Ticket Pickup or print email?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by datagoblin67, Feb 1, 2016.

1. datagoblin67

datagoblin67 Level 0 Character

Will there be a registration package with tickets to pickup at the con like in years past, or do we just print out our email/ticket list and grab our badges there?

Thanks!

2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

It is 2016. Can we just show the "ticket" on our phones?

3. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

excellent questions

4. draven

draven Level 0 Character

My email confirmation included QR codes. That was new. I assumed they'd get scanned or something at the table, but it would be nice to get clarification.

5. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Yeah, I kind of assumed they would be print & scan. I hadn't thought of phones (in large part because I'm a flipphone holdout).

sir jon likes this.
  6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Not sure about email since there was a hiccup with them.

How about with logging into your account and showing that?

7. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Yes- you will receive a paper ticket for each of your events in your registration packet when you check in at the front desk. QR codes are new with our ecommerce software and we're not sure or not yet if that will be functional during the Con. It certainly won't be necessary, at least.

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

The problem there exists at the table end of things.

The GM would need a:
    • a device to decode qr codes (not a stretch if one has a smartphone with the appropriate app but not everyone has one)
    • a way to verify that the data in the qr code is valid
      • this would be another app of course
    Shit man, even GenCon still uses paper tickets and they have a lot more events and folks to deal with. Seems like a doable idea but has some logistical hurdles to be viable.

9. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

GM having to a specific app to run a game? Not going to fly with me. Would be interesting to see how many Old School GMs would be willing to do this.

Instead put the load on the convention organizers. Have the organizers get a printing machine that could read QR codes and print tickets along with providing paper tickets to account for those who never recieve emails from the system.

10. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Not flying with me either, but not because I'm an Old School DM, but because I'm a paranoid IT guy who tries to get crap off his phone, not add more.

sir jon likes this.
  11. osarious

osarious Chevalier

If I have a ticket with a QR code, is that a guaranteed seat at a table? The suspense is killing me.....

12. athornton

athornton Footpad

I am going to confidently assert "no." At least, not in the absence of a reliable real-time QR verification system.

Because I was one of the gun-jumpers before noon, and I got an email, with tickets, with QR codes, which I then printed before it became clear that hadn't counted.

Now, *I* was a Lawful Good person and recycled those. But there is no way for Gary Con to know that I am telling the truth about that.

13. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I think the intent behind the QR codes is that they'll be used once the DM turns the collected tickets into the front desk, so that WE can scan them more easily into our data capturing actual event participation. It's hard enough to get some of these guys to use email, much less a QR scanner... :p

This is a feature that came with the software, and as I said before, likely isn't going to be used this year. The paper tickets you'll get at the registration desk will look a lot different from the ones in the email and will be the ones we consider 'official'.

14. thenorthman

thenorthman Level 0 Character

Well it's not your print outs that get you a seat. They said you will receive tickets when you check in. So I'd say yes your getting a seat.