Event Catalog Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donal, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I count 130 last year and 168 this year.

Looks like an increase at first.

However, I suspect overall attendance will go up, too.

And events are now spread over 3 full days instead of 2 (Sundays are really a half day and fairly sparse), so they are more dispersed.

2. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

That's 25% more events (130 vs 168, not that that reveals total game hours, but still a point of reference). 33% more Con hours (42 vs 56) - although if you assume that 1/2 the people will spend 8-midnight at the Pub crawl, then that drops the effective Cons hour increase to 29%. +/- X% attendees (likely an increase).

Based on the above it would seem like events will fill as in prior years and seems likely that more events will probably be needed.

I personally would like tickets to be distributed, so that I have as much notice as possible if an event looks unviable and needs to be changed or cancelled. I also would like to prevent trying to fill my tables with late comers trying to scramble to get something, especially since some prep is needed.

3. I submitted an event but it was not approved. What could be the reason for this?

4. osarious

osarious Chevalier

Wondering the same thing. I submitted mine a week ago. I know I have interest in my event (AD&D First Edition "Tomb of Horrors").

I also know the higher ups have been on the board since then.

Not sure what the holdup is. :?:

5. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Were your events rejected or just not approved YET? I know Donal is swamped with a lot of stuff. Please post again if it has not been approved by Saturday night and I will follow up.

6. osarious

osarious Chevalier

Yet.

7. It was rejected. I am not really upset as there are a lot of games and I can probably do a pick up anyway.

8. Donal

Donal Administrator

Unfortunately, it could not be rejected. There is no "reject" option. There is status (approved/unapproved) which we can adjust as needed. In unapproved status, you can continue to edit your event and even delete your event. Once approved, it's locked against editing/deletion.

If you log into your account and select "My Registration", you'll see that your event is still there, pending approval. After we opened up event registration, we decided to hold additional event submissions for 2 weeks and release them to correspond with an global announcement. It will also correspond with an updated excel file.

We are obviously in our busiest time of the year, and trying to time many things with each update. We're hoping early next week to have some good news about GPs.

9. jeffdee

jeffdee Level 0 Character

Speaking as someone whose games got caught in this two week hold, let me just say that it's extremely frustrating.

10. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'm pleased to announce that I have just submitted two more events I will be running on behalf of Margaret Weis, using her new, Marvel Heroic Roleplay system, (please note, these events are not being ran as part of the DGS offerings, for obvious reasons). I have had the opportunity to read through this new system for roleplaying in the Marvel universe and I must say, Margaret has done a great job. This seems to be the best succesor to TSR's classic, Marvel Superheroes, I have yet seen--and there have been a few less-then-stellar past attempts. So, taking nothing away from the TSR classic, which I shall also continue to play, I hope you will give her new system--and my events using that system-- a shot. :)

BREAKOUT! (Thursday 2PM - 5PM)
    The Raft, a maximum security super-prison, designed to hold the world's most dangerous criminals, and yet it has been breached! Now the world looks to its heroes. Face front, true believers for with great power comes great responsibility. Excelsior!

This is an introduction adventure to the Margaret Weis written MARVEL HEROIC ROLEPLAYING GAME and is based on the New Avengers #1-6 storyline. No experience necessary

Into The Savage Land! (Friday 8AM - 11AM)
    Welcome back, true believers! Deep in Antarctica lies, the Savage Land. It is a tropical region populated by dinosaurs, mutates, and other creatures passed over by time. It is also a rich source for Vibranium. Now it serves as the sanctuary of the villain, Sauron, recently escaped from the super-max prison known as, the Raft. S.H.I.E.L.D. has sent you, one of Earth's mightiest heroes, to bring him back to justice. But in the Savage Land, nothing is ever as simple as it seems. 'Nuff said.

This is an introduction adventure to the Margaret Weis written MARVEL HEROIC ROLEPLAYING GAME and is based on the New Avengers #1-6 storyline. No experience necessary

11. Man I would love to get in some of that action. I never get to plau supers.

12. Donal

Donal Administrator

Jeff, I think you might be even more frustrated today had we released your event immediately as you would likely have a 2-week old event with zero tickets purchased. I'm not sure what you know about our registration system, but each badge only comes with 30 GPs to register with. Most, if not all, of our event registration has been completed. Therefore, publishing new events now results in little or no actual registrations (only new badge purchases are still fueling event registration).

