Gamers in Interesting Places

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Apr 14, 2011.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I thought I would share an interesting story with my fellow gamers on the board. (At least it's interesting to me and I hope you enjoy it as well.)

Today my wife and I went to the doctor to get the new checkup that her insurance company requires. We're sitting in the office and the doctor notices my iPad and mentions something about it. I reply that it's very useful to read books and I'm reading a few right now. She then mentions she is reading a series entitled "Mistborn." Now, for a geek such as myself, that sounds like a fantasy book if I've ever heard of one

So, I mention that my wife and I enjoy reading fantasy and suddenly, before we know it, we're talking about Tolkien, Frank Herbert and a variety of other authors. That's cool. I meet quite a few people who enjoy reading fantasy. Well, then we step out into the hallway to go to get our blood drawn and the conversation continues. Suddenly the doctor mentions that her "gaming group" broke up a while back but does it in such a way that a non-gamer would just smile and go on. Immediately, we said, "Oh, gaming. Yeah, I just got back from GaryCon where I was playing some D&D."

Boom! From there the conversation took off and we found out we had a mutual friend (and gamer) in the area. He's also a doctor but I haven't gamed with him in years.

So, I thought it was interesting to find a doctor (who I've used before) to be a gamer. What was really funny was that when she brought it up that it came out in such a way that anyone else would not have noticed. So, we ended up standing in the hallway talking for about 5-10 minutes while the nurses were staring at us.

Great times. (Oh, and I told her she needs to read some real Swords & Sorcery and steered her toward Fritz Liever and Fafrhd and the Gray Mouser.)

Blast it, it's great being a geekpreacher!

2. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

You'd be amazed how many people game or did at one point. What bothers me is when people say things like "yea I did that stuff in grade school." Like it is something that is supposed to stop when you get older. As I've gotten older my love for RPGs has grown exponentially. Another thing that bothers me is when people talk with you for a while about gaming, show a huge interest, sharing great stories, and you invite them to game and they say no. WTB!? (What the beans btw [by the way] )

You going to add her to your group?

3. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Dude. She's got gamedar and totally steered the conversation to out you as a gamer.

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Oh, definitely saw it headed that direction. It was great. In fact, my wife said one of the greatest things afterward....she said, "Now that's someone I'd enjoy gaming with......" I haven't heard her say that in a long time.

When I see the doc again, I'm going to see what happens. It would be great to game with some people again. She even said her husband is a gamer. If that worked out, right there I'd have at least three games. Awesome stuff! (Four if I include my 12 y/o daughter.)