Sand table at next GaryCon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaskoid, Aug 14, 2011.

1. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

Paul Stormberg and I were talking about the success of his jousting tourney when the possibility of having a sand table came up. It will require some pre-planning, even though it will be a temporary installation (I had one for a great number of years, first in Wisc., then for several years here in Ohio).

I told Paul I would help lobby for one, and if successful, hold a big micro-armor game on it using the rules that Tramp and I used so many, many times in my basement. I am already working on a scenario of US vs. Germans around Metz.

We can run all sorts of games on it over the course of the con. Good idea or bad?

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Great idea! Just takes some logistics to build a sand table. Now if someone has some elastolin mini's we can play chainmail like at the old Dungeon Hobby Shop.

OK, I just googled elastolins- they are now about $50 each figure if you can find them for sale :shock:

3. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Alright, you can hit me with some negative geek cred but I'm not familiar with a sand table. Would you care to elaborate?

4. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

It's like a sandbox for adults, only with legs. :lol:
    Normally used to recreate desert or wasteland terrain for use with minis, usually 2-4 inches deep. Just think of Erwin Rommel & Bernard Montgomery. ;) If I'm not mistaken the one at the old Dungeon Hobbyshop was 4' x 8'. It was awesome!

HEY! I could bring my cats to the convention next year, they'd feel right at home. :lol:

5. mark

mark Spellbinder

Sand table, indeed! Let's do this thing. :)

6. Melf

OK. So does anyone have a sandtable that they are willing to disassemble and bring to Gary Con? Or is someone willing to build a sandtable especially for Gary Con? I think an 8'x 3' table is the right size. Tim- what do you require?

7. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

You can simulate virtually any type of terrain with a bit of water to dampen the sand so it holds shape, along with adding terrains as well. It's probably closer to the truth to call RPGs "sand table" games rather than "sandbox" given the origins of the hobby and the versatility often found in the former in relation to the latter.

8. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Holy crap, that's some ambition, right there!

9. Melf

If there is a gamer out there in within driving distance of Lake Geneva who wants a sand table, I think we could bankroll construction and possibly some gas money to get it to Gary Con. There is the work of assembling the table and disassembly but that shouldn't be too daunting. It would be a great addition to Gary con and certainly bring back memories of playing Chainmail with my Dad in the basement and at the Dungeon Hobby Shop. Now if there was only someone with a vast collection of medieval Elastolin miniatures out there....

10. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy Luke,

Yes, as Tim said, I am bringing a full size sand table. I will be running your dad's Chainmail secenario: Battle of the Brown Hills with Elastolin figures (like the ones used in Siege of Bodenburg that I had set up last year and the ones Chainmail was created for).

I am also working on having Mike Reese run a Tractics game with Roco Tanks and vehicles on the table as well (using your Dad's infantry rules from the Tractics of course).

While I only have two games planned for the table currently it will be available for other games if they are coordinated with me. (Tim said he might run some micro armor or even Classic Warfare.)

Check your PM's for the message regarding this that I sent to Chris and you (I had thought) several months ago.

Futures Bright,

Paul

11. Melf

That is great Paul. Somehow I missed that email about the sandtable. Those events sound fantastic!

Luke

12. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy Luke,

I don't think you missed it - I just didn't send it to you! I sent the original email to Gary Con admin in April and talked to Chris about it. We were planning on discussing it with you but it didn't happen.

For those who are interested, the sand table is 6' x 10' and has a depth of 4" with a 2-3" layer of sand. I have received a number of sage tips regarding the preparation and use of the table by Tim Kask (thanks Tim!) and my wife has already given me the, you-are-freakin'-nuts-look. (The latter is a sure sign that I have gone overboard in just the right measure.)

Futures Bright,

Paul

13. francisca

francisca Troubadour

<spit coke>

:lol:

14. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

Great idea, this. 4 thumbs up! [I know that many of you don't know that I have 4 arms*, but no worries. If yer interested, I'll show them all to you at the next GC!]

:D

[* . . The Minstrel in the Gallery of Castle Zagyg, of course!! ;) ]

:geek: