Introduction

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by a flannel shirt, Mar 23, 2011.

1. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

I just felt like I should come on in and say hi.

I've been gaming for almost 15 years now and mostly Star Wars. I have played in a lot of other games too. Marvel Super Heroes, Star Wars (WEG, d20, RCR, and Saga) Ars Magica, Paranoia, D&D 3,3.5,4, and I am a proud owner of the original red box. I love dusting my books off and running an old school dungeon crawl once in a while.

When I first started it was just the thing to do every Friday night after classes. Things changed for me however last year. I can't even honestly say what it is, but I've been eating up and reading almost anything related to gaming.

Which leads to me enworld, which leads me to Mark, which leads me here.

Then I start reading a lot about Gary. The name has popped in every once in a while in my last 15 years but I never paid it much attention. I knew who he was but never knew WHO he was. He was the man to thank for everything that is my favorite hobby. I’ve always been a very creative person and RPGs have given me an outlet to share my creativity with others. I absolutely love it, even when the game keeps me up all night due to wanting to finish the stats for my BBEG, or dungeon, or NPC, or PC, or map etc.

Unfortunately my timing couldn’t have been worse as the big con is this weekend. I won’t be able to attend because there just isn’t enough time for me to prepare. I plan to talk to my wife and the rest of my gaming crew to see if we can make it next year. It is only a 2 hour drive for me. I’ve never been to a gaming con before, and I want my first to be the one that is dedicated to the man that created it all.

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

You won't be sorry. See you next year!

3. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

My wife was looking for things to do in the area while I'm at the con. I'm hoping I can bring my nephew. I ran a game of basic (red box) d&d quite a while ago and he has wanted to play again ever since.

Lets hope things stay the same as they are now. Work/health/time/etc.

4. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Hope you make it next year. If it's your first Con it should be a Trial by F...riggin' awesome!

5. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

I'm still debating on what I want to run / play.

My GM style is 80% run on the fly. Hopefully that translates well to con games. I'm running my first Marvel game in over a year this Saturday. I've been running a Star Wars Sage campaign that has been going for almost 2 years. I am also very fond of running basic editon D&D dungeon crawls from time to time. Also as I type this I'm learning how to use D&D virtual table.

6. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

If you can handle people crashing your game because they liked the teaser and/or the system you've promised to run, then your style will work. My BECMI game was intended to be run with a group of 6-7 players and, like you, I have a tendency to run things on the fly.

7. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

I can relate, AFS - though I started gaming around '81ish (and played all editions of D&D except 3.0), Gary Cons are the only cons I've ever been to.

It's truly an incredible event, I daresay. All of the other ENORMOUS amounts of fun aside(!), the proximity and accessibility of LEGENDS of the game (and I don't use that term lightly) is worth every bit. But yes - besides that, there ARE multiple tons of other fun to be had too - many of which are games run by - or even played beside - these legends. Pure awesome, imho.

8. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hi AFS and welcome to the Gary Con forums. I am confident you will enjoy Gary Con. It is a different type of gaming convention- I would say it is unique. So bring your gaming crew and your wife too! The hotel has a nice pool, a small work out area and a spa. Lake geneva is close enough to Milwaukee and Chicago for a day trip for non-gaming spouses. And don't worry about your DMing style too much. I run at 80%+ on the fly. As long as that is your standard operating procedure, you will be good to go.

Luke

9. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

Thanks Luke.

I am already doing prep work for what could be the games I run. :twisted:

I am very excited and looking forward to it.

10. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

With such an evil grin, are you sure that's not perp work? ;)

11. a flannel shirt

a flannel shirt Footpad

lol

I am a big fan of smileys. Was looking for a reason to use that one. It seemed appropriate and still does.

:ugeek: