D&D and Dark Sun Comics

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Author: Totan [ Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 pm ]
    Post subject: Re: Show of hands: 1e PHB Idol cover.....

Slightly off topic, but I liked how the new D&D comic book used that idol; they were stealing the second eye :)

Author: rossik [ Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:20 pm ]

what comic book?
    could you tell me the number?

Author: Totan [ Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:08 am ]

It was the free Dungeons & Dragons / Dark Sun #0 that was in the Gencon bags. You can also buy it. There are three covers (A, B, and Con Exclusive). Dungeons & Dragons (IDW Publishing / WOC) is supposed to release in November (pre-order September) and Dark Sun is supposed to release January 2011 (pre-order Nov).

Author: Sir Jon [ Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:04 pm ]

And it's well written by a guy who needs to do more published work: John Rogers. He's very, very good. I only picked the comic up since he's writing the ongoing D&D title (and it was el-cheapo) and was not disappointed. Ignoring the tiefling character and the fact that halflings have somehow become sexy, small elves, it was pretty interesting. Good dialogue, too. I may give the series a whirl when it comes out, even if it's set in the "4th edition" frame of game settings.

Alas, the last time I had a giant statue with gems for eyes was so long ago in my formative gaming years I don't remember details. I believe the statue came alive with the theft of the gems, though.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

So as far as I know there ended up being 7 variants of the D&D 0 cover (although some were in name, not art only - for instance the same art being used for several Con Exclusives).

D&D is on #4 or 5 and Dark Sun is on #2 or 3. There are usually 3-4 variants of each one.