Exclusive Product for GC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaskoid, Feb 4, 2011.

1. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

As a means of raising money to support GaryCon, I am having printed (actually, a third party offered to put up the cash) 75 digest-sized (32 B&W pages, and #100 cardstock color cover) combined copies of the two adventures that I wrote for GC's I and II. They are back-to-back and "upside-down"; like some of the old pulp paperbacks, one is oriented the other direction, so no matter how you pick it up, a "cover" is facing you. They will be numbered and signed, priced at $20 and only available to attendees. (Unless afterwards there are leftovers, which I kind of doubt.) After printing costs, GC and I are splitting the proceeds.

The adventures were titled "The Tower of the Mad Wizard" and "Return to the Frozen North" (the latter is scheduled to be played at TotalCon at the end of this month).

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Tim,

I think this is a great idea! I'm looking forward to grabbing one as soon as I can.

Now, do I have the price right? $20 for the game but don't we also have to buy you a cold one as well? ;)

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Hope all is going well.

Derek

3. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Very nice. Have you done this before at prior GC? Anywhere we can get other modules too? Is EE going to be a 'modules' company? Regardless, count me in.

4. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Woot yeah. Great idea, Tim. I'll be buyin' one for sure. Many thanks!! :cool:

5. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Last year at NorTex I did a reprint of an adventure that I wrote for a bunch of the Acaeum members and ran at GenCon 2009 called High in the Hellgate Mountains; I also did another, also digest-sized, that I wrote for the first NorTex called Temple of the Weaver Queen. They are gone.

This is the first time I have done one for GC. These are also numbered and signed, and it is a "twofer". I had to do something a little extra in memory of my old friend and mentor...

What I am doing for EE, at least the first couple, are what I am calling GM Tool Kits. They will all be set in the same biome (1st is very sandy...) and consist of at least a dozen ruins, fights, outdoor adventures, lairs, and etc. They can be strung together in an almost infinite variety of sequences, limited only by the GM's imagination. They will have new spells, new monsters, lots of cultural stuff for the settings and lot and lots of GM Notes and hints and suggestions for further exploring and adventuring. Several can be pulled out and played as one-offs. There will be maps, handouts, art, charts and such; none of my stuff, by the time it sees the public, will be system specific. We will be using characteristics, stats and terms that will be easily fitted into any existing system. We may even include pull-outs for various systems.

After all, it is all about the story and the fun; the system is tertiary, at most.

As I have a fondness for visual learning aids, and a really good flowchart program, I will be including lots of flowchartd showing how stuff could be linked together.

6. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

This sounds awesome. I hope to get one.

7. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

There will be 50 available on Friday morning; the other 25 on Sat. morning. I hope that gives more people a chance. However, there is no limit on copies per purchase.

8. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

*crosses fingers* :D

9. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Thanks for the heads-up, Tim. Where will you be selling these---at at vendor table, or at your games tables, etc.?

10. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

While it certainly won't have the cachet of previous years, the #1 copy goes to the auction. I think that we will make the others available at the front desk, but don't hold me to that yet. I have to clear that with Dale, or Luke or Chris. As soon as we have a plan, I'll let you know. If it is too much of a distraction for the front desk, then I'll figure something else out.

11. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Con shirts weren't sold at the front desk. They were available in the open gaming room. You could always set up there for Friday at minimum.

12. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I believe that we will sell t-shirts in the vendor area- and there is no reason not to have the special GC III Kask modules there as well. If we are short personnel we can double task the front door crew to hand out badges, event tickets, swag bags, sell t-shirts and modules. This may slow down the initial entry on Friday and Saturday morning though.

13. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

However you want to handle it, Luscious. You da man! Did not mean to roil the pond....

P.S. You do get a Sponsor's Exemption for a free transfer to the Circvs Finals, Luke. We will be racing on a new, longer track for the finals. Ken (Turbo) also has a free ride as past Champion, and Ken Haylock has a slot as winner of the Inaugural; all others must be earned. The pre-lims will be using the new maps, but not the minis. I have one-inch mounted counters for them.

14. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

There better be one for me! :twisted:

Anyone with 5-10 copies will be drawn & quartered! :lol:

15. smokin

smokin Chevalier

Let's see.....<75 copies.....you're allowing multiples.....so....50 maybe .....how many attendees are expected?.....not sure i follow the logic, unless you are trying to MAKE it a game just getting one.
    Please say it isn't going to be like SEARS on The Day after Thanksgiving Sale. The spirit of friendly gamesmanship (is that a word?) could rest with you here. As much as I would like to have one, I'd rather see you draw/rolloff/something them out to hopefuls than some shoving match. Then again, it IS hockey country yes?

16. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

As someone who played in "The Tower of the Mad Wizard," I know I'd like a copy. Just one. I just hope someone doesn't go nuts trying to buy half the stack (like certain auction attendees who've purchased Tim's stuff before...).

17. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

Me too! :D

18. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Normally, I'd try and get more than one copy but I think most GaryCon attendees would try and be good about making sure as many people as possible get a copy. I'd hope that no one would try and hoard them.

19. NTRPGCon

NTRPGCon Level 0 Character

Ok

Just a bit of info about this module printing.

I am the "3rd party" assisting with this printing.

We printed digest size copies of Tim's modules written for the 2009 North Texas RPG Con and sold them at the 2010 Con, we only printed 75 and sold some at the Con and then some online at http://RPGMarketplace.com after the con. We actually have about 5 of each left for sale on that site.

We also printed 50 copies of Dennis Sustare's module he wrote/ran at the 2010 Con (all sold) and we reprinted 100 copies of Palace of the Vampire Queen (all sold) as well.

So I offered to print copies of the Gary Con modules Tim wrote to help Gary Con raise some $$$... I know it can get expensive running a Con and I wanted to help somehow.

Just a suggestion on selling the modules to make sure everyone gets a copy.

We limited the sale of copies to 1/ea per attendee, this was tracked last year by checking off names on a list, but this year we are going to put "tickets" in the check in packets. If you decide to purchase a copy of a module, you will pay for it and give up your ticket. Nothing says you can't convince someone to sell/give you their ticket if they are not interested. But one copy per ticket while supplies last.

In any case, this should keep everyone "even" on getting a copy to some extent, then after the Con we will be selling any left over (though in your case, you might offer the "extras" up Sunday or something) ... I can't see them not all selling since there are only 75 and your attendance here at GaryCon is over double (or triple) our Con.

And while I am on the subject, we are printing new digest size modules at our Con this year as follows:

1.) On to the Devil's Skillet - OD&D - written for and run at the 2010 NTRPGCon by Tim Kask

2.) The Snake Riders of the Aradondo - OD&D - written for and run at GenCon 2010 (Acaeum Dinner) by Tim Kask

3.) The Dark Abbot of Kos - D&D Expert - written for and run at the 2010 NTRPGCon by Steve Winter
    Hive of the Wasp Men - Gamma World - written for an run at the 2010 NTRPGCon by Steve Winter [this will be included in the back of the Dark Abbot of Kos since it's rather small, short and no maps]

4.) Tourist Traps - S&W - written for an will be run at the 2011 NTRPGCon by Dennis Sustare

We may also have other digest size reprints not yet determined. All these will have maximum prints of 100 if that many sell (you can read the details on how we plan to sell them this year at: http://ntrpgcon.com/index.php?option=co ... 14&id=1077 )

And in 2012, we will have digest prints of modules by Tim Kask, Steve Winter, Dennis Sustare, Erol Otus and Paul Jaquays as well since they will be writing/running adventures at the Con this year)

I hope this turns out as a good money maker for GaryCon as I hope to help print other digest copies of other adventures written by Tim or others that DM at the Con over the years. It raised quite a bit of $$$ for our Con last year and made a big dent in our expenses.

20. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Hahaha - sweet!!! (That's only a few plates spinning, right?)
    With better than even odds of being part of the aforementioned front door crew, it doth occur to me as this would also assure "dibs" on the opportunity to purchase this much-anticipated gem...particularly as we'll BE there at ass-crackish hours!
    ;)
    For the record, lest there be any shadow of doubt, I would gladly submit myself to hours of frenzied, sweating-like-a-pig running to-and-fro for the good of the event held in honor of THE Dungeon Master, creator of my favorite hobby, and family/friend/mentor/inspiration to so many.

(But the "dibs" thing SHO' nuff wouldn't hurt)
    :mrgreen:

MOSTLY-UNRELATED THOUGHT:
    Whenever one of "us" someday gets rich enough to buy D&D back and see it restored to its glory - :D - could we redo the classic Deities & Demigods, only this time with the additional "TSR mythos/pantheon?"
    I've gotta say, that could be multitudinous sorts of awesome....