Early Bird Registration Sept 16

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Sep 7, 2012.

1. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I know it...beer stein. My weakness. I'm just hoping this means we can get "Make Me So Happy Hour" refills free with the stein. :D

Of course, it doesn't really matter to me because my cups usually have something with a little bit higher proof alcohol. I promise....it's just to kill the germs. :lol:

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

ThrashLibrarian: Read the newsletter for info on GPs and SPs. http://www.garycon.com/newsletter/09182012.html If you still have questions fire away and I will try to help. IIRC, you have the option to list your real name as well as your site handle on your badge.

Capitalbill: I don't believe GPs and SPs carry over from year to year. If you have a dollar credit balance for some reason on your account, it will stay from year to year.

3. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

That's generally what folks do with the "alternate name" on the badge, ThrashLibrarian - leastwise I always have! :ugeek:

4. capitalbill

capitalbill Level 0 Character

I managed to stumble into the old thread where I had seen about GP rolling over. It was in the thread that discussed how game costs were decided. Relevant comment is at the bottom of the quote...

http://www.garycon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=777

5. Chuck

Chuck Level 0 Character

My alternate IS my name. Makes my life easier. Oh yeah, hello everyone.

6. So let's see, free beer during Happy Hour, five bucks a beer, eight beers to break even, Thursday through Sunday.... NO PROBLEM!!!

7. smokin

smokin Chevalier

My computer is not idiot proof.
    I just registered (and paid) twice. Can I get reimbursed for the 2nd one somehow? at door maybe....?

8. Re: Early Bird Registration Sept 16 (Edit: Delayed)

That is awesome! How did you play clerics?

9. If we want to can we upgrade from say the copper registration to the early bird at a later time. I wanted to use my credit from last time when I couldn't make it (sob!), but I only have $60 for my wife and I. I wanted to get the $40 for myself and the copper for her for $20.

10. Melf

Smokin' : PM Donal and see if he can reimburse you via PP or CC. If not then I will spend it on wine, women and song..err... I mean we'll have to refund you in person.

11. Melf

The Early Bird has a time limit and will expire Oct 31 IIRC. I am not sure that our system allows for upgrading to a different badge (at least not easily). I might recommend buying your Early Bird and then waiting until closer to GC to purchase the Silver or whatever badge you wanted for your better half.

12. smokin

smokin Chevalier

In person isnt a bad thing...that way i can spend it at dealers tables and such....5 months from now it will feel like free money

it was sent echeck i think, so you may not even have it yet

13. Donal

Donal Administrator

I was going to post that it's impossible to accomplish this feat... and then I checked. And it's possible. You win the prize this year for finding the work around. I'll send a PM on how we'll sort it out.

14. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Alright, I can't register until after the 1st but someone clue me in on the badge options. Early Bird is $40 and nets 3 stadium cups (useless plastic to me). If I purchase a Silver badge, I get a souvenir. I can even get a badge for $20! So, other than the swag, what's the difference between a Silver badge and Early Bird? And why shouldn't I just forgo the swag and pay $20 for the weekend?

15. Melf

bloodymage,

See below from the "package differences" thread. This is my take on it. You are welcome to buy whatever badge option suits you best. Copper badges were designed for GMs too busy to use a lot of points to pre-reg as well as youth gamers. However there is nothing barring you from going that route and either choosing to buy swag at full price at the con- if it catches your fancy.

**Platinum: You want to guarentee getting one of the premium GC souvenirs (Stein, Stadium Cup Set or T-shirt) and you want to fill all 4 days with pre-registered events. You get the opportunity to play in 2 or 3 VIP events (Tim, Frank, Jim, Ernie etc) and multiple other events (3 SPs average for an event).

Gold: You want to play 3 VIP events and fill your GC with lots of pre-registered events. You get to choose a GC souvenir (hat, print, GCIV module or a single stadium cup). This is the choice for gamers that want to maximize game time and are less interested in guarenteeing a premium souvenir but still like to have something from GC V. Last year we sold out of many souvenir items by Thursday night, especially steins and certain T-shirt sizes.

Silver: You want to play in 2 VIP events and play in 4-8 other events over the 4 days. You get to choose one of the 3 stadium cups. Note the cups allow you to buy discounted soda or beer throughout all 4 days of Gary Con and depending on the color get you either free soda during happy hours or free beer on either Friday or Saturday during happy hours. This is the option that should satisfy the majority of people. Plenty of gaming and the bonus of discounted/free soda or beer.

Copper: This option is designed primarily for GMs that will spend much of their time running events and young gamers that are accompanying their parents. There are no souvenirs built into the package (but there will be some available for purchase on site). The 15 SPs will enable you to pre-register for 4-6 events.

Early Bird: This option gets you into 1 VIP event and 6-8 other pre-reg events. You get all 3 stadium cups ($25 value). This is a good option for someone that wants to balance pre-reg events with open gaming or private gaming sessions as well as partake of free soda and beer at both happy hours.

I hope that my take on the packages is helpful and that we provided enough options to satisfy everybody. We always welcome feedback to help us continue to improve Gary con.**

16. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

As someone who just registered moments ago, I can see where some of the confusion lies. Let me see if I can shed some light on it (although Luke has hammered it home quite nicely).

When you purchase your badge, you're not just paying "admission." You're also registering for events -- or at least you're getting your GP and SP in order for when event sign-ups open. Planning on playing in a lot of games? Make sure you get a badge with plenty of SPs. Want to make sure you get into those four-star Premium events? Be sure to have more than a few GP set aside.

I was trying to decide between the Early Bird and Silver packages myself. I got a set of the stadium cups last year and they look nifty on my shelf (plus the many MANY beers they each held during the convention). The Early Bird package comes with 2/20 (GP/SP, respectively). Because I also GM several games, that would be more than enough to cover any events I wish to play in given my limited open time. But this year, I'm arriving early and staying an extra day. I will have ample extra time to play! For me, it's worth it to go with the Silver package. I'll forego a couple of cups (but I'll still get a Saturday cup with the package!) plus I get 3/25 for more events under my belt. As I'll have more time to play, those extra coins are gonna be needed! And I'll still have that cup with me during the entire event, getting refills.

Just gotta weigh what you want (cups? souvenirs? none of that?) as well as how much gaming you plan to do. (lots of pre-regs? show up and play whatever is open? lots of games with the Big Guns?) Whatever you decide, you're going to have a blast.

17. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Is it possible to register for more than one person or do I need to register each one separately?

Thanks,

GP

18. ogrevampire

ogrevampire Level 0 Character

Website looked great, eveything was working great. Thanks for the great work!

19. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Geekpreacher:

Login to the main garycon page, click on my account, then click on the sub-account tab. From there, you can create subaccounts for your wife and kids. You can then change to each sub-account in turn and purchase badges, register for events, etc.....

20. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Thanks! I'd forgotten all about it. When you mentioned, I realized I did the same thing last year when I registered for a friend. I guess there's no way to pay for it all as one package but that's okay. It will just be multiple PayPal accounts.

I have to say, though, I'm a bit nervous about registering the family. When I tried this in 2011, my wife and kids were unable to attend due to a family matter so that left me stuck with a number of tickets. In some ways that wasn't a huge problem and it's not like I was out a lot of money....it just felt wasteful.
    ;)