Savage Worlds RPG

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Druvas, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

I played this game for the first time last weekend at Marscon2010. It was sold to me as a rules-light space-based RPG. I was so confused by the bizarre rules and the unnecessary dice rolling that I don't know if I can accurately describe it. Have any of y'all ever played it? What did you think? In about 4 hours of play time we resolved 3 combat situations with nearly 0 role playing in between. I was ready to slit my wrists by the end... :D

2. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I played it about a year ago. Specifically, it was the Sherwood setting (Robin Hood), and the game was run by Wil Upchurch, the author of the setting book.

My experience was great, nothing like yours at all. There was no bogging down, and the action was fast, furious, and funny when we failed. I played a Monk, named Friar Cook. (no, I've never met a pun I didn't like)

Since then, I've picked up the Savage World Explorer's edition core book, and I have to say I like the system, though I probably won't ever run it, as I've got too many other games/ideas in the queue in front of it. I'd say it's a pretty good system, great for one-shots especially. If you had a bunch of pointless rolls, I'd hazard to guess the setting introduced them, or the gamemaster didn't quite grasp the system yet. If you didn't know, Savage Worlds is a generic engine, in the same way BRP or GURPS is generic, with the setting introducing not only backdrop and flavor, but mechanics in some cases.

3. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Hmmm... Maybe I need to give it another try. But when we were rolling for just about anything, your skill determined what die you roll. You pair that with a d6 and which ever die you roll is higher, you use that. It seems unnecessary. Your opponent has the same advantage. Why not just roll one die instead? The odds would be the same for you and your opponent. Oh well, who can say...

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

A fellow logistics officer is going to give me the Savage Worlds Test Drive rules in a couple minutes. I had never heard of it, but he is a big fan. The DM is the key factor in the success or failure of a game session IMO.

5. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Well, our DM was very pushy (probably just excited that someone wanted to play the game) and he kept bending over and sticking his nethers in one of the other players face. There are pictures over on DF, lol... Follow the second link in my Marscon2010 thread to see the horrors. :lol:

http://www.garycon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=223