Adventurers League-Keep on the Borderlands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tron, Jan 25, 2017.

1. tron

tron Level 0 Character

Does anyone know if these adventures will be based in Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk (and using the "Greyhawk Variant" of 5e)?

Same question for Adventurers League Tomb of Horrors?

I'm hoping one of the organizers can provide some feedback.

Thank you!

2. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

Right now, none of us have seen the adventures. I'll ask one of the authors, who will be attending the convention, and see if he has more information for you.

I suspect that they'll be based in FR. My reasoning is that you'll want to be able to re-use the same character in other adventures, and you don't want him or her stuck in some other dimension.

3. tron

tron Level 0 Character

Thank you for the response and please let me know what the author's response is.

I've had the same thought, but also thought perhaps the "Greyhawk Variant" is being play tested for a future release, with an Adventurer's League program to support it.

4. tron

tron Level 0 Character

Have you heard anything back on this?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

5. mwisconsin

I have not -- the guys are at Winter Fantasy this week, so I suspect they'll get back to me sometime in the next few days.

6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Figure this would be the best thread to ask.

Most of the Adventure League games list character level ranges. However, several do not. For those that do not, is any character level suitable? Or should be people be prewarned what level is needed?

7. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

They should all list level ranges. Which ones do not? Do they at least list the Tier? To answer your question, all Adventurers League games are designed for a specific "tier." Tier 1 is for characters level 1-4, and is the only tier that pregens are provided or allowed. Tier 2 is for characters level 5-10, Tier 3 is for 11-16, and Tier 4 is for levels 17-20. In order to play in any tier other than 1, you need to have a character of tier-appropriate level that has leveled up from experience gained from AL play or DMing AL games. If you are playing a Tier 1 game, you can either bring your own character created using the AL character creation rules (on my phone at work, don't have the link handy) or you can use one of the pregens that will be provided, representing all (IIRC) the classes and races in the Player's Handbook.

I hope this helps, Edwin. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Either myself or @mwisconsin (Thomas Valley, the AL room organizer) should be able to help.

Poindexter likes this.
  8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Understood. Was not sure if it was intentional or not. I will post a list later tonight. Some have no level and no Tier listed. I sorted the csv file by AL games with level 1 thru x and those with nothing in the description. Will do the same to get you ID numbers.

9. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

I checked and at the bottom of several of the event pages there is fine print that list character level. The tier or level is not listed in the main description box at the top of 33 AL events. Hopefully the 88 seats sold all saw the fine print.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. gamerdork

gamerdork Level 0 Character

On a related note, and apologies for semi-hijacking the OP's thread, but... is one allowed to play in the scenario, "DDALKE - Keep on the Borderlands: Grand Assault", if one has played in NONE of the previous KotB events ("A" through "H") ?

Thank you and happy gaming to all!
    - Corey

11. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Absolutely. The "A" through "H" games lead up to the big finale, so if you don't play any of those, you will miss out on some of the story elements that take place prior to the Grand Assault. Think of it like reading Lord of the Rings without being familiar with The Hobbit. You should still be able to enjoy it just fine, you just wouldn't know as much of the back story.

You will still be able to play as there is nothing required from playing the mini-adventures. All that is required is a willingness to have fun and an AL legal character, and since this is a Tier 1 adventure, pregens will be available if you don't have a character or just want to try out something different. And we can't actually enforce the willingness to have fun requirement, but I'm assuming without it people wouldn't be going to a Con to play games. :)

Poindexter likes this.
  12. mwisconsin

I'll take that under advisement for next year, Edwin. As it stands, the description for the field that specifies that is "Long Description", and that's how it was presented to us during the import of 400+ events.