Chainmail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScottyG, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ScottyG

ScottyG Chevalier

Were there any Chainmail games at the last GaryCon?
    Is there space to accommodate a decent sized game?

2. francisca

francisca Troubadour

No, and, maybe, but would take some arranging, I think. Kask and Mentzer each had big expanses of table space for their D&D games and Circus Maximus.

I think it would come down to how many people they expect, and where it is before you could make plans. Paul Stormberg used to run big Chainmail events at LGGC, but there was much more room there than at the Legion Hall.

3. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

My impression has been that II will probably not be at the Legion Hall again, due to anticipated growth.

Luke is investigating other locations, IIRC.

I'm sure his ideal would be plenty big - whether it can be found...we'll see.

4. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

There was some pictures online of Gary at wargaming events from the 60's here:

John Bobek's Photos

Those places look huge.

5. falconer

falconer Level 0 Character

People were smaller back then.

6. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Chainmail sounds great. I would love to see some snadtable wargaming at Gary Con II. I just have to find a decent place to hold the event. I am working on it and I will post up info as soon as I lock it down!

Luke

7. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

LOL

I'm definitely down for some Chainmail.

8. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

I've been a Chainmail fan for a long time, though opportunities to play are limited since most of my gaming buds are RPGers, not miniatures wargamers.

Has anyone here developed any house rules for Chainmail or have a site with rules mods, AARs, that sort of thing?

I've started work on a freeware update of the original Chainmail rules for folks who either can't get the original rules, or have problems interesting their local crew due to the age of the rules. Also plan to add some extra stuff like playing in the Ancients period and New World (ie. Conquistadors vs Aztecs, etc.), historical scenarios (Agincourt and the like) and some other bits.

Would be great to get some feedback from other folks as I make progress with it when I get back from deployment in a month or so.

Andy

9. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I've played Chainmail in my head, as I haven't found anyone who seems like they would play Chainmail. Finarvyn might, but I get the impression he's one busy guy, especially since I can't talk him into coming out and playing OD&D.

I'd really like to watch/play in a Chainmail game, but I'd be a total newbie.

10. francisca

francisca Troubadour

If you get the chance, play it. My first time was Me, Grodog, and Martin vs. Kask, Bobek, and Kuntz. I survived. How much tougher could it be than that?

11. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Holy smokes!

What was the scenario? Care to share an after action report?

Andy

12. francisca

francisca Troubadour

The scenario was the sacking of the moathouse from T-1, after the ToEE had been defeated. I don't have a turn by turn action report, sorry.

13. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy Andy,

Here is a link to links relating the battle report from the first time I ran the scenario:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12&p=1368#p1368

Futures Bright,

Paul

14. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

I watched the whole thing and I should of played but I was waiting for perhaps another "old dude" to pullup (even Gary) but alas...

However, it was very interesting to watch strictly CHAINMAIL though, I've been playing with CHAINMAIL alternation with AD&D for a long time.

15. kevin cabai

kevin cabai Level 0 Character

I submitted a 25mm game, we call Orc's Drift. Basically we use Gary's first edition Chainmail, albeit modified.

Fresh from the victory at Isengardwanda an Impi of Uruk Hai attempt to storm a small detachment of the 24th (complete with Martini-Henrys) at a depot station. Game can be 3-4 hours for up to 12 players. No experience necessary.

I did this at Gaming Hoopla earlier in the month.

16. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Sounds like a blast! I'll definitely sign up for that game. Of course, that means if I run a Star Frontier game I'll have to schedule around Chainmail <g>

Out of curiosity, what minis do you use for this one? I remember the Flintloque line had some good Napoleonic fantasy minis (orcs and elves, etc.).

Andy

17. kevin cabai

kevin cabai Level 0 Character

The Orc's will be the new GW line and the Brits will be a mix that I have collected over the years. Their very well detailed I think they are Blacktree.

18. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I know I snapped a picture or two of your table, now if I can just find them...........!

19. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Good stuff.. Out of curiosity, how large are the armies (orcs of course outnumbering the Brits)? DO you break either side into separate commands (such as different players commanding each "horn" of the impi)?

I've had a huge hankering to play Chainmail but none of the guys in eitherof my RPG groups is a big minis wargamer, so I've been SOL. Would love to hear more about how your game at Gaming Hoopla turned out..

Andy

20. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Here's that picture of your game.
    [​IMG]