Badges for 2017?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daveculp, May 19, 2016.

1. daveculp

daveculp Level 0 Character

I missed this last year because Gary Con fell the weekend before my schools Spring Break and there is no way I'm getting that time off work! This year the dates are almost perfect. I noticed a link for badge sales and the that everything but Silver level is sold out. However, that cant be Gary Con IX in 2017 can it? Is that last years badge registration link?

2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Yes it is. However, I'm just an attendee and not a staff person.

As far as I know the site hasn't been refreshed just yet for Gary Con IX.

3. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

yeah, they usually take a couple months off , then start any major overhauls, I think last year tickets became available in July or August?

4. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Last year half the gold badges went on sale during GenCon...so that should give you some idea with respect to time frame.

The other half went on sale I believe it was a week later....

5. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

And I believe silver badges went on sale sometime after that.

6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

During GenCon works for me :)

7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

August 13th. Well, so says Melf.

8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Thank you!

Can you update us here as we get closer and the details are firmed up?

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

He still says it.

OGRE MAGE likes this.
  10. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

With badge purchasing a week out can we get a rough idea about how events will be "purchased"?

I'm guessing with the new system the old GP/SP economy is out the window. However, have a basic layout of the event economic will help with selecting badge level.

Will it be "pay per event" like GenCon or something else, like badge levels have a certain amount of credit?

I was having a chat with some friends during our roll20 Classic Traveller game last night about Gary Con.

This is their first time coming to GC and they were asking about badges and event stuff.

Most of what I/we know is out the window since GC is moving to a new system or whatever. So without knowing how the event economy works I can't adequately give them advice, nor can they make a good decision about what badge is best for them as newbies.

11. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

What makes you think that? Just because of the new system code?

Admittedly, I haven't heard anything, but my guess would be no changes in the general purchasing structure.

http://garycon.com/registration/ and http://garycon.com/events-submission/ have been slightly updated, but indicate the same general system as usual.

12. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

No one buy out my wife's badge. She had a rough Gen Con and needs to feel hopeful for Gary Con. :D

13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

@mordrin The registration page is slightly updated like you mentioned. The numbers for each badge level after the new content (top of the page) aren't updated (stating only 10 Platinum and 2 Diamond instead of 12 and 4. Also, the Badge registration page doesn't have the same level of detail as the email, mostly the "Featured Events Slots".

While I won't be getting a Platinum or Diamond badge it would be nice for the rest of us to know what "Increased VIP event pre-reg access" and "Priority VIP event pre-reg access" mean. My assumption is that Diamond gets to "spend" their Featured event slot allocation first. As for the non-VIP events I'm not sure how the access will be handled.

I haven't had time to work through the tabletop.events convention creation process to see what the options are.

Personally, I'm not too worried. I'll be running about 7 events and my time for on grid events will be limited. I just want my friends that will be coming for the first time to have a decent shot at getting into any Featured Events.

14. bighara

bighara Chevalier

It sounds like one would need to buy their badge on 8/13 and event registration is later? Do I have that straight?

15. francisca

francisca Troubadour

That is my understanding, especially as there hasn't been a call for events at this time.

16. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

For the most part.

If you want a BigFancyBadge, you'd best jump when they go on sale.
    If you're just getting a basic Silver, you don't need to pounce the moment they open up.

Event Registration won't be for a long time yet. Typically early February.

17. bighara

bighara Chevalier

How much earlier is early registration (Gold), I wonder? Last couple of times I attended, stuff I wanted filled fast.

18. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

19. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

@bighara Also, a percentage of Featured Event seats will be set aside for Silver registration time.

That percentage hasn't been defined but doing some quick math:

4 Diamond badges x 4 slots = 16 seats
    12 Platinum badges x 3 slots = 36 seats

So 52 FE seats are claimed before Gold gets their shot.

150 Gold badges x 2 slots = 300 seats

Then Silver goes after their FE seats (1,000).

I would have to dredge my db of last year's events to see how many events where in the GP range (what I'm assuming will now be called Featured Events). The summation of those 4 badge levels is 1,352 seats (I should be adding in Youth Badges well but I'm assuming they are in the Silver level in terms of registration).

I want to say that there were around this many GP seats last year. However, there were like 3 kinds (1/2/3 GP) so not quite a 1:1 comparison. Silver badges couldn't get into the 3GP events unless you bought more than 1 since the coinage was pooled when you bought more than 1 badge (like for you and your family).

Looking at the email the youth badges are for only 8 and under and it looks like they don't have any FE slots for them.

So, yeah, to be certain to get into a FE it might behoove you to grab a Gold badge since the Platinum and Diamond folks won't come close to using up all the events.

One sticking point some might have about this is not knowing what qualifies as a FE. I'm guessing anything ran by a Special Guest will be a FE event. There looks to be about 41. Some of those folks might not run an event but I know that many run several. There are also others that run events that get tagged as FE.

20. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Hmm, looking at my data from last year there appeared to be 1,053 seats for events that cost 1 GP or more (692 were 1GP, 333 were 2GP, and 37 were 3GP).

For those playing along at home and haven't tuned me out yet.