Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition (1989)

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Thread to discuss...
    ---------------
    This is my old mainstay game. This is what I used to play the most, and have the greatest fondness for. I haven't RPGed much in the last 10-15 years, so I'm real rusty on the rules, made worse by playing 3.5 for the last few years.

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I will admit to playing a little 2e while I was in the Army. Its what alot of the guys were playing and it was close to 1E- so I didn't mind too much. But I think I enjoy 1E the most. I played 3E a fair amount, but I felt hemmed in by rules too often. I ended up just running it as I saw fit, much to the shagrin of the rules lawyers at the table :twisted:

3. rossik

rossik Footpad

i know most people frown upon 2ed, but it was he system i've played for years, and it opened doors for me.

here in brazil, we had the classic d&d (91 black box) and then 2ed, i believe even before firts quest.

SO, you can see we dont had a lot of choices....sure, we had the 3 core books,forgotten realms, domains of dread, complete fighters handbook, mystara (the one with cd) and a few others.... but if you see the vast list of books, you know that there was a lot that we dont had.

now, its just 3.x products. :x

Saying that, one can understand that after a few d&d adventures (which had no suplements here), we moved to 2ed, and we still play this system.

In my defense, i have bought some stuff at nobleknight, like 1ed players, d&d red box, RC and other cool books! :lol:

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I actually didn't play 2nd Edition until the mid-1990s. In fact, I had just gotten most of the 2nd Edition books that I wanted when the announcement of Third Edition came out. I must say that I was pretty ticked off 'cause I'd just got back into gaming fairly good and a new edition was ticking me off. (Because, for me, 2nd Ed. was a still a new edition.)

There were many things I've liked about each edition but there is always that nostalgic feel about the game where you first picked up the dice and had fun. I think, in some way, many of us are still trying to find that feeling.....and it's ever elusive. :geek:

5. Melf

You hit the nail on the geekpreacher! There was something magical about playing as a 12-15 year old with your buddies. Pulling all nighters fueled by mountain dew and chips. Those were some of the most fun- if not best technically executed- gaming sessions I ever had.

6. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Thanks! I guess that's one of the reasons I try and find time with my gaming buddies (who are all "kids" to me....not a one over 24) to sit down, grab pizza and soda and sling dice. It's when we can sit down and let a bit of that silly kid out of the bag that it gets really fun.

The interesting thing is that older gamers seem to understand this better than the kids. I guess that's 'cause we're so far away from that childhood experience that it's something we try and pull back in.

It's also one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting some of the old school modules together and running these "yung uns" through them.

I also wish I'd played more D&D when I was a kid. I didn't get to go over to the friends houses a lot and play so those games were rare for me. Many of my favorite memories were running D&D games during recess and then slipping into the library and trying to run them during breaks. It's hilarious how I'd try and run some guys through something for about 30 minutes and then we'd try and pick it up at 15 minute intervals in various classes. Drove the teachers nuts. :lol:

7. rossik

rossik Footpad

is tehre a reason why montain dew seems to be the "RPGer" drink?

theres no such soda in brazil, so we had mostly coca cola and guarana :D

8. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I don't know if it's really true that Mountain Dew is more popular with gamers or not, but it gets referenced because back when we were young and ADD 1st Ed was current, Mountain Dew had the highest caffeine levels amongst sodas (and the highest or close to it in sugar, too).

(Since then, specialty drinks with excessive sugar and/or caffeine have 'surpassed' it, although they aren't as commonly available.)

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I was never much of a fan of 2E, but it does bear the greatest resemblance to 1E, which I prefer over all the rules. Some of 2E has crept into my game, though my biggest complaint was the way teh game became more player-centric, giving up too much to the player and lessening the power and control of the DM. Character classes became more restrictive due to the overcompensation with sub-classes and specialization and more munchkin with easy level advancement. Bah.

I don't deny that there were some good products put out during the 2E run, mostly when there was that great, brief stretch of books done right before the d20 edition (the so-called 2E "revised" books) but I much prefer classic, First Edition AD&D.

10. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Yeah, Mountain Dew was the drink of choice when you start to lag a bit at 2-3am in the morning! Nothing like a sugar and caffeine shot to get you goin'!!

11. gt1

gt1 Level 0 Character

Anybody remember Jolt Cola... this was before all the "new-fangled" energy drinks! I was a 1E hold-out when 2E started because I still wanted assassins and monks, and I still called "demons, devils and daemons" by those names! :D

12. LumpyCheeseman

LumpyCheeseman Level 0 Character

I drank Jolt when I was in middle school. It was my wake-up on the way to school drink. It and surge. Then they both left shelves, and in recent years Jolt can be found in cans with twist off tops, all in the shape of a battery, and comes in several flavors, and Surge came back, we just know it now as Vault. Coca-Cola wasn't about to let it go away completely..I know d*** well that Vault is Surge, tastes the same.

13. Melf

Jolt was the best for late night gaming sessions. I drank that as a Jr High school kid with my gaming buddies. We usually degenerated into us running around the house battling each other with pillows (compacted down to make decent flail-like weapons). My Dad was a good sport and would only chew us out if somebody decided to strike the gong in the foyer or start shouting. And it was often 2 or 3 in the morning. I don't think I would be as understanding myself!

14. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

I've never played it, but would certainly give it a try. :D

15. Donal

Donal Administrator

Shoot, what are you talking about? If/when your kids are old enough to do this, you'll be running around like a maniac with them all night!

16. Melf

Yeah prolly true. I am still a big kid :mrgreen:

17. clangador

clangador Footpad

I've never really like 2e. It seemed like a watered-down version of 1e to me. In fact, it's the version of the game that got me out of D&D for 10 years. I didn't return until 3e came out.

18. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

We almost always played a hybrid 1e/2e game as a kid (once 2e came out that is...). I liked the addition of NW Proficiencies. I also really liked the drilling down on the Cleric class. I liked that they were given spheres of spells. It allowed for some customization without throwing out the mechanics of the class. Same goes for Magic Users. But, I NEVER allowed any splat book garbage in my game.