Collector's Corner

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Apr 1, 2010.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I thought this would be a good area to bring up the topic of collecting. I know we've got a number of old school gamers on the boards and I was wondering if some of you were collectors like myself. Now, I don't consider myself a Mint-in-Box type of collector but there are a number of things I've wanted to pick up over the years but never really had the cash to pursue.

The reason I mention this is because, as a kid growing up in the 80s, there were a number of game systems advertised in Dragon Magazine that always seemed interesting but as a teen I just didn't have the disposable money. Now, that I'm an adult I'd like to pick up many of those games I didn't get around to buying "back in the day."

So, with this in mind, I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to any "goodies" you might have found or any old games that you might recommend. Some games that I'm interested in but have never purchased are Jorune, Villains & Vigilantes and Tekumel. If anyone has experience with these games and thinks they're something a casual collector like myself would enjoy reading please let me know.

As to a game I recently came across but know absolutely nothing about, I was wondering if any of you were familiar with Cyborg Commando. I picked up a copy at my FLGS this evening for about $10 and it's in fairly decent condition even though that were trying to be "clever" and taped the box shut. If anyone has ever played it or knows about the game, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

GP

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

We have been starting to expand our "collection" of ODD, DD, ADD, ADD2, Cyberpunk 2020 & Serenity stuff. I too am not a "mint" collector, as I like to use things AND I know how reckless I can be, both making it wise to not have pristine books.

3. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Haha, GP! Good luck playing it. I have a copy and found that one of the modules included errata that help the rules make more sense, but that doesn't save the game from being woefully heavy on the bookkeeping.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I ran demoes of Cyborg Commando at Gen Con in the late 80's I think. But that was the last time I played. Maybe Frank can shed some light on that game system. I don't even have a copy :eek:

5. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

I got my copy at an outlet store for $1. lol The modules cost me about $6 apiece.

6. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Unfortunately I can't help you on those, gp: I've only picked up Jorune and V&V in the last few years myself (although Jeff Dee's ads in Dragon were always a highlight for me, and really made the game stick in my mind; I'm just not much of a super heroes gamer). Tekumel's also a relatively-recent addition too, since Tadashi Ehara turned me on to it while I was still living in the Bay Area.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

7. Donal

Donal Administrator

I played Villains and Vigilantes quite a bit in my younger years. Enough younger than I don't remember the system very well, but I did play it a bit, so it must have been decent.

I experimented with almost all of the old-school superhero games, looking for the best one:
    Villains and Vigilantes
    DC Heroes (and it's simplified form, Batman)
    Champions
    Heroes Unlimited
    Marvel Superheroes

I always felt DC Heroes had the best blend of playability combined with true to the comics action and power gaps.

8. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I picked up a copy of the 40th Anniversary edition of Nuclear War, number 7/1000, still in the shrink, today. :)

9. osarious

osarious Chevalier

I had my First Print Greyhawk supplement (signed by Gary and Dave Arneson) at Garycon II. I brought it to use during Tim Kask's "Return to the Frozen North". Turns out I really didn't need it. But I did also get Rob Kuntz to sign it. :D

10. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

The closest thing to a collectible that I have is the Castle Zagyg: Upper Works boxed set of recent fame. I managed to secure Jeff T's signature on the box so I'm feeling good! ;-)

11. spades1013

spades1013 Level 0 Character

I guess you could say that I'm a collector. I sold off most of my super rare items a few years ago since they were too valuable to actually use and I needed the money at the time.

These pics are from a year or so ago and I've since filled any empty spaces and relocated anything not RPG related. This also doesn't include my Dwarven Forge sets (which are under the bed) or my Crystal Caste Battle Top( http://crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... ry_Code=BT ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

That's an impressive display you have there. I have a fair amount of stuff myself, though I have to admit there's a lot of fluff in mine. By fluff I mean, pretty much every manual produced for 3.5 edition. I'm saving it for my wood stove one day when we run out of firewood. ;-)

13. clangador

clangador Footpad

Good call.

14. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

I created a post on the dead games society forum about V&V.

http://dgsforum.freeforums.org/tell-sel ... -t447.html

Long story short I had the book but didn't even realize it.

I recently starting wanting to complete my collection of basic D&D books. I need the immortals book and I think a few others. I just took them out of the box they were in and put them in plastic sheets. I don't plan to use them after I get them signed by Frank. I will just use Labyrinth Lord rather then damaging my books anymore.

I also have other non gaming collectibles. I have EVERY He Man action figure from the 80's. Some of them are broken and beat up but I do have them. Even the dinosaurs. Yes dinosaurs, google it. I also have all of the toy line of the Robots in Disguise transformers line from early 2000s. Those toys are all Mint in box and I have many multiples.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1205760662 ... 602_309572

I doubt that link will work but it is an Optimus Prime from that collection. They run anywhere from $80-$140. I think I have four.

15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Nice hookah.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

My Iraqi friends got a really kickass hookah for me. Its about 2.5 feet high with a single hose- but it is easily portable. It breaks down into an ACU pattern shoulder sack for tactical movements. Its pretty cool. I'll have to bring it to Gary Con - but I guess you can't game and smoke hookah (tobacco only for me of course!).