New Novelist In Da House!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JediSoth, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

My debut novel has just gone up at Amazon and on Smashwords for e-readers! I have print and iBooks editions forthcoming. My signature has a link to the product page on my personal website.

It's a very exciting time to be me! I made my first sale at 6:40-ish AM this morning from Smashwords. 1 down, 668ish to go until I break even on this venture!

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

Congrats! :)

3. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

That's awesome! I wish I had the level of creativity and writing skill to attempt something like similar.

Out of curiosity... I notice that the art has an animated/comic book look, that some might attribute to more of a children's book. Is that book geared towards children, adults, or both?

4. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Depending on how progressive a parent you are, Wings of Twilight might be appropriate for children as young as...16? (Not being a parent, I'm not really sure). There isn't a lot of graphic violence, there's some language, but nothing really worse than you'd hear on Prime Time television. The only thing that might send some people into fits (like my sister's family) is that one of the romances (how to do this without obvious spoilers)... features a situation the many churches deem a mortal sin? Alternate lifestyle? Wink wink nudge nudge? No lascivious love scenes, though there is kissing.

5. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I started reading the sample. Yeah, not a kids books. It is not at all what I was expecting. So far, I find it interesting and I like the concept. I look forward to getting further and seeing what way things are taken and handled. At that price, I'll probably just buy the full version whether I'm totally digging it or not, just to support you - and to give it full consideration. I can't imagine that you will have trouble breaking even on the project.

6. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I appreciate the support and kind words!

Would you believe it start out as a fantasy parody of labor unions and bureaucracies? By the time I finished the first draft, I realized I started taking my own story seriously and had to go back and revise everything to be more fitting with the new mood. I even had to rename almost all the main characters.

Heck, if I was still in school, I could probably write a paper on novel evolution now. :)

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Finished the sample last night. Need to see what else you got up your story telling sleeve. Yeah, I can see the origins in your story. I also see why and how the "mortal sin" is going to come into play.

8. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Just curious, where did the sample end? Smashwords let me set it by percentage, but I usually think in terms of page number, not percentages when it comes to a book. I think I have an idea where it cuts it off, but verification would be nice.

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Ends with:
    "Sarvesh shook his head and willed the flames away...He could feel her eyes on him as he left."
    obviously with the ability to change font sizes, and differing display sizes page # is useless.

10. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Hmm...that's earlier than I thought 20% would be. I might have to adjust that later. I think somewhere in Chapter 3 would be better, so ALL the main characters are introduced.

Thanks!

11. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

The boards went down shortly after my announcement, but if anyone is interested, Wings of Twilight is available in print now, too. Just click on the link in my signature and it'll take you to a page where you can see all the venues where it's available for purchase.

12. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Congrats!

13. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Bought it, liked it.

14. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Thanks! There's a sequel on the way. I'm planning to have the first draft done by the end of the month; I have a YA sci-fi series I want to get started when I hunker down for NaNoWriMo this year. I figure while I'm doing that, my wife can do the first read-through and edit on the sequel. Then there'll be revisions and editing (hopefully I can find an editor that has an opening early next year). I plan to release it late Spring-early Summer 2012.

Might have to take a less-expensive route on the cover art, though. At the rate I'm selling, it'll be 4-5 years before I break even on Wings of Twilight. :p