, in which case it will be 14 people divided among three big tables.)

If you're reading this thread but haven't played in past years and/or followed the in-jokes, ignore that paragraph - the point is we are open to new players. You can bring in a character from one of the ACKS Borderlands events, or another OD&D character you might have lying around, or make one on Sat. night.

Here are the details:

Event Title: Night of the Walking Wet
    DM Name: Tavis Allison
    Day: Saturday
    Start Time: 8:00pm
    Duration: 6 hours
    Experience: Advanced
    Maximum Players: 14
    Description: The ongoing exploration of Paul Jaquays' classic enters its third year! Strange things are afoot; as if by magic, ruined Castle Krake has been restored to its former glory. These changes have little to do with the switch from OD&D to ACKS, and much to do with the fact that another party has been meddling in this sandbox. Pregens will be provided, or you can use your character from previous sessions or this year's Borderlands series. Adventurer characters will explore the region's many lairs and tombs; Conquerors will pursue power amidst shifting alliances; Kings will face the problems of empire; and the returning PCs will scheme to take back what is rightfully theirs.

12. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I have overextended myself with GMing obligations this year, which means I won't be able to make it. With the Cleric returning to the temple that leaves the party with only 14 members. The party could certainly use a Cleric, the addition of which would return it to the heroic adventuring number of 14 members.

Perhaps the needs of the temple are not so involved or urgent as originally thought though... (maybe I will see if anyone I know wants to take over for me this year. Most of the people I know are GMing most of the con, so if I can't take care of it amongst people already known then perhaps some quasi-random stranger would want to take over my character for this year [I could email it]). I'll get around to cleaning it up and emailing it to you Tavis just in case it is of use to you.

Tavis did you submit as 0 slots available, with returning players getting in "free" or are folks going to need to spend GPs and/or take a chance this year?

13. tavis

tavis Footpad

I submitted it as 14 slots available, of course!

I'd have to check how Alex and Greg sent theirs up, but anyone who has played in past years will get in to my table "free"; conceivably this means that some non-returning-player people who signed up for my event (should it make pre-reg) will instead wind up playing with Alex or Greg as DMs instead so that I can handle the 14 of you. Also since Alex at least got his events in sooner, this may appear for pre-reg with him as DM only; if so, returning players are encouraged not to take up slots in his pre-reg and just show up to play with me as usual.

14. mlpeel

mlpeel Level 0 Character

Fiendish! Like a malignant sore, Krakesborough Swamp grows and spreads on the GaryCon Saturday night landscape. Evidently, Tavis, you're one of the "insane geniuses" EGG was referring to in the opening pages of "Men & Magic"!

15. tellion

tellion Footpad

Tavis, I can't remember if you collected the character sheets from last year or not. Do you recall? Just wanted to check before I start digging into my archives (i.e. starting tossing my office) for my GC3 memorabilia.

16. mark

mark Spellbinder

I have my character sheet for Tiptoe Tagends, Master Burglar. Sadly I wish I had double checked this thread at the last before registering for events. In the past, NotWW had been off the books so it never crossed my mine to save GC pts for it. I kept the time open but have no points to join. Hopefully the fourteenth seat will be open when I get to Lake Geneva. Of course we could pack thousands of folks around that table and it would still appear as fourteen.

17. tavis

tavis Footpad

I know I have Chronopsis but for the most part I think folks kept their characters.

Yes, as long as you have the slot free you are good! :mrgreen:

18. mark

mark Spellbinder

I wouldn't dream of missing the chance to play in your game with that great group of gamers! Thanks! :)

19. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

My recollection is that you collected the characters, except from those (such as myself) that said they would email them to you. Of course, I never did clean up and email mine...

After some arm-twisting I may have someone run my character until I'm done GMing and then take over and test my endurance.

20. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

So who took everyone's email addresses? You gonna send a group email, so we can start planning for next time?