GC II Comments and Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Totan, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

I agree, a more robust Sunday would be great. Game-wise that is up to GMs. From what I recall it seemed like all the GMs in the games I played in were from afar, while a lot of players seemed to be from within 150 miles, which could help explain the lack of games on Sunday. Folks that had further to go were leaving earlier to get home at a reasonable hour for Monday's drudgery. However, as you suggested perhaps the Orgs. could plan something interesting as backup if Sunday looks weak again next year. I know at least one person that will try to run something Sunday. If I was a GM of any caliber, I would try running something, but I'm not... :-(

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I can't remember if this has been mentioned or not but if you guys put together a flyer in .pdf format that can be printed up I can make sure it goes to at least two Gaming Shops in the area. I can also talk to a friend who is active with two gaming conventions in Memphis and see if he'll put up some flyers with them. He may or may not because GCIII will conflict with MidSouth Con in Memphis.

While MidSouth Con is closer, I must say I have a load of fun at GaryCon. The reason? GaryCon is all about the games! The friendship and an all around family atmosphere. Many Cons like this "feel" and I can't say how much I appreciate it.

3. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Well, I'm local, so if they need another DM for Sunday games, I'll be happy to oblige.

4. Donal

Donal Administrator

Oh, yes, we have plans for Sunday. Big plans.

I did run a Dungeon game Sunday at 9am, and besides my full table, the rest of the tables were rather empty. Perhaps Sunday should only have 1 slot, a 10-3pm or something like that?

But I do seem to recall you leaving early on Sunday, Totan, yet you advocate a fuller schedule? I, at long last, was able to finally take a break and play almost a full game in Slot 10, closing out the Con in Shalaban's DJ game.

Actually, I've always been a Noon departure at Gen Con for as long as I can remember. Until last year. I closed Gen Con and now Gary Con, and you know, it feels good not feeling like you have to rush around and get out of dodge as quickly as possible. Just relax, jump in an event, ignore the clock, and enjoy the final few moments of the Con.

5. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I'm going to see about running at least one more event, but Sunday is out for me as I have to return to Cincinnati, a little over 400 miles. (And when he's got my back, I drop the Axeman off in W. Laf.)

I don't know if I'll run another adventure or perhaps alter the Circvs Maximvs format. If the latter, I might run two 2.5-lap heats (I may deputize someone to run one of them--the Axeman knows the 2nd Ed. Adv. Rules at least as well as I do, if not better.), and the top 4 from each of them would race in the Feature. Past champions would have a free trasnsfer into the 4 Lap Feature. That would make a ten chariot race; I will have pre-generated quality teams for all the Feature drivers that will make for really exciting racing as they will be as balanced as I can make 'em.

I will also reserve two Sponsor Exemptions that I may or may not grant for the Feature.

What do you gamers want? Another adventure session or more carnage and mayhem on the sands of the Great Arena?

6. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I gave it some thought and here's my idea.

Proposed new format for Circus Maximus at GaryCon III
    Two heat races, each to be two or two and a half laps long, each to have a maximum of eight racers, minimum of 6. Top four finishers in each heat transfer to the Feature

Heat races should rely on driver skill and gaming luck. It will not pay to be bashing about in a heat if you don’t transfer to the Feature.

Past Champions automatically entered in Feature; need not run Heat. Two Sponsor Exemptions may or may not be granted. (see below)

Feature Race to be Sat. night, 4 laps long. All drivers will be provided with splendid teams as befitting a Feature race. It will be exciting and thrill-packed, and could become quite brutal; I give my plan a High Mayhem potential. Qualifiers will have discretionary options as always, just done differently.

Perhaps we can get Luke to pop for another really spiffy trophy if I give him one of the Sponsor Exemptions…lol.

7. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Yes I did indeed leave earlier than I had anticipated. There were no scheduled events that interested me slot 9 or 10. After a late start, I socialized for a few hours and then when a game that a friend was going to run slot 10 got nixxed due to several people bailing out, I pulled the plug and headed for the hills. I probably would have played in Shalaban's DJ game if I saw it and hadn't already played it earlier (assuming it was the same scenario). I had planned on shutting Gary Con down, and suspect I will next year.

8. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I love the idea, actually. Speaking as a guy who plays D&D/AD&D year-round already, I love every chance I get to race in the Circvs. Knowing I can get into at least one killer CM race is great for me.

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Great comments guys- keep 'em coming!

I like the idea of a short break between time slots and an hour around dinner time. Sunday needs a little gravitas, so I will have to think of something to entice folks to stay and close out the con. Maybe we can do a family rate or easier a junior rate for kids 13 and under (or something) and maybe Friday is "Ladies Night" at Gary Con. All women get in free and unlimited generic tickets :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback. It is very rewarding for "the organizers" to hear that you all enjoyed Gary Con :D

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Simple! Special drawing, late sunday. Winner must be present. Tickets can be picked up at the registration desk sunday morning.

11. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Well, with all these Sunday activities I may have to see if I can drive back on Monday next year. I didn't realize until later there was a church across the street from the convention center so next year I could actually attend a service while at GaryCon.

I must say it was interesting having a Sunday "off" but driving back that day was pretty rough. I didn't get home until around 1AM and was really beat. Of course I got home so late because I was able to get into a couple of pick-up games as well as spend some time talking with people. If I could have managed it, Redd and I would definitely have stayed until the end.

12. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

It's why I started SIGPUP: The Society to Increase the Gaming Population Using Procreation!

On a more serious note, my kids love to game - they've played Marks mini's game at least a half a dozen times, maybe more. They've even made their own variations. I originally started them on 3e, but it's been a long time since we played D&D, and I've decided to move them to 1e when next we play.

I brought them up to swim this last time (on Saturday), but I'm guessing they would have to preferred to game first...

13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

This sounds really cool... I could easily go for this sort of setup.

14. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

"I'll take Circus Maximus for $1,000, Alex." :cool:

15. Melf

Circus maximus is a blast and I like the idea of 2 qualifying heats. I am sure I can find a way to get another trophy (assuming there is a spot for Luscious Gygantus' cousin to race ;) )

16. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

If you are referring to your next incarnation in a tunic, of course. That is what Sponsor Exemptions are for.

Also, I have been studying drawings of the real CM. The game version has a very truncated straightaway; I'm thinking seriously of stretching the straight at least another dozen or 15, maybe even 18 spaces. That makes a 2 lap heat a lot more fun, and we can do a three or three and a half lap Feature.

What do you think, Melf?
    (Melf, a new brand of dog food in Rome for dogs with cleft palates...they ask for it by name:"melf", "melf", "melf"!

17. Melf

I am all for more straight track. Those turns are dangerous! And I think a 3 lap race with the adjusted track would be good.

18. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

It would mean you'd get run over less. ;)

19. extsr

extsr Chevalier

NASCAR version: circular track, no straights. (Slow. :/ )
    Formula One version: left & right turns, straights leading into hills down, etc...
    Fantasy version: Each driver has a Wand of Wonder (5 charges/shots)
    Chaos version: Half the drivers are going clockwise, the other half aren't.

20. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

What? No figure-eight?