Gaming / get-together on Wednesday before Gen Con?

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by tavis, Jul 21, 2009.

1. tavis

tavis Footpad

I'm going to be getting into Indy on Wednesday mid-afternoon, and would be psyched to get together, roll some dice, and drink some beers - I've got an OD&D adventure that I'm especially excited to run if folks are willing!

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hey Tavis- I won't be at Gen Con this year unfortunately. Duty called- I am taking my wife and daughter to Hawaii. We had limited time off and so she- errr I mean we decided on Hawaii :)

Beer and OD&D on Thursday before Gary Con sounds good though.

3. tavis

tavis Footpad

Cool, I'll book my time off in March accordingly!

Anyone else around Indy on Wed.?

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Tavis,

We should be arriving sometime in the afternoon on Wednesday. If you'd like to get together and do some old school gaming, I know my friends and I would be happy to join you.

Do you know if you can go ahead and pick badges up early on Wednesday? I'm thinking we are going to try and arrive as early as possible.

Derek

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Sometime Wed. Can't recall how early in the day it starts, though.

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

You WANT to get your badges (and bag of goodies) on Wednesday. The lines on Thursday's can be brutal.

Also, get over to the RAM to pick up any souvenirs you want- because the cool stuff sells out quick. :p

7. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Okay, this will be my 3rd year at GenCon. What is RAM? I am not sure I remember that one.

8. Dale

Dale Administrator

My bad. The RAM is a bar\restaurant that caters to us gamer geeks. The GM there is a huge supporter of GenCon and every year he goes out of his way to make us feel welcomed.

It's right down the street from the Convention. Ask most people and they will point you in the right direction.

//They brew their own beer, so much goodness about this place. :D

9. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Oh, yeah. I've heard about that place. Everyone has told me I need to go there for some good brew. Guess I'll definitely have to try it out since I haven't been to a good micro-brewery in years.

10. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The Ram is OK- but dont go there Thursday-Sunday it is too crowded. Long waits, decent beer though. The owner is a nice enough guy.

I recommend the Wild beaver Saloon. That is my bar of choice in the immediate AO. As a man of the cloth though, it may not be an appropriate place. :shock:

11. tavis

tavis Footpad

Awesome, Derek! I'll send you my email so we can coordinate. I get in at 2 pm, and my Gen Con roommate arrives at 10 & will be glad to join in the game once he does. We can confirm a time & choose a location once we figure out how many players we have - my hotel room being a good choice if it's not too many of us, with a table at the Ram or an open-gaming conference room at one of the con hotels being better suited to a bigger group. I'm thinking of running "Night of the Walking Wet," an adventure for mid-level characters from Paul Jaquay's old Dungeoneer fanzine - any of you guys know it well enough to be spoilered?

12. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Not familiar with it. I've had a few friends also tell me about the RAM and think that would be a cool place to meet up. Hopefully, if all goes well, we'll get in Indy no later than 3PM.

Looking forward to meeting up w/ some folks and seeing how to coordinate it all. That's always the fun part. ;)

13. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Would love to meet up with you guys before GenCon, but I'm already committed on wednesday:

10AM: Alexander the Great
    2PM-7PM: My living dungeon delve
    after 7PM: chow and a party

14. tavis

tavis Footpad

That sounds like a fun lineup, francisca! Except for the party. I'd much rather socialize via a game because then I know when it's my turn, and I have a better chance of winning initiative. (j/k)

I'm going to plan to get my game started at 6:30 at the Ram, and run Jaquay's other Dungeoneer classic, "Borshak's Lair," so that we can get started quicker. I played in Tomb of Horrors this past Saturday (I don't think it'll give too much away to say that I died alone at the bottom of a pit) and even though we used the pre-gens from the module, it took a long time to flesh them out, choose their spells, etc. (I chose the sixth-level fighter, and spent all the time that the clerics and M-Us were choosing their spells going crazy with the equipment list, buying things like sacks of meat, flour, or garlic and songbird cages at the end of 10' poles. We had a very livestock-heavy party, and it wasn't until about 3 am that the PCs casualties started to exceed those of oxen, chickens, and guard dogs.) So going with ~3rd level characters for this adventure should let us get rolling sooner.

There's some chance we'll start at the Ram but move elsewhere to finish playing, so if you're thinking of joining us & haven't gotten an email from me yet, go ahead and PM me so I can give you contact info to find me with if you arrive late.

15. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Well, I'll probably only stay for a few hours. If someone want to meet up later in the evening, 10PM-ish or later, I'd be cool with that.

I'm actually coming in tuesday afternoon. I'll probably be in the Embassy Lobby playing games or maybe in the Hiatt tuesday night.

16. mark

mark Spellbinder

That was great fun, Tavis! Thanks! :)