Noob question regarding food

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamie Hale, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale Level 0 Character

I'm really looking forward to my first visit to GaryCon but I'm totally freaking out about how to schedule all the games I want to play *and* have time for little things like eating.

Do games usually run right up to their end times?
    Do people usually just not schedule sessions around meal times to allow themselves time for foraging?

Help a noob out!?!

2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

There will be table service, which is kind of encouraged this year to meet contractual obligations (so that Luke can maybe strong arm a better deal next year showing what gluttons and drunkards we are).

Almost every event I've been in runs to really close to the full time.

The table side service at the previous venue was ok but I'm not sure they quite had the staff to really pull it off. Over I can't say enough good things about the staff there. Loved everyone I interacted with.

As for myself, I squirrel away stuff in my room and try to have a few snacks in my bag just in case I can't grab a bite. However, my schedule seems to have enough holes in it to go to the bar to grab some food and a pint or 3.

mark and PBurke like this.
  3. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

The schedule is different this year. In previous years, you could schedule games around meal times. With the change to uniform time slots, you can no longer do that unless you want to give up a minimum of two hours for a meal. In addition, this is a new venue for all of us, but it appears that there will be a wider selection of food at this hotel and there will be tableside service. I don't know how fast that service will be, but I'll be trying that, ordering from the pizza place on site/nearby (not clear on that) or just ordering from local restaurants. Too little time to game to waste spending hours on food.

Traxion likes this.
  4. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I always get breakfast in town at one of the diners (Egg Harbor is good) and grab lunch on site. Dinner's a coin toss. Sometimes in town, sometimes on site. Depends on what's happening.

mark likes this.
  5. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

I have a pretty tight schedule, so my plan is to buy breakfast at the small golf club, which seems to be the most affordable, and then to bring a sandwich and some snacks to the table. I have 2 days with not a minute break and if my blood sugar goes wonky, so do I. :D

6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Erik, I don't want to alarm you, but I think you've got something in your nose.

mark and brendar like this.
  7. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

lol

8. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale Level 0 Character

Interesting. I'll definitely try that out... Where does one find details about such things? I just had a quick bounce through the site and didn't see anything about table service options.

All good info, thank you!

(Do they allow booze at the gaming tables? Or is that just a between/after session activity?)

9. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

This is a great question.

10. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

In the past I've had beer at my table. I don't think they care too much. It's all money. Although I can't recall if I've had it delivered to my table though.

11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Beer and soda has been delivered to the table in the souvneir cups. Just keep your server happy and they will make you happy.

12. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

You could always take a 5 minute break and do a beverage run. Or bring a small cooler along.

13. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

They delivered beer at the old venue, but with the new one I don't know.
    On a vaguely related note, I'm hoping they have a new etched mug this year. The painted ones are wearing off and I'm getting afraid to keep using them.

14. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

I have only gotten an etched glass mug. I avoided the painted ones since you handwash them to make them last.

My plastic cups has had the printing stay pretty good even using the dish washer.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  15. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

End times vary. Some will end early, some will run late (and you'll have to decide about staying or moving on), some run right up against the end.
    But no, if you schedule back-to-backs, you can't count on a cushion for foraging. You can use a wide variety of strategies:

Leave break times between games.
    Eat right before and after arriving at the con at outside eateries.
    Order from the hotel (Last one had tableside delivery and a walkup for simple food. New place will have one of those, not sure about both.)
    Bring snacks or full food in with you
    Store food in your car (which is typically refrigerator temperature that time of year)

In a typical year, I do some of all of the above.

I'm not aware of anything different this year, in comparison to last. What are you referring to?

16. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

With it being earlier in March it maybe more like freezer temperature in your car.

17. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

The table side service was fantastic at Gary Con V. It was less than stellar the last couple years other than in the VIP room. For some reason, the venue cut way back on the number of servers and basically steered us into buying burgers at a food counter. It sounds like the new venue is going to be emphasizing table side service this year, so eating in the middle of a crowded event schedule should be convenient.

18. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

I'm not certain on the new venue but the last venue had a severe lack of Mt Dew soda pop. I plan on stocking a cooler of it this year as I was having severe withdrawals by con's end...