Gary Con IV Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Aug 9, 2011.

1. mark

mark Spellbinder

Melf - Sounds cool though I wonder if we gamers really need a shuttle for a few hundred yards distance. ;) :D

2. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Glad to hear about all the great plans, Luke. I'm definitely looking forward to the convention and am excited the closer it gets.

3. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Depends where you are from, I imagine.

If you are from the great lakes area, or the northern great plains: nope.
    If you are from Florida or Arizona: probably.

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

The weather is unpredictable that time of year. I think we have had 70 degrees and sunny one day and cold and rainy the next. So laying on shuttle service IF we use a remote building is a good idea.

5. mark

mark Spellbinder

Nice. I wonder if we could get permission to have some pool-side games?

I like the pavillion idea more than the other building with shuttle idea, FWIW, though they both are good forward-thinking plans. We might have to do both before we outgrow the place.

6. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Seems wisest and best that poolside games be limited to actual games you would play in the context of swimming. Paper, dice and other small things, stabby pencils/pens, maps, books, ad infinitum, don't particularly go with close proximity to large amounts of splashing water, and unarmored (no shoes, pants, etc.) folk not associated with said gaming, intent on using the swimming pool for its intended purpose.
    My own thoughts.

As an addendum, we likewise should probably not check into whether or not we could have a few games in the spa. As much fun as it would undoubtedly be.
    :cool:

7. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

Or the restrooms.
    :mrgreen:

8. mark

mark Spellbinder

And yet a pirate themed game using floating ships and whatnot with big foam dice that the youngsters could play might be awesome!

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

What in the hell kind of games are going through your head, James?!?

10. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

Actually, I spent the summer of 1983 in an AD&D campaign played afternoons in a pool. Laminated character sheets, crayons for writing, and all rolls had to be dropped to the pool bottom and read there underwater. Took forever, but it was fun as hell for those three months.

11. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

That sounds amusing - I like it - providing I have enough water "proof" sunblock...

12. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Why the devil isn't there a hotel link on the con page?

And what's the promo code?

And, as long as I'm at it, how do I submit events and when's the deadline?

13. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

THIS:

:?

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

The info is on the "new" site, which has been delayed in launching. It should go live (fingers crossed) next week. So the "old" site was not updated. So, I apologize about that.

There is no promo code, but you must say you are attending Gary Con to get the rate and to book the room.

Here is what I posted earlier concerning the hotel:
    Rooms are still available. You can book your room at The Lodge, by calling (800) 225-5558. You must mention that you're attending Gary Con, & you get the $79 rate. If you stay Sunday, the rate is even cheaper! Book early as we will sell out.

Remember, we are doing 4 days (Thursday - Sunday) for Gary Con IV. So please book accordingly. :)

15. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Well, I guess I'll be there. Now, what about submitting events?

16. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

WooT! BOOKED!!! [​IMG]

yeah, for my first year I can only be there the three core days of the event Thu-Sat (leaving mid-day Sunday). Unfortunately my wife will not be with me after all, which means I need to save a couple of those 'planned' vacation days to share with her another time of the year. Perhaps for 2013 I can arrive Wed and stay thru Monday. ...we'll see.

;)

17. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Well, I 've got my Golden Four scenario pretty well fleshed out. I'm trying to do the map for it, but I keep flubbing it. Just put the opening lines on an Aces & Eights adventure. Pulled out my HM books to try and come up with a LtH session for that and my brain just isn't coming up with anything yet. I might even get ambitious and try for a C&C romp.

18. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Jon has some Barsoom-inspired AD&D events that he'll be running, details to follow when he's back from a fun trip to a college reunion this weekend. I don't recall him mentioning running a children's game so far, but perhaps he'll consider designating one of the Barsoom events as a "family game" or somesuch---he has prepped children's games in the past, and really enjoys running such events.

I will probably run some levels excerpted from my version of Castle Greyhawk, as usual. Depending on the logisitics of Jon and I flying vs. driving to GaryCon, I may bring one of my big Aliens minis game setups, too. I ran Aliens at the bar on Thursday night last year:

[​IMG]

but because I flew, I wasn't able to bring the big set up I had at the North TX RPG Con in June:

[​IMG]

More pictures on my Facebook account in the "grodog's Miniatures" and the North TX RPG Con #3: 3-6 June 2011 albums.

19. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Man, that is so awesome. Can't wait!

20. francisca

francisca Troubadour

My 12 year old will be running an old-school D&D game for other gamers who are 9-12.

Guess I need to work with Donal to figure out how to restrict signups?

We'll probably limit participation to 6 players, as this will be his first convention experience behind the DM screen.