Lake Geneva

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geekpreacher, Aug 26, 2010.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

So, is anyone else excited about Lake Geneva this March? I know I am....Life has been a real kick in the pants and I've been so busy over the past few months I'm definitely going to need that vacation time when it rolls around.

I have a question, though, and was hoping someone might help me answer it. I didn't register for my hotel when I did Early Bird Registration (just slipped my mind). Do you think I'll have any problem still getting a room? I may be getting two rooms for next year.

2. Donal

Donal Administrator

Plenty of rooms left at our rate... for now.

3. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I'm not bouncing off the walls yet, been too busy with the kids starting school and football, plus I work at Purdue and class started this week. So I'm too busy to be thinking about GC3 right now, too much, thought it isn't ever really out of sight and mind.

Between now and then I'm going to try to hit Chicago Gameday, Pentacon, and may hit Winter War in January.

4. Dale

Dale Administrator

I'm already there in spirit, drinking some ethereal New Glarus beer.

;)

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Man, I'm with you on that one! Life has just been so hectic with having to move about 3 times from April to June (Storm Damage) and starting work at new churches. It's been pretty hectic....plus classes are starting up next week and all I can think about is wanting to find the time to slay a few critters in an RPG. Heck, I've been so busy I couldn't even fire up the Xbox except to watch some Netflix.

*sigh*

;)

6. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

We didn't register for a room last year at the Lodge and didn't have any problems getting a room closer to March. Granted, I had to drive to the con every morning, but it's not like Lake Geneva is Indianapolis. I'd get up, stop for breakfast, and get to The Lodge in about 10 minutes total driving time. We stayed at the Comfort Suites on the east side of Lake Geneva. It was nice.

7. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Hey Derek, how's it going?! I just registered for a room. There's really no risk in doing so. If, for some reason, you can't go, as long as you cancel within 48 hours your credit card will not be charged.

I think I'm going to have a case of New Glarus shipped to the nearest beer-mecca in Virginia. I hope they can do it...

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Going great, man! Only reason I haven't registered for a room yet is because they charge you for the first night. I'm just waiting for the next pay period to role around before I rent the room. I'm planning on getting two rooms this year because my wife is coming and my friend Redd will also be riding with us. We're still not sure if we're bringing the kids and, if we don't, we still want a private room. <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>

Personally, I'm thinking we may make it a family trip.....especially if a friend of ours decides to get married that week. He's thinking about it but we're still hammering out the details.

I know all you guys are loving your New Glarus and I think I tried some when I was up there but I have to admit I've really come to like this Amber Bock we've been able to get down here. It's some pretty good stuff.

9. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Hmmm. They didn't charge me for the first night.

I was going to make it a family trip this time as well, but, being a teacher, my wife only has 7 days of leave and doesn't want to burn 2 of them. Since we have a new baby, she likely will not have any leave left by March anyway. As much as I will miss my family, that's just more New Glarus for me! :twisted: (So wrong of me to say, and yet, so right :lol: )

Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with the crappy flooding. I hope everything is getting settled for you now.

10. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Well, thankfully, all the problems with flooding have been over for some time now. We moved into our new place the last week of June and we've been trying to get settled in ever since.

Maybe the hotel is doing things differently this year. Last year when I registered they immediately charged me for the first night. I didn't mind it, though, because it gave me more time to budget for other expenses while at the Con!

11. lejanius

lejanius Level 0 Character

last year I was immediately charged for my first night too. In fact I have held off getting my room for a few weeks for that particular reason, money is a bit tight for a while.

I plan to book next week, I am pretty excited for March!

Years 1 & 2 were fun, year 3 should be a blast!

12. grodog

grodog Troubadour

They offered to charge me for the first night, and I asked something like "really?---can't I just reserve the room with my credit card sans a night's charge?" and they did it. So, if you ask and/or throw a fit, they may relent.

13. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

You bringin' the fam? I was going to but after my wife and I talked it over, she decided that it would cost her too much leave, cost too much $$$, and I would just be off gaming while she watched both kids anyway.

14. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I stayed at the Comfort Suites for Gary Con I. The manager there was very nice and even gave me the go ahead to use their breakfast area as overflow gaming if things got too tight at the Legion Hall. So if you don't want to stay on site then Comfort Suites is a good alternative. Of course I like staying on site so I can drink a couple New Glarus beers while gaming. Also staying at the Lodge helps Gary Con strengthen are bargaining power for future years- like room comps for special guests and keeping the food costs low. So if you can stay at the Lodge- please do so. If not, then I recommend the Comfort Suites as a nice alternative.

15. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Hmmm, not sure: do we have any kids-friendly games planned for the con? That would definitely be a deciding factor, since my wife's level of interest in exploring the old TSR scene in LG would be about zero ;)