Gary-Con-Voy, March 18th, 2010

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by the keeper, Feb 12, 2010.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I have noticed a number of posts on these forums, & others, of individuals wishing to visit the 'old haunts' of the TSR gang. I have also suggested a convoy from the convention location (hotel) to the Next Door Pub for the pre-con 'Gab & Munch' on March 18th. I would like to offer my services, & limited knowledge, as tour director for a site-seeing adventure of these locations. We would drive to the Lake Geneva Public Library, (proposed site for the Gygax Memorial, last I heard), park our vehicles there, & take a stoll down memory lane. You would see where 'The Dungeon' hobbyshop was located, as well as, Horticulture Hall, where Gencon was held in the early years. There also is The American Legion post where last years garycon was held, & the even 'earlier' Gencons. We could finish up with a drive past the old TSR headquarters, which is very near the Next Door Pub.
    I would NOT be willing to direct this group to the Gygax family home without pre-approval. I believe in the right to privacy & wouldn't want a bunch of gawkers gathered outside my home without some knid of notice.
    This would probably take no more than 60 to 90 minutes, & would help me build up my thirst & appetite before the 'Gab & Munch.'
    Anyone interrested can post their response within this post or send me a private message via the Garycon forums.
    Luke, if there already is plans for a tour please disregard this post, or just delete it.
    The Keeper (Deekin T.)

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Count me in

3. mark

mark Spellbinder

I'd like to join in, please.

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Do you mind if I cross post this on the Kenzer boards?

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

No problem here, Preacher. :) Go for it.

6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I think the tour should end by laying seige to the Gygax house. If the Gygaxes can repell us, we lose out on the final tour stop. If not, we get to game on the porch. Or, you know, in reality, I'll just avert my eyes if we accidentally pass it.

7. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

haha! That's funny. Count me in!

8. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Sounds fun.

I won't be arriving until Friday afternoon, though.

So, just wear some heavy boots on the tour, and I'll follow the route later, via tracking.

9. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I'll leave a breadcrumb trail........It's Lake Geneva, it's March, it'll still be there. :lol:
    (Heavy boots make my feet hurt.)

10. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

I'm in!

I just got approval from my employer this past Friday to have both the 18th and 19th off, so I am gtg for the convoy.

What time does the train start rolling? I'm going to be booking my flight in the next 2 or 3 days, and I need to make sure I arrive in time (allowing for flight and drive to Lake Geneva from Milwaukee airport).

Andy,
    counting the days : )

11. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I would suggest we gather at the hotel around 4:00pm. Traveling time from Mitchell Airport should be about 1 hour, so plan accordingly. :)

12. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Sweet! I am bringing a friend with me after all so we are in! I think we will be in lake Geneva by 1pm.

13. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

TOO KEWL!! :) Gonna be a great evening of pizza & drinks, followed by a fantasic weekend of gaming goodness!! Life is grand!

14. tavis

tavis Footpad

I see that I haven't stated my eagerness to do this! Please consider this omission rectified ;)

15. greywolf

greywolf Level 0 Character

I will try to leave even earlier in the AM to get there in time for 4 PM. (fingers crossed)

16. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Deekin, very cool offer and great idea!

Well done!

:D

17. howandwhy99

howandwhy99 Level 0 Character

I'd love to join in, but I need to know the time. Did I miss that somewhere?

18. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

We will start gathering at the hotel around 4:00pm. (I should make it there on time as I live a whopping 4 miles away.) I will compile a list of all the names here, check it twice, & about 4:30 we'll hit the trail. That should put us at the Next Door Pub around 5:30-6:00, with appetites & thirsts at the ready. :D
    .......& for those that are bringing their better-half, (Wife), this is a great chance for them to scope out the downtown area. Don't forget your cameras!!!!!
    ......And now Geek Preacher will lead us in prayer for fair weather during our adventure..........
    (Insert prayer here)

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Most definitely. I'll also make sure I'm at the hotel to check in earlier that day. I'm definitely praying for good weather since I'm going to be driving all the way up.

20. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Okay, so far the 'wagon train' is made up of the following;

DnD Geek :)
    Mark :)
    Geek Preacher (Be safe on the roads, & avoid Chi-town.) ;)
    Druvas (Charley, first beer's on you.) :shock:
    Kveldulf :cool:
    Travis :)
    Greywolf :)
    How & Why 99 (IT'S 4:00PM; 16:00 hours; 8 hours before mid-nite.) :p
    Rhuvein (Is that a 'yes'???) :?
    Mordrin :(
    Am I missing anyone :?: