Registration etiquette?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamie Hale, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale Level 0 Character

I can foresee a problem...

I've added my preferred schedule to my cart in anticipation of registration opening tomorrow. I can imagine that at least one of my preferred GP events is not going to be available, and if it's not, I'm going to have to try and book a different day/time, which will have cascading scheduling issues. (I'm such a nerd.)

This might be an awkward/inappropriate question but it being my first time has me worried I'm going to get to the end of the con and still have a pile of tickets left...

Is it appropriate/common/expected to just add a bunch of events in the hopes that I get one that I want, and then "return" the ones I don't?

2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

In years past it was first checkout with an event or several. And then repeat this until you were finished. On subsequent days some events had seats become open since people could return tickets automatically online and you were not allowed to double book instead each badge had to be booked seperately.

This year you register for all badges together and you do not have the ability to return tickets automatically online. To return a ticket you have to send a message and have the staff do it behind the scenes.

I have only added events I intend to play/attend and will go through a second time if things sell out before I can checkout. This may have to be done several times depending on what you want.

3. Jamie Hale

Yah, that's kind of what I expected. I guess we'll just see how it goes...

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

That sort of situation was simpler before.
    The new 'multi-badging' process may bring some added complexity.

5. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

New system, new problems- what we have in place this year is by no means perfect. We already have quite a list for improvements for Gary Con IX, but always welcome your feedback and suggestions.

PBurke and Erik Olsen like this.
  6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Understood. Appreciate all you and the rest of the bunch are doing.

PBurke and Erik Olsen like this.
  7. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

Ditto!

stahlnee likes this.
  8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Looking forward to tasting La Chouffe. It will bring back fond memories of Flanders. I appreciate your efforts in bringing it to GaryCon. I figure I will recognize you by your picture. My picture is one of my favorites from last fall while I was in Central/Eastern Europe.

9. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

I suspect I'll have a shirt that either reads "Россия" or Amsterdam or at least something suitably Dutch :D

10. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

I have about a 2 hour layover, just short the time I need to run into town, but I'm fairly certain I can buy it at the Albert Heijn or Duty Free in the airport :D

11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

I would love a bottle of 7 year old Havana Club rum! I acquired a taste on trips to Cuba.

Erik Olsen likes this.
  12. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

Consider it done :D

13. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Not sure if I am pushing it, but 2 bottles would blow my mind.

I can mix a mean mojito given the supplies.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  14. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

I'll certainly do my very best! But at the very least, one is assured!

15. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Sweet! I am looking forward to meeting you.

16. JamieTheRed

JamieTheRed Level 0 Character

It will be most unfortunate for the majority of people who have waited so long for this day, spent their hard earned money to share in this annual event, and have planned their travels around making this Con one of the best just to not get their event selections because others have double or triple booked events and clicked only nanoseconds before them on a button. What was even more concerning was a comment about someone spending all their "extra/unused coins" on games that they have no intent to use and then handing them out at the Con like they were doing someone a favor (other thread). I still have faith in humanity that GaryCon members will take only what they need, return to the pool what they will not use, and that the powers to be will work extra hard to ensure that events are returned quickly so others that missed out can get them today rather than having to spend the next several weeks trolling blindly through the darkness of cyberspace.

We owe almost all our knowledge
    not to those who have agreed,
    but to those who have differed.

Charles Caleb Colton

17. Jamie Hale

I hear you. It just seems like the system can be gamed - and well we're all a bunch of gamers... :/ One should not be surprised I guess.

I can't think of a way - beyond public shaming - to defeat those who book with no intention of attending.