Adventurer's League noob!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamie Hale, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale Level 0 Character

I'm super excited to play in the mass game events this year... except I've never done league play before.

I have no problem registering and creating a 1st level character and whatnot, but said 1st level character will not last long in the Tomb of Horrors.

Does anyone know if appropriate "temporary" pre-gens are available for high-level games for people without an appropriately leveled league character?

2. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Pre-gens were provided last year.

3. Jamie Hale

For high-level games too? A friend has reported someone else saying "pre-gens for 1st level, but not for the higher level games".

4. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Pre-gens are only provided for 1st level characters, which will allow you to play in any Tier 1 game. Characters are only allowed to take part in games of the appropriate tier, so a first level character would not be allowed to go through Tomb of Horrors or Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. If you register but do not have a character of appropriate level at the table with you, you will not be allowed to play. Anything above Tier 1 requires you to level up your own character through Adventurer's League play. You also get experience if you DM Adventurer's League games, so you could put that experience towards any character you choose. That will not be likely to help you, but figured I would mention it in case someone else might be able to take advantage of that feature.

If you are going to create your own character, make sure you follow the rules to make sure you have an AL legal character. You can download the free AL Player's Guide and Character Sheet here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/adventurers-league-resources. This will give you all the specific rules you need to follow during character creation. You can also download a copy of the Basic Rules for free if you do not have a copy of the Player's Handbook already. That will not have all the races or classes, but will give you enough information to be able to create a character using the core classes and races, and give you enough of the rules so that you would be able to play if that were all you ever read.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'll be one of the admins for the AL room. If I can't answer a question, I know people who can.

Poindexter and JediSoth like this.
  5. Jamie Hale

Well that's crappy. I guess I have some gaming to do...

6. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

As someone who has only minimal AL experience this is good to know. I can open a slot up for someone else then for the 5e TOH game.

Still, not trying to be a snarky jerk but something about the above statement gives me pause.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  7. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

This is simply the way company-sponsored organized play works. You start with approved Level 1 PC. You sit through X amount of Level 1 events, receiving automatic treasure/XP after each one. You reach Level 2. You sit through X amount of Level 2 events, recieving automatic treasure/XP after each one. You reach Level 3. Rinse and repeat until Level Last. /shrug

Poindexter likes this.
  8. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

The Adventurer's League is Organized Play. That's the difference. When you have Organized play, either you stick to the organization, or ...you don't call it that.

In order for us to offer these high-level modules, we need to stick to the organization.

Now, there are ample opportunities at the convention to level a character up. I think you'd really have to plan it out, starting from the opening of the gates on Thursday, to get yourself a T3 character by Friday night, but we've put a lot of stuff out there.

My best advice to you: Start up an AL home game with some of the free content available, or buy some of the inexpensive modules on DMsGuild, and spend the next few months leveling up a few characters so you can play in everything available. Keep your log sheets with the character so that you not only have a record of what items and gold you've got along the way, but your DM has a record of it as well, in case he needs to verify where you got that +5 Mithril Plate of Dragon Buggering.

9. mwisconsin

I think the characterization of "automated" is unfounded. Certainly, there are automated rewards for the DM. But players need to actually earn any XP or Gold or Magic Items.

10. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Great! Then it has improved from my experience a few years ago.

11. Jamie Hale

I'm with you, though it's made me think.

If it's really league play, then it's league play and league rules need to apply.

But does it really need to be league play? Why not just run 3 mass events with epic adventures and be inclusive?

Whatever, I get it. It's a business/marketing thing for Wizards. It's their material, it's their league, they can do what they want. But as above, it gives me pause.

12. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

There's absolutely nothing that I know of that would stop someone from running a 5e Tomb of Horrors with pregen characters. It just would not be part of the AL.

Poindexter and chainsaw like this.
  13. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Exactly. If somebody wants to convert the original module and run that with pregens, they can. Or, if Wizards eventually releases their 5E adventure for sale, somebody could buy that and run it with pregens. They wouldn't be AL legal, but that wouldn't be a negative for most players. I don't think there would be any trouble filling a table if someone were to do this. In fact, there are tables with 5E conversions of AD&D modules being run at this upcoming Gary Con.

14. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I will be running Tomb of Horrors as a miniatures event next year, if you can wait that long. :)

Poindexter, Scott308 and chainsaw like this.
  15. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

To be clear, I registered for "GARY1: A Night to Remember" on Thursday Morning.
    I do not (and will not) have a registered 5th -10th level character, so I need to drop that from my schedule, correct?

16. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

Additionally, I think the events should have been clearly marked that they were for Adventurer league members only so people didn't waste time thinking it was open to all attendees.

17. mwisconsin

You have the option of creating a character prior to the convention and playing through a few adventures to get him up to the required level.

18. mwisconsin

The adventure is marked event type "Adventurer's League". It's in the Adventurer's League room. The GM is "Adventurer's League GM". The comment description lists it as: "This event is for the Adventurers League." The description begins: "An Adventure for characters of level 5-10".

For new players, every AL game that's listed that qualified as level 1 characters is open to all attendees. As stated prior to this: You can bring your level 5 character and join in the GARY games as well. There's no qualification of membership, there.

19. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

Having a registered level 5 character by definition means you are a member. It should have been clearer that "Adventurers League" games were not open to all. How would someone know that "Adventures League" games did not have a pregen options like other gaming Societies/Leagues/Associations have in the past.

Buttmonkey likes this.
  20. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Hopefully, the 5E Adventurers' League organizers will be a little clearer about the requirements for their higher level events next year. The responsibility for that seems to lie with the AL people, not the Gary Con staff.

Poindexter likes this.