thanks from a vet and a newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paladin1128, Mar 23, 2010.

1. paladin1128

paladin1128 Level 0 Character

I brought my 15 year old stepson to his first convention, and I just wanted to say thanks to all the gamers and especially the hosts for a first class experience. Frank slid us into his saturday night game, and my son was amazed. He has asked me every night since if I can run a 1st edition game. We will definitely be attending next year. I have been playing since the early 80's and it is nice to see a new generation getting into the hobby. I did buy a couple of 1st edition books at the con and have started a new 1st ed game with him, his sister, my wife, and our friend. Their first mission is to rescue a shepherdess from an ogre.

Luke, I think we met at Beloit College back in the mid 90's and found that we both had been in the Army. I just found out you are deploying, I was in OIF from 05-06. Keep your head down and hurry back so we can say hi and hoist a beer at GC3.

2. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I just returned from OIF and was happy to surround myself with gamers and get a good dose of 'reality'. Glad you could make it and have such a wonderful time!

3. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

I'd like to just jump in for a brief sec.

Let it be known far and wide that you Iraq/Afghanistan/etc (in the case of someone else I know) vets/operatives are absolutely the effing shit, and I heartily salute and thank each and all of you. I was fortunate enough to get the vastly easier and less complex Operations Desert Shield/Storm/Provide Comfort/Resolved Capable, and what you folks have been out there doing is, IMO, nothing short of heroic. YOU ARE THE GOOD GUYS, over there taking care of business with the lunatics of the world who'd kill us all if they could.
    So I absolutely couldn't be prouder of you brothers in arms.

/hooah

4. Dale

Dale Administrator

Welcome to the forums Paladin! Glad to have you here, and that you had a great time at Gary Con.

Hope you make us your new home- as this is a year round forum. We talk a lot of gaming in the RPG Discussions, and Luke laments a lot about his hapless Bears in the Off-Topic Section. :p

We tend to be a tight little group, and are more than happy to have you included.

See you next year at Gary Con III!

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Paladin. I am glad you are sharing the old school goodness with ypur son. I have a poor memory- but if you post up a photo of yourself it might help me remember if we met at Beloit. I graduated from Beloit College in 1996.

Luke

6. paladin1128

[​IMG]

Here is a recent pic Luke. I didn't attend BC, but my friend Scott did, he was the guy at the con with the crutches, if you remember him. Anyway, I spoke with you in the hall, I think in the BSFFA building, at some point back in the 90's and if I recall correctly, you were also a 19D, or had been in one of the units I had, or something like that. Anyway, I seem to remember talking about battle streamers on some regimental colors with you.

7. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Actually I was an 11M back in the day. I was stationed in Germany with D Co 1/7 INF and then at Hood with 1/9 CAV. I went into the WI ARNG as an 11B for a few years before going to OCS and becoming a Transportation officer. Nowadays I am a logistician (90A).

I was a BSFFA member and I invited the current BSFFA members to attend GC- without any response though.

8. paladin1128

Brought my son back again, along with 3 others, we had a great time. Can't wait for GC 2012!! I am thinking of running a game of Lock n Load's World at War.