Gary Con "pushpin" map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Well how about a virtual one?

The Gary Con "pushpin" Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=118097278325756022030.00048355a60e7b5e2d6b5
    People pinned: 77 . . . . . Map last updated: 04/09/12

Purple for past locations.
    Orange for the next location.
    Turquoise for Attendees.
    Yellow (Gold) for people that have attended Gary Con "0" through 3.
    Green for people that have perfect attendance except for Gary Con "0"
    There are 2 more standard colors available for expansion (Blue & Pink). I will probably implement color gradients to indicate each 5 Cons attended when we get to that point (in 2013).

---------------
    If you want to be included on the map either post in this thread or PM me with the following info:
    Location for pushpin
    Name to use on the pushpin
    (optional) Gary Cons attended

Participation is completely optional - I will not be going through Forum profiles or any other such thing to create pins.

On the locations Give me a zip code, OR city & state (not both as the center of a zip is rarely the center of the town and I don't know which you would prefer. You can also give a "nearby" intersection (with city, state), or county & state, or country, etc. I would like to be fairly accurate, but not exact. Do not give your street address, I don't want some schmuck to find this map and go 'hey, look this person won't be home 3/25/11, I think I'll steal their stuff for drug money'. The more rural or distant from the Con you are the more general you can be and still allow to the map to be fairly representative. Any international friends could certainly just give a country and it would still be representative, although at least provinces would be good for Canada. For USA folks I think at least county specificity would be preferred, and I suspect greater specificity would be good for people within say 150 miles of Gary Con.

On the name I would prefer your Forum name or name, but whatever you prefer within reason is fine. I will not do anonymous pins, because it will be hard to update them as time goes on.

There is a thread (http://www.garycon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=599) that people can use to find games or gamers in their area.
    ---------
    Feel free to post suggestions too. I could add the old TSR building and some other stuff that you folks think is relevant and interesting. Did anyone do something like this for the Gary-Con-Voy?

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

Route 83 and Prospect Ave in Mount Prospect, IL
    Mark (Creative Mountain)
    GaryCon I, II, (III)

3. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Why not just ZipCodes?

4. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I'm not sure that there is an easy way to turn zip codes into a map marker - I'll check.

5. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Zip codes will work. Some people may want to be more or less specific than that, which is fine by me. Top post will be edited shortly.

6. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Well, I'll give you kind of my "central" zipcode. Though I live in Stanton, TN as a Methodist preacher I'm prone to moving over the years but I consider myself based out of Jackson, TN. So, for my zipcode you can use: 38301

and I've been to GaryCon I & II

7. extsr

extsr Chevalier

Thomas S. Robertson ;>

GaryCon 0 (from zip 54548)
    GaryCon 1 (from zip 61115)
    GaryCon 2 (from zip 61108)

8. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I like this, though I still like the idea of a physical display at the next Con.

for me: Ft. Riley, KS 66442. Was in Baghdad for GC I, otherwise I would have been there :(

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I was thinking of printing it out (really large) for GC3.

10. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

GaryCon I - Crystal Lake, IL 60014
    GaryCon II - Crystal Lake, IL 60014
    GaryCon III - Crystal Lake, IL 60014

See the pattern?

It's about 40 miles for me. My office (for work, when I'm forced to go into the office) is 57 miles away. I'm closer to GaryCon than work!

The way it should be...

11. lejanius

lejanius Level 0 Character

I attended Garycon 1 and 2 and will be attending Garycon 3

Saint Paul, MN 55106

12. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Hans (JediSoth)
    Gary Con II
    Indianapolis, IN 46237

13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Portland, CT, 06480
    Sir Jon is as good as anything to tag for my info...
    And I've been to GaryCon I and GaryCon II and plan to be there next year, too.

14. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

Gary Con I Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Gary Con II Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Gary Con III Stone Mountain, GA 30087

15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

dndgeek, Gary Con I-III, New Britain, CT (06051) to Portland (06480) to pick up Sir Jon and then Lake Geneva or bust!

16. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Hey, next year you'll probably be picking up a horde at Hovelhouse.

17. grodog

grodog Troubadour

A fun idea, Totan!

I'm at:

Wichita, KS
    grodog (Allan Grohe)
    Gary Con 0, 2 (and LGGC #3 in case that's relevant)

18. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Thanks! And I'm excited that the map finally went international. 15 people and counting.

19. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

James Lewis (ProlificVoid)
    GC I/II/III

20. lucailario

lucailario Chevalier

I tremble every time I see how far from home I've been!