Marquee Items for GaryCon II Auction or Raffles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaskoid, Sep 2, 2009.

1. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Let's see what kind of choice items we can come up with to help defray the costs of the Con and/or contribute to The Fund.

I will donate a signed #1 of 5 copy of Return to the North, the new adventure I am writing especially for GaryCon II.

From Reaper Miniatures I have obtained two large sets of their paints: one of 50 bottles and one of 75 bottles.

I'll see what else I can come up with. I'd like to see a small auction, some raffles and maybe a doorprize each day. What do you think, Luke?

2. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

There are some folks over on Dragonsfoot that are producing some print material modules specifically for 1st edition AD&D (Thorkhammer's G-4 "Sanctum of the Stone Giant Lord", Fullerton's F-1 "Fane of Poisoned Prophecies", and Black Blade Publishing's "The Secret of Smuggler's Cove" - an authorized 1st Edition re-print of the Dungeon Crawl Classics module, come to mind). Perhaps we can get a few copies signed and donated? Maybe even a couple of print copies of the OSRIC rules could be obtained?

I know those guys aren't the 'rock stars' like Frank Mentzer, Rob Kuntz, Larry Elmore, and you, Tim, but they are making meaningful contributions to the "Old School movement" and I think Thorkhammer's module is a real homage to the person for whom this Con memorializes (I'm not being sarcastic, you guys really are the 'rock stars'!) Getting material from people like those guys out to people that might not be aware of its existence is key, in my opinion, to keeping the "old school" revival going.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

3. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

I have a signed copy of Night Arrant that I can throw into the mix!

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I am working on getting a few special items for the auction. R. Wayt Smith is going to donate a Crusader painting, I am talking to Erol Otus about an original piece of art. There will be a couple exclusive Gary Con modules (thanks to Tim for being the only one last year and for writing another one this year (and many more hopefully!)).

My henchmen and I are working on a fun prize competition for Gary Con II. If all goes as planned, I am sure that it will add an additional degree of excitement for everybody.

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

I'm not sure about Chris, but I prefer the term minion instead of henchmen.

I am a minion of evil has a much better ring to it. :twisted:

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Melf has already gotten my list, (last April), which includes the following;

King Maker, by Avalon Hill, With variant event cards.
    Battle of Britian, by TSR (circa 1990).
    Battle Cry, by Avalon Hill/ Hasbro.
    D & D, "In Search of the Unknown", B1-9, by TSR.
    And a few other 'odds & ends'............

7. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I dunno - I think henchmen get better pay and health care...

8. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Will we be able to pay with a Credit Card this year? *whap* Stop hitting me, sweetie, I'm just asking!

Seriously, though, I'm looking through some of my goodies and seeing what I'm able to part with.....hopefully I'll find a few duplicates in the stack. ;) Unlike some of you folks, I don't have 5 copies of everything.

Anyone interested in a Geekpreacher t-shirt? I think I can throw one of those in. :lol:

9. Melf

Just be happy I didn't use the term "flunkies" Dale :p

10. marjasall

marjasall Level 0 Character

I don't know who this is open to, but I have the original of an illustration that I did for Gary's "The Hermit", if you'd be interested in that. It's the last one that I have left from that book. Also lots of originals of other illustrations from other TLG books, if you think they'd be interesting enough.

11. Dale

Dale Administrator

Probably no on the credit card, but we now take Paypal. So you should be able to use your Paypal funded account (Bank or Credit Card) to pay for items. If there is WiFi- we can use a secure VPN connection to the Internet from a laptop to allow Paypal payments from the event.

I'm sure Luke will be able to give more clarification, but this should make people happy. It's all about happiness. :D

12. marjasall

marjasall Level 0 Character

Who do I contact if I want to hand some stuff over?

13. Contrarian

Contrarian Level 0 Character

If a computer isn't available, it is possible to use PayPal on a cell phone. You need to be logged into your PayPal account to see the instructions:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/websc ... eWaysToUse

I realize this may be an intimidatingly 21st-Century option for some members of our generation, but a good cause such as this, we should consider learning how to use some of the whippersnappers' new-fangled gadgetry when necessary.

By the way, is the start/end time of the auction decided yet? I might submit a game event, and I'd hate to miss the auction fun.

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

Yes, you can you your phone to connect to Paypal and pay for the items/auctions. I need to talk to Luke, but expect Paypal support in some fashion. It just makes sense. As the date gets closer there will be more detailed plans in place.

15. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

As I started this thread, and last year's "auction", let me give you an interim answer about how I see the auction.
    My reason to start this thread was to see what we would gather for raffle prizes, door prizes and a few choice auction items. I'm fairly confident that I can speak for both myself and Frank, my auction partner at GenCon, when I say that I would not want to spend more than one hour doing auction stuff. Maybe 7 to 8 PM on Sat., before the big Circvs Maximvs and Giant LeMans games get underway.
    What I first proposed last year was that we auction a few things to help defray expenses that the Gygax kids had incurred; same for this year. Just a few choice items and proceeds to go to expenses or the Fund. I don't want to see GaryCon waste a lot of potential playing time on an auction that is more for the sellers, like at GenCon. GaryCon should be about playing games, not making money.

Luke, you da man. What do you say?

16. Melf

Tim is dialed in and putting steel on target. The auction will be for a relatively short period of time- approx 1 hour. I do not have a time set yet, but somewhere around a natural dinner break and before the main Saturday night events kick off. Due to the time limitations on the auction, I may use some of the donated items as special door prizes or raffle type items.

If you want to donate an item, feel free to PM me. I will accept donations at Gary Con as well, the earlier the better for planning purposes. A heartfelt "Thank you" to all of those considering donating a treasured item to support Gary Con.

Luke

17. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I agree with Tim and Luke that the auction shouldn't be overly long -- I was itching to play Circus Maximus meself! I am collecting a few items I'd like to see auctioned, but it isn't that big an issue if they're used as way-cool prizes for folk. Anything to benefit the con, the gamers and the experience is where I'm at. Besides, what kind of surprises do you think I can bring from the east coast?

-- Not a flunkie, minion or henchman... I am an adjunct.

18. ghul

ghul Chevalier

I'll see what I can dig up to help out with this, Luke and Tim.

Cheers,
    Jeff T.

19. Melf

Thanks Jeff! I am looking forward to seeing you at Gary Con!

20. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I don't have too much in the way of rare stuff, except for a red fly-leaf Monster Manual (3rd print), which I'll part with for the cause.