Good deals?

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by shalaban, Oct 4, 2009.

1. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Went to a nearby RPG shop and found this for a mere $20.00! The parts not even punched out! :shock:

There are two blanks for you to draw Snits on so I hope to ask Tom Wham at GC II if he would be kind enough to draw some Snits on the blanks for me. :D

Anyone else finding any good deals out there? :?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

I can't speak to whether they've been good deals, but I've had grand luck lately in my quest to collect old TSR titles..

So far this year I've managed to snag copies of Classic Warfare, Cavaliers & Roundheads, Don't Give Up The Ship!, Legions of the Petal Throne, Battle of the Five Armies (love that DCS cover!) and currently awaiting delivery on War of Wizards.

Sadly, not so much luck with some other stuff I'm looking for; I suspect some sort of felony will be required to get copies of White Bear Red Moon and Nomad Gods.

Andy

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hi Andy, If you haven't tried them yet I would suggest Noble Knight's. (www.nobleknight.com) Anytime I can't find something I go to them. Haven't let me down yet! Just type your request in their contact box. If he, Aaron Leeder (Owner/Operator), can't find it he will send out an A.P.B. to ALL his customers requesting at least a photocopy of manuals, maps, etc. Hope this helps.

Deekin T.

4. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Funny you mention Noble Knight.. haven't bought from them in a while, but probably will in the near future since I'm going to be trading in a bunch of old gaming stuff for store credit (getting ready to move in a few months so I'm clearing the dead wood).

I've always had good experience with Noble Knight when I did buy from them last, good to know they have kept up their high standards : )

Andy

5. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I've found Troll & Toad to be helpful but they are usually overpriced. HOWEVER, if you find they have something in their store you might find them auctioning the same item on eBay for a lower price. I've seen that happen quite a few times.

Best deals I've gotten lately was a friend giving me a 1E DMG and PHB in nearly mint condition. They weren't rare but it was pretty kewl to get some extra copies.

I purchased the Expert Set of D&D on eBay and got a fairly decent price for a boxed set. It's not the set I had when I was kid but the newer set that was put out later.

6. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

I've bought some stuff from Troll & Toad as well. They are pricey, but I have had good experience with quality of the product and shipping so it's been worth taking the wallet hit on a few occasions.

On the plus side, I'm starting to clean out some old gaming stuff I'm not using by trading it in to Noble Knight for store credit so like the alchemists of old I'll use that chance to transform several piles of stuff I don't use into a much smaller pile of cool stuff I've been looking for : )

Andy

7. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Well, I picked up a complete copy of Titan for $33 on ebay friday night.

A few months back, I found 8 copies of Rail Baron at a GoodWill for $0.99 each. 4 were complete, 3 were complete but missing instructions, and the last is missing a few pawns and chips.

8. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

New Titan or old Titan? Cuz old Titan goes for $100 from what I've seen. If you have more than one copy of Rail Baron, I'd like to purchase one. I have many fond memories of playing that with my family. One of Dad's favorites.

9. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Old Titan. It has been going for less on ebay, but was still going in the $75-$85 at the GenCon auction.

I'll be quite happy to sell you a copy of Rail Baron. I'm giving one to Kask to auction off for his charity next year at GenCon, will keep one for myself, and plan on selling the rest. I'll PM you.

One other great deal I got, a long time ago, was a shrink wrapped copy of the original Traveller boxed set, for $10.62, shipping included!

10. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

Man... :eek:

I so want to find one of those bad boys... that would make my triad of "childhood RPG" collection complete - D&D, Mechwarrior and Traveller.

11. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

Wow! Which GoodWill did you go to? I've been to all three in town and never anything worth even looking at.

12. francisca

francisca Troubadour

The one by Target on 52. The one on the south side never has jack, except for the nice poker chip set I picked up for $3.99. I'm confident* some dude is going to unload his wargame collection at the west side store some day. :D

*meaning I hope I get really lucky!

13. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Heh. To the disdain of collectors everywhere, I busted that bad boy out of the shrink, too. Because I'm a playa' not a collecta'. :ugeek:

14. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

Here in NYC, anything that isn't nailed down that looks like it isn't garbage is gone from any bargain shelf immediately. I remember going to a convention upstate in Schenectady in 1990 and thinking I was in Bizarro world. Replacing, rounding out and acquiring doubles of almost my entire original AD&D collection for a freaking song.

Just prior to that, I was playing AD&D for two years without a DMG and a PHB thanks to the sticky fingers of some "new players". You know those harmless-looking and buttoned-down guys who say "can I just study this and bring it back next game because I'm not sure about these rules?" and then proceed to drop off the face of the earth?

;)

15. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Yeah, those type of guys need to be tracked down and beaten. I never loan out an RPG book (or any book for that matter) that I'm not willing to lose. So, if I loan you an RPG and you keep it, fine, because I've got a backup that I like better than the one I loaned you. OTOH, if I don't loan it to you then you know why......

There are VERY few times I've ever loaned out a book without having a backup copy around the house and, then, only to a rare few people.

FWIW,

16. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

That's exactly how I feel about too!

17. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

My most recent ‘Good Deal’!

My wife works with a lady who needed to get rid of her brother’s gamming material at his request. My wife set it all up without telling me until it was time to go and get them. She is so cool! :cool: I was told that there was another big box filled with more goodness, and a bunch of related game novels they wanted to get rid of as well. So of course, I said I would be happy to take them off their hands… ;) I am a lucky guy! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This picture is just a different view of another picture, but I thought it made a good desktop background so I thought I would post it also in case anyone out there wanted to have it for that purpose.
    [​IMG]

Anyone else come across anything cool in a ‘Good Deal’ like this recently? :?:

18. Emperor Xan

Emperor Xan Troubadour

Did the absinthe come with it? ;)

19. shalaban

shalaban Chevalier

Nope, that was from GCI. :)

20. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Regardless, I bet it made your heart grow fonder.

:D