Do I need to have experience with the rules to sign up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chuck, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Chuck

Chuck Level 0 Character

I have checked out some of the past games and some of the events being run this year and cannot tell if there is an "experience level" for event registration. I have played a lot of RPGs, but I am hoping to check out some other ones this year. I don't want to take up a seat at an event if a game requires more experience than I have.

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I have a 2011 catalog that uses Basic/Expert/Advanced for experience levels expected. I think that system must have been in use this year, too.

Very few events expect strong system knowledge, though - usually just a few D&D events. Anything less common is almost always rules taught.

If you pay attention to what the event says when the full catalog is ready, you'll be fine.

3. Chuck

Chuck Level 0 Character

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to see in the event catalog.

4. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

No matter what I run, I label it "Beginner" in the catalog - rules always taught as we go where needed.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

Most games, like has been said, are taught as you go. We hope that players will feel comfortable to try other games. Step out of the comfort zone and try some new/old game.

It is always fun learning new systems, and making new friends.

6. grodog

grodog Troubadour

I label my Greyhawk Castle events as "Expert" knowledge, but have had several folks who had never played D&D before play in them last year, and that was easy to accommodate. I do submit all of my Aliens minis events as "Beginning" since most folks have never played Leading Edge's system before.

7. smokin

smokin Chevalier

My game "Under the Chaos Towers of Blood" is listed as beginner, but requires extensive reading occasionally (descriptions of cool Spells and Stuff you find).
    If children attend, and they will enjoy it, they may/will need a parent/guardian to read for them.