GaryCon II By the Numbers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mark, Mar 23, 2010.

1. mark

mark Spellbinder

Hiya, Powers That Be! Any chance of getting some numbers regarding attendance, prereg, walk-in, VIP, volunteers, GMs, etc.? I'd also be interested in how this compares to last year. I've heard someone guess less than 200 somewhere but also heard somewhere upwards of 230 bandied about at the convention. Curious minds want to know . . . (please) :)

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I second that interest!

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

I heard from someone that Gary Con II was like a TSR family reunion, from 1976 when everybody liked each other. I asked how many TSR employees he thought showed up and he said between 40-50. That alone is impressive.

The attendance numbers have been counted, and should be released soon.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hi Guys,

It was fantastic to celebrate the life of my Dad with so many family members, friends and fellow gamers. I don't have an official count- as I just got back home this morning. If memory serves me well the numbers were (unofficially my best guestimate) pre-reg: 148; walk-in: 100 VIP/Guests: 15.
    So Gary Con II was over 200 people for sure and I am confident that it was over 250 people.

Gary Con I had approximately 165 people attend. So Gary Con is definitely growing fast. I recommend pre-registering early for Gary Con III. There is only space for 350 or so at the Lodge- and with all the positive feedback I heard I am sure attendance for Gary Con III will continue to grow.

Luke

5. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I agree, sir. Next year is going to be more crowded. The feedback I'm seeing at The RPG Haven and elsewhere shows an increase in level of interest that might just outstrip that capacity.

Now that's just all of us jawing about it while we come down off the high of another great con and people responding positively to the idea of con where things are not quite so...I'm not sure how to explain it. But life will intrude and people will not be able to make it and so forth. But I would not be surprised to see that top end pushed next year.

I'm already getting plans together to bring the family up for the entire con. The kids were bummed the didn't play a few games in addition to the swim time at The Lodge. And I've had at least a few members at The Haven expressing interest and checking drive times, flight costs, etc.

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Mmmmm.......I know I'm a grumpy old man now, but I kinda like it small. Perhaps you should cap it at 300, for historical reasons.

SPARTAH!!!!!!

7. Melf

Yes I have considered limiting admission but I am leaning against that. How do I turn away gamers that want to celebrate with us? We have to find a way to keep the same comeraderie as we grow. That is a challenge- but a good one to have I suppose.

8. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I suspect that as Gary Con grows that the DM/GM:player ratio will decline. It is much easier to be a player - I know I don't have the skill set to GM well enough for a Con. So a big part of the trick, I think, will be to attract a sufficient number of GMs to keep people gamin', without the stress of 'oh, will I be able to get into something next slot...'. If the GM:player ratio declines much, then it will become a lot like the other conventions where it can be very hard to get in a game.

I enjoyed the "small" group (of 200-250) as I had the honor of, by chance, playing multiple games with a number of (former?) stangers whose company I enjoyed. That too will diminish as the Con grows. If it grows too much then it could become very hard to distinguish it from the other major Cons, especially if relocating to a major city is needed.

It is a tough thing, I think, balancing the spirit of Gary Con with accepting all who would like to participate - especially if folks have as positive an experience as this year or better. If it does someday come to limits, I would hope that prior attendees would get priority. If Gary Con continues to be a tradition for me I would hate to be excluded due to a body limit (and perhaps slow internet connection) - as would folks on the flip-side of the topic; those who have not attended all or most of the Gary Cons to date. I have the honor of saying that I have attended GC 0, I & II, a streak that I hope does not end any time soon.
    ---------

fixed typo

9. mark

mark Spellbinder

I intend to lose some weight so that we can have another attendee without actually increasing the space requirements. :D

Thanks for the numbers! :)

10. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

That is very nice of you Mark, however one's width, not depth, is the most critical as far as table space is concerned, and that is not the dimension most affected by dieting. So please, promise me that if dieting doesn't work (or if it does and you find that my hypothesis is correct) that you won't try laying sideways in a cardboard bailer before GC3 - it was fun playing several games with you. Besides when there are 14 of you does it *really* matter?

11. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

how many pounds you lookin to lose...14?

12. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

On Sunday I was talking to some folks about that, and I am definitely registering at least two events to DM next year. I was going to run pick-up games, but I think we'll need more games on the schedule as the number of attendees grows. I'm no ex-TSR employee, but I think I run a pretty decent game. Next year, more Star Frontiers, run by yours truly!

13. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

This was actually my first real gaming con. I spent most of the time observing and soaking in as much as I could, not to mention can after can of Diet Coke. (Seriously, I drank more than a gallon of the stuff on Saturday.) Should the timing of the con fall during my spring break, I plan on registering to run two events: a basic D&D game and an Alternity one. After Tom Wham's suggestions regarding my card game, I'm hoping to resolve the learning curve that seems to be the biggest hurdle to enjoyment so that hopefully I'll get more people interested in it.

14. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Yes, I'm also thinking about running a game or two next year. It will give me some time to make sure I run the game a few times with some friends so that I can have it down pat. I've got an old school module or two that are my some of my favorites and I'd like to put them on the schedule. I'm definitely thinking about running one for those that arrive early so that they can get in some gaming goodness right away.

I'm also thinking about running a game or two of KenzerCo's Great Space Race so that may help out with the gaming. I was going to run a copy of Kill Dr. Lucky this year but when I got to the Con I realized I'd picked up my copy of Save Dr. Lucky instead and, honestly, I just didn't feel like the spirit of that game was appropriate for old school gamers. :twisted:

So, with that in mind, I think as the Con grows we can find some more GM's. Heck, I'm sure I could talk Redd into running one or two non-collectible Card Games like Munchkin (which has an old school feel) or Werewolf.

15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Dr. Lucky is old school enough for me. Who cares, anyway, as long as we're having fun, right?

16. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

off with his head.

this post brought to you by the Queen of Hearts i think i held most of the weekend.

actually i was thinking the numbers were about right for the size of the venue as it stood for GCII. if it were possible to get the other rooms across the way too then i think adding 40-50 attendees would be okay. any more than that could make things cramped.

17. Dale

Dale Administrator

Luke is way ahead of you on getting the additional rooms. ;)

18. Rhuvein

Rhuvein Troubadour

That's excellent that you got Tom to have a look at it! :)

19. mark

mark Spellbinder

Excellent. :)

Do we have dates for next year, then?

20. Melf

Working on it now. I am 99.9% sure, but I want to have the contract signed before making any announcements. We will also get pre-registration up in the next few weeks for Gary Con III.