Game Cost Calculation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sniderman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

Just wondering how the GPs for each game is calculated. I understand that certain popular and/or special events will have a higher GP cost, but I can't quite puzzle out how the numbers fall into place. For example, I'm running four events, all for 6 players max and all for 4 hours. But two of my events (Ghostbusters and It Came From The Late, Late Show) have a GP cost of 4 points, whereas my two other games (Timemasters and Mutant Future) both have a GP cost of 6 points. Can anyone shine a light on how the numbers are calculated? Does it depend on which day the events are run? (My 4 pointers are on Thursday, and my 6 pointers are on Friday.) Or perhaps GB and ICFTLLS are older games whereas TM and MF are both currently supported?

Just curious.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

The GP cost of events is a combination of factors including day, duration, number of players, and GM fame/reputation

3. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

That explains why all my events are 1 GP. :oops:

MoT

4. Turiciano

Turiciano Level 0 Character

GM fame? I should have to give points for my games. ;)

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

6. Donal

Donal Administrator

Totan is correct. We're trying to align our event costs in a supply/demand type way. Events that typically have higher demand will cost slightly more and lower demand events will be discounted slightly. Demand will increase during peak hours and decrease during off-peak hours. Events with more player slots will typically have less demand. Our VIP events typically have the highest demand. In future years, our popular DMs with frequently sold out events may see their events costing slightly more.

If, a couple of weeks into Event Registration, it turns out that some of our events have a bigger supply that the anticipated demand, we'll probably go in and adjust some prices accordingly. So you may want to hold a few GPs in reserve if you want to really fill your gaming schedule. Plus, you will be able to carry a small number of GPs over to future years.

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Not true! I said "including". I was trying to be polite. But you've forced my hand... GM comeliness is also a factor, also I could swear I've seen you in multiple outfits in a single day, so I can only imagine that there is some hygiene / sweat gland things going on which might be deemed sufficient to impact demand for your events. ;-p

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

What about infamy?

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Well, now you are just being silly. Certainly you realize that infamy is a form of fame and/or reputation...

10. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

C'mon down ta Crazy Jeffery's Early Bird Specials! He's the cheapest DM ya'll'll find at GaryCon! He won't try to sucker ya inta buying him a beer, 'cuz, dangit, 8:00 a.m.'s Scotch-drinkin' time! An' if'n yer worried about yer character dyin' off, don't! There're so many folks playin' together, only a complete fool could get theirself killed off! And yer no fool, if ya join in on one of Crazy Jeffery's Early Bird Specials! No experience? Come on down!! No character? Me either, but we'll make do! Too hungover? No problem! No shirt and no shoes? Well, you'd best've showered first, 'cuz the GaryCon Staff don't put up with no gamer stank!!

So if ya need ta play a game on the cheap, c'mon down to Crazy Jeffery's Early Bird Specials! If ya tell 'im Luke sent ya, he'll even throw in a Sword +2 and a Ring o' Regeneration!!

OFFER VOID IN THE STATE OF WISCONSIN.

11. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Out of curiosity, what are the peak hours?

12. Donal

Donal Administrator

Well, in the past, we're pretty busy from about Noon to 8pm. That being said, I think the only time based discount was for the 8am games (which are not in demand). So as Jeffery St. Clair has said, his are definitely a bargain. Thursday and Sunday games are slightly discounted as well.

13. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

Since I change costumes at least twice a day whist running games, I would not be seen dead in public wearing the same thing again. I'm a lot like Cher in that manner. :D

MoT

14. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Your a lot like Cher in a lot of manners... :cool: Booyah!

15. silas

silas Chevalier

My games are only worth a copper piece right now

Hopefully, I will be worth an electrum piece next year.

16. mark

mark Spellbinder

You guys rock the games you run. Hey, didn't I see you guys at one of the LotR special extended showings at Woodfield Theatre last Fall? I didn't spot you until the end and didn't want to yell across the theatre, though I suppose no one would have minded. It was great seeing them on the big screen again!