By holding these events and timing their release with the availability of additional GPs, we hope that will kick start event registration again and fuel interest in many of our events, including our newest ones.

I'm working to hard to get all this worked out in the next few days, so keep your eyes on the website and your emails for the announcements.

13. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

Sounds good. I'm waiting for the Tomb of Horrors to be released and 20 gp's burning a hole in my pocket.

MoT

14. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

I checked to see if I could swap one game I'm running for another -- same Bat time, different Bat channel. There has been no interest in my Late Late Show game on Thursday night, so I’ve asked to swap it out with something a bit simpler to run with fewer players, as well as something that may have more appeal. So I’ve asked for Thursday’s 8 p.m. game of Late, Late Show to be substituted for:

Title: DGS Presents: Ghostbusters – The Shadow Over Yonkers
    DM Name: Tim Snider
    Game system: Other — Ghostbusters
    Game Type: Role-Playing Game
    Duration: 4 hours
    Start Time : Thursday — 8:00pm
    Maximum Players: 6
    Description: Random citizens of Yonkers, NY, are waking in the middle of the night to wander mindlessly and wide-eyed into the Hudson River, never to return. The Ghostbusters are contacted by Prof. Clark Olmstead of Miskatonic University (Yonkers branch) to investigate the phenomenon. Is it Innsmouth all over again?

I thought a “Ghostbusters meets Cthulhu mythos” game might be a bit more appealing. ;) (Plus I can run it with fewer players than Late Show). I’ll let you know if the swap is approved. Otherwise, I may run it as a pick-up at some point.

15. Dale

Dale Administrator

Just a quick update... as Storm & I have been finalizing the Event Catalogue all week. We are almost done. Chris gave us the few remaining needed pages. :D

The exciting news is that we have over 200 scheduled games! This does not include the TONS of pickup games that will be played. A nice increase from last year.

Thanks to all for stepping up and making GC a truly awesome event!

16. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Aw, I was interested in trying out LLS.

But, as fortune would have it - I've never gotten to try GB, either. (Weird that you never see it, now there's 3 separate GB events on this year's schedule).

I'll probably try and catch this (or reg, depending on new GPs being distributed).

17. Storm

Storm Level 0 Character

:mrgreen: :p :x :lol: :cool: :? :shock: :eek: ;) :( ;) :D :oops: :cry: :ugeek: :geek: :roll: :!: :lol:

slaving away on this years event catalog >_< you guys better like it :)

... no seriously.. you guys better LOVE it!

p.s. there's a little man in here. find him.

18. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

There are still six tickets left for each of my KenzerCo events. I'm preparing hard and studying hard for these two events, "Wool Be Gone," a HM LtH session and "The Lost Shooting Star Mine," an A&8s event. I really sweat blood and tears over this stuff anymore, so I'll be ready. Don't be afraid to sign up. :D

19. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Thanks to the hard work of Dale and Storm, the event catalogue is completed and off to Steve for printing. We have a ton of fantastic events lined up. Thanks to all of you that are running events this year. You help make Gary Con a great celebration. I look forward to seeing everybody and (hopefully) playing in many of these events!

20. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

I think it's a pretty damn good idea to release a block of new events - along with new loot for buy-in.

I second Luke's sentiment above as well, along with hugely enormous thanks to Chris for what must be a mountain of logistical things, too!
    While it's true that Gary Con is undoubtedly an incredibly fun time, that doesn't necessarily mean that all the work that goes into making it happen is, too.
    While things may seem frustrating betimes for those of us who are for the most part "on the other side" here, I would urge everyone to take a moment when feeling any frustration, and realize that everything being done is being done without pay - gratis - by those who are nonetheless very passionate about this most noble of events, and also thankfully skilled in the types of things for which they volunteer their own time - and other resources, for that matter. People who otherwise have full-time (or more) jobs, families, and all of the other day-to-day chaos of life.

I can also guarantee, though, that they do want to hear about it, should there be problems.
    Many types of frustrations and concerns might also be better served via a private message, too, as opposed to, say, a general grumbling on a message board.
    With everything else going on, they may not have as much time to spend pouring over the various topics to check for grumbling - whereas I'll bet that if they're sent a message instead, it virtually assures that they'll see it in a more timely manner.
    :cool: