Errors in Event Catalog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buttmonkey, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Some of the events in the event catalog are listed out of sequence:

Event 210422 The Making of the Ghost Ring
    This event is on Friday at noon, but it is listed in the middle of the Friday 10 am listings.

Event 212415 Midday Star Frontiers - Another Fine Mess
    This event is on Saturday at noon, but it is listed with the Friday noon games.

Event 212417 Fountains of the Deep
    This event is on Friday at 4:00, but it is listed with the Friday noon games.

Event 212418 From the Gamehole: the Battle of Emridy Meadows
    This event is on Friday at 2:00, but it is listed with the Friday noon games.

Event 218513 Black Orc Down
    This event is on Saturday at 2:00, but it is listed with the Friday 6:00 games.

314801 The Lost City - 1st Ed Dungeons & Dragons
    This event is on Thursday at 2:00, but it is listed with the Saturday noon games.

316410 Dragon's Song 2: Berlin Waltz
    This event is on Sunday at 8:00, but is listed with the Saturday 4:00 games.

320496 A Glowing Arch
    This event is on Friday at 8:00, but it is listed with the Saturday 8:00 games.

413301 Monty Haul's Lesser Tower of Doom
    This event is on Sunday at 1:00, but it is listed after a Sunday 6:00 event (one of them is out of order).

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

BM -

The default event view, for whatever reason, just happens to be "almost in chronological order, but not quite."

However, if you go to the top of the listings, and click the start time column to sort by that, then you should
    see everything move into correct order.

The only true error I can spot right now is that both Dark Colony sessions are listed for the same time.

3. bighara

bighara Chevalier

You should check the catalog for duplicates too. There are quite a few. The LANCE RPG events and Mike Clark's Pathfinder games were the ones I spotted.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for finding those and bringing it to our attention. We will do a scrub to delete the duplicates before we go hot for reg.

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Several more items that need correcting:

Double bookings:
    - Castles & Crusades Society Tournament
    - Gerry Buldak
    - Saturday 10am-2pm (310503)
    - Saturday noon-4pm (312420)
    - Saturday 2pm-6pm (314456)

Double bookings galore:
    - Mike Clark and his clones
    - numerous
    - scheduled to run 200 hours of games during a con that is less than 100 hours in duration.

6. Dale

Dale Administrator

I've spoken to Mike, and he indicated that these times are correct. He is part of the Pathfinder Society- so he has others running them.

I will find out from Gerry about his events.

Thanks to all for going through the events submitted. And, we should have the sorting order corrected soon.

7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Are there any other listed DMs who are having others substitute for them besides Mike?

8. mordrin

We'll see if anyone else knows, but typically 'placeholder GM names' are only used when a group has a large number of events (PFS) or a tourney has a lot of slots.
    So, I'd say PFS and the AD&D Open (not posted yet, although I think in the past it listed the GM as "Various"?) are the most likely candidates.

Also, once in a while an event (usually with a large, even number of players) is multiple tables with multiple GMs.
    For example if you see "Learn to Play the Nifty RPG" 12-4pm, 24 players, GM Steve Smith, odds are it's not Steve running one table of 24 players, it's actually Steve plus 2-3 GMs prepared to run up to 4 tables of 6-8 players each.
    The only one of this type that jumps out at me is Stephen Chenault's C&C games for 18 people. That could well be designed for up to 3 tables of 6 each.
    Then again, it is 6 hours, he could be running an unusually large group. I don't want to sound like I know for sure.
    Jim Ward, for example, frequently (although not this year) runs Metamorphosis Alpha RPG events with 10-16 people at his table (of course, it doesn't stay 10-16 for very long...)

9. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I believe the C&C tournament will have 3 different GMs running sessions (which is why it looked to an earlier poster like there were duplicate entries).

10. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

I know at Gamehole in November, Jim Ward ran his Monty Haul Tower of Doom with a large group. He said we went longer without dying than any group he had play that one. Granted, it also took us longer to get inside than any other group. :D Once inside, however, the numbers shrank pretty quickly. I think Frank Mentzer's Saturday night game had 10-12 people. Those guys have had a little practice doing what they do, so they can make it work pretty well.

11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Thanks for the information. There are a couple of DM I would like to get. But if they use substitutes I would probably select other events to participant in.

12. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

I just noticed Frank Mentzer is scheduled to run a 6 hour game on Thursday at 10 am, but is also scheduled to do a seminar at 2 pm. Something doesn't add up. Also is his Saturday Night Special really running at 10 am on Saturday?

13. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Swapping out DMs is pretty unusual. For the VIPs (like Frank, Rob, Tim, Jim, etc.), I can't imagine there would be a substitution barring death or dismemberment (and that would almost certainly result in a cancellation). For non-VIP events, I think DMs would only be substituted for events sponsored by an organization (e.g., the Pathfinder society). For events run by individuals in an individual capacity, I would expect an event to simply be canceled if the DM were not available on game day.

14. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Who are the VIPs then? All games are listed under events with nothing under VIPs yet.

Don't forget about hot glue, staple gun and duct tape. Nothing going to stop an event!

15. mordrin

Are you referring to this page? http://www.garycon.com/special_events.php

This always confuses someone, because that page always mentions special events, but doesn't list them.

Everything in the catalog that costs GP to register for is a Special and/or VIP GM event.

16. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Yeap!

Got it!

Thanks.

17. Dale

Dale Administrator

That would be my fault. I will fix it tomorrow. *Bad Dale*

18. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Dale: there's a typo (an extra slash) in the rules system for one of my Aliens events, #110202.

19. Dale

Dale Administrator

Fixed. Thanks.

20. mordrin

Although I will also point out that while everything that costs GP is a Special VIP event, not all Special VIP events cost GPs.
    There's a handful of SP ones, like Dungeon! or Mike Carr's events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJ5Ybt7L2k&t=0m12